Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Reporting and/or monitoring for OneDrive client sync status.

A report or monitor that shows OneDrive sync client health status would give support teams the tools to remediate file-sync issues before they turn into data-loss issues.

As it stands, the only visibility we have into OneDrive sync health (Groove or Next-Gen client) is to ask users to self-report when they see a sync error. This is difficult to do in a small environment, and near impossible in large environments.

689 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill Mitchell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A monitoring system to monitor if a users OneDrive is syncing or not will help Admins have full control on their systems. A good add and this would be highly welcomed.

And alerts for admins or at least more clear alerts for users would be welcomed!

• Eline commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If one file in the ondedrive syn receives an error, all files seem to be paused until the error is fixed. Often people do not notice a file being in error and they have no idea that all other synced files are not being synced anymore. This already let to many misunderstandings. Colleagues don't see changes to a doc, while the person involved is sure he/she changed it and saved it. They find onedrive instable.... Having an ability to see files in error enables us to touch base with the user involved and prevent further issues.

This would be really useful, we have had issues with our users loosing the sync without realising. Please make it a priority

This I critical as we have a non-tech savvy user base and we need to know if sync is failing from a central point so we can then fix before data loss occurs

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - In addition to monitoring sync status, we would also like to be able to monitor if the sync client is running and if the user is signed in.
        Basically, we need options to check if our user's files are synced, as we can't rely on them reporting sync issues, or even noticing that the sync client is not signed in.

• Matt Shafer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's amazing to me that this is not already a feature. A C-level staff member recently thought he lost his entire report to the Board of Directors because he was trying to re-sync his one-drive folder, chose a new location to be safe, and because OneDrive had not been syncing successfully it created a new local OneDrive location without that data. Fortunately it was still intact in another folder but it was a very stressful 60 minutes or so until this was figured out. If we had some way to identify users that weren't syncing we could have addressed this ahead of time.

This is a must have- just like you would want to know if your file server was not working, this has exactly the same impact. Another example– you'd like to know if your backup software wasn't working, yes? That's why you get an admin report from them that shows you if you have endpoints that aren't connecting successfully. This should 100% be part of the OneDrive Admin center.

• TC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, there is definitely a need for being able to centrally monitor the status of OD4B across the enterprise.
        The only thing I have found is this https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/rodneyviana/2017/06/06/powershell-cmdlet-to-check-onedrive-for-business-or-onedrive-personal-status/ - it is better than nothing but far from ideal.
        We have been using OD4B for over a year now and from time to time we have stumbled across unhealthy OD4B syncs on a number of occasions, and it has just been luck that it has not yet led to data loss.

• Jason Bretz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After utilizing our paid MS Premier support, I was advised to relay my situation to this support thread to possibly explain our issue and possibly escalate this need within this thread. Here is the initial request I provided.

We recently had a data loss situation with a OneDrive for Business user and we’re looking for a way to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Users are being told they no longer have home directories (stored on local servers that are backed up) and if they store files locally in the appropriate OD4B folder the files will be backed up. Here’s what happened... User was set up for OD4B and the user’s home directory files were moved to his local system in the appropriate folder. The OD4B sync occurred successfully. At some point the OD4B client stopped syncing. The user didn’t notice and continued to work, saving files in the folder that was supposed to be synced. Files were shift-deleted from his OD4B folder bypassing the recycle bin. The user realized he needed the files that were created and modified some time between when the OD4B client stopped syncing and the deletion. Obviously, the files never made it to OD4B online so they couldn’t be recovered from there and the shift-delete prevented them from going into the recycle bin. I am aware there are 3rd party applications available for purchase that can recover deleted or lost files but I’m trying to be proactive instead of reactive.
        I’m wondering what other companies are doing to mitigate this risk? I’d like to think there is a report somewhere in O365 that will show all users that are actively syncing files and/or a status report for the OD4B sync client. Please take a quick look at this thread which details exactly what I’m trying to accomplish.
        https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/15879783-reporting-and-or-monitoring-for-onedrive-client-sy

Anyone have a solution?

• Jeff D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - there needs to be some baked-in functionality to send off an alert (not just a report) when sync has stopped. We can't rely upon end users to alert us when the sync icons have disappeared.

+1 to everything already said here. We're migrating from Syncrify to OneDrive for Business and have already had data loss issues because we no longer have the detailed visibility into the client status that we had with Syncrify. Fewer half-baked "enterprise" solutions, please MS!

• Ian Bloomfield commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are planning to roll out OneDrive for all of our managed clients, but as everyone who has posted here knows, there will be some issues, such as unsupported characters in file names or excessive file path. Our clients pay us to monitor their systems and proactively address issues, but we currently have no visibility of the OneDrive sync status, so we are unable to proactively address these issues.

Alex Lush below summed up the requirements very nicely:
        1) A basic text log on the local machine that admins could remotely access.
        2) Windows event logging of sync failures.
        2) Log to the Office365 Unified Log.
        3) Add a report to the Office 365 Admin Portal detailing 'Users with sync errors'.

This is certainly a feature that I would consider a must have. A central alert system for monitoring one drive. Microsoft has a push (based on a conversation we just had with a Microsoft Fasttrack representative) to get our users to sync all their files with onedrive. We are already doing this but it's extremely flaky. The app continuously fails for a variety of reasons. If the push is to have this as an enterprise level solution it should have enterprise levels of monitoring.

• TC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is vital even for smaller clients. We heavily rely on OneDrive for Business to sync files across devices, as well as being a backup for files stored on local drives. To have visibility of when this is not working correctly is very important to us.

yes, this is a must.
        I have all user desktops synced to Onedrive as well as them saving files into the onedrive folder., Sometimes the Sync client disconnects and the user does not re-connect leaving their files un-synced.

• DS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES. If a OD client loses sync or has merge errors, users rarely notice right away. A better suggestion might be "Make OneDrive way more stable".

• Yakov Goldberger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that when a file had an error syncing and it's past 24h, it should be reported to the user or admin by email.

• Bob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely critical. We sync our users desktop and documents to OneDrive for Business.

Scenario: They create a file with a bad file name and save. They don't see the sync error. Their disk crashes. They've lost the file.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base