Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Backup the exchange mailboxes! There is no exchange backup in office365.

When a number of "user created" exchange folders were hard deleted by mistake, we opened a premier case - 116120615030507. To make a long story short, we found out that there is no exchange backup of the exchange mailboxes in this case. If items are accidentally hard deleted by the customer, there is no recovery of the mailbox. This is a worse situation than we had on premise, where we could restore mailboxes.

Accidents happen, nobody is flawless and and you have to be able to restore from backup. We actually had to use a combination of mfc mapi and compliance center to restore the data on a one by one basis for a number of users, but clearly this method would not scale if a LOT of mailboxes or folders were wiped out. If an organization lost ALL of its email though a large mistake/hard delete, how would they recover all of the data quickly without an exchange backup? As a “cloud” company, “cloud recovery” should be offered. A one by one Compliance center manual recovery would not do it for large organizations, not to mention - user created folder structure is not saved in compliance center. "Cloud" should not add layers of manual management, or require 3rd party backup software.

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
John McNamara shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had to physically recover (deleted files in deleted folder). but of course could not restore the folder structure.
    a point-in-time backup facility ( recoverable up to 30 days or even 14 days ) would provide ease of mind to end users, business owners and managers.
    We have to resort to 3rd party office365 backup (Barracuda) to ensure a point-in-time restoration is possible. these are kept perpetually but limited to medium to large companies, and small businesses miss out.

• marmee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try the office 365 backup tool and easily Backs up Office 365 mailboxes in PST files.

Office 365 Backup Tool

The software features are
    Backs up Office 365 mailboxes in PST files & restores when needed.
    Allows to backup of single & multiple Office 365 mailboxes.
    Backs up multiple Office 365 mailboxes using a CSV file.
    Filters Office 365 mailbox data before backing up.
    Allows excluding Deleted folder and empty folders from backup.
    Restore/imports PST files to Office 365 mailboxes when needed.
    Saves log report in CSV format after backup/restore.
    Suitable for non-technical users because of easy to use interface.

http://office365backuptool.blogspot.com

• Pankaj Dohre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many third-party tools available and MailsDaddy Office 365 Backup Tool is one of them, but the best think of this application is that the tool export Office 365 Mailbox data like emails, contacts, calendars, appointments, and attachments etc into PST or other formats like MBOX, MSG, and EML etc.
    For more details you can visit:
    http://www.osttooffice365.com/office365-mailbox-backup-tool.php

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a standard feature - to be able to use a restore point if something's gone wrong on a user account is essential- A mysterious bug managed to delete some of my folders in outlook when I wasn't even logged on .... Hundreds of e mails in sub folders which I could only recover to my inbox with no idea which folder they came from .
    This has my 3 votes

• Chris S commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is still an issue nowadays. 3rd party solutions exist while Microsoft could easily integrate this within azure recovery services vaults ...my 3 votes are in ;-)
    PS a good measure for comparison (and which is also selling,so hint, microsoft, you do not have to offer this for free!)

https://www.avepoint.com/products/office-365-services/office-365-backup/exchange-online-backup/

• Scott MacKnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! It's ridiculous that we have no way to protect ourselves from these problems -- whether caused by the user, IT, some script, or a third-party tool. I had half of my Contacts corrupted for reasons unknown and was told that:
    1. there's no backup/restore option
    2. there's not going to be one in the near future
    3. there's no way to determine what caused this
    4. there's no tool that can be run to protect against this in the future

I don't see why there isn't either a backup tool that we can run or at the very least, a database-level log that monitors changes to our OST files that can identify where these changes originate and ideally, notifies us of atypical behaviors such as the one I encountered.

• Sean Neilon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am willing to pay more for a premium version of Exchange in Office 365 that offers a backup option. Yes, instead of $5.00 a month I am willing to consider $8.00 to $10.00 per user per month. Make a premium service, put it on the table, let those who want and NEED backups to pay for it. The money is on the table and there are many others who feel the same way. Take our money and give us a backup solution!

Feedback and Knowledge Base