Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Email notification for password expiration

Email notification for password expiration would help! So many users do not see the little tiny quick popup window ever. They start their computer and open Outlook and walk away. This results in never seeing when my password will expire. Would like to have some type of option to have an email sent daily once you hit the 14 day window of needing to reset your password. Would be nice if we could customize it with a company logo also and have the options to change how many times to notify an end user. Maybe we only want one email to go out and some may want an email everyday.

465 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeff Cap shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jose Mercado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Back when they first started the O365, when its name was Exchange online, we had to install an app on the clients and it would notify users of password expiration. Not sure why this is not built in on the licensing module for O365 users with client side apps such as outlook and Office. Would be so simple and Im sure would be safer than email, since email phishing attacks are so prevalent now.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hate to say I disagree with any request, but I disagree with a notification email UNLESS it can be customized. There are SOOOOoooo many phishing emails out there that say your O365 password expired or something is wrong with your account. I tell my users, "MS never sends these notification emails so if you see any, you know it's a phish".

I current use a PowerShell script (hat tip: Spiceworks) to pull expiry info and send a custom email from our on prem AD. I use Azure AD Connect to sync passwords from our on prem AD domain with O365. I realize this wont work for smaller companies without IT staff or companies that do not have on prem AD (though I think this script can run against Azure AD, too).

Therefore, if we cannot customize the email notification from MS with our company logo or something, I suggest a drop down ribbon in Outlook and Outlook Online. The same way it tells you that there is a MS Upgrade with a button to click. A standard MS notification is too easy to phish.

Why has this not happened?! Many of my users don't use Outlook or login to the O365 site.

• LISPA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature asap since users out of our AD ignore if the password has expired or when will expire. Best regards.

• Saad Ali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely this feature should be available in Office365 Admin portal to send email notification before password expiry.

Regards,
        S. Ali

Hello team,

This option will be very useful for the Helpdesk team and administrators. Have you heard from them about this change...?
        I see that this subject has been on the rise since February.

Please add, having to engineer a solution disparate of the Office365 logon is ridiculous!

• Nicholas Gooding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is long over due. It would be great if the feature also included an attachment feature where a guide for resetting passwords can be added.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. I am an Admin and find myself dealing with expired passwords. We are using a password policy that will require a password change in 120 days. If they don't change it (because they dont see the warning on the outlook client 2016) they can still access their email for 14 days. After that they will need their password reset from an Admin. I have yet to see the warning on my OWA or client when passwords are ready to expire.

• Tyrone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have users on O365, without an on-premises server. Due to compliance reasons, they have asked us to set their e-mail passwords to expire every 90 days. However, they do not receive a notification through the Outlook application.

Is there an official work-around from Microsoft to notify users that their O365 passwords are about to expire?

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes agreed!

This should be an easy add-on for the office 365 team to incorporate this into the product as an option. Getting bombarded with password reset from users every 90 days. Email notification would be solution.

• Lukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, make it happen . This week was horrible in my company. All password expired and we had lots to do helping our employess changing it

• Ashraf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make it happen and how much vote do you need to make developer work on this voice?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base