Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Improve PST import tool performance

We found that Import jobs of more than one PST to Mailbox mapping either took an extremely long time to import, or got stuck and never completed. The most reliable way to use the tool was to create individual one-to-one mappings, which meant creating hundreds of jobs when one should have been fine. We also found that imports where the total PST size of multiple mailboxes was over 10 Gb were much more likely to fail or take way too long to finish. Given that Mailbox limits are 50GB, this 10GB limit is too small.

44 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex Carlock shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • steve smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can do manually importing single pst file to office365. But you can’t import multiple pst files manually. So, to overcome from this problem you have to use tools. In these tools you can perform many functions like import bulk pst files, recover pst files and many more.

I suggest you to use PST Converter. If you are not aware with the working of software, then start with free demo.

References: http://www.recoverymails.com/pst-file-converter.html

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To import PST to Office 365, you can use Emailsoftwares Import PST to Office 365 software. The software can very easily migrate healthy PST or OST file to Office 365
        and Exchange. The software helps to import PST files to mailboxes, archive mailboxes, and public folders of Office 365 and Exchange. For more information, visit:

From here :- http://www.emailsoftwares.com/migrate-outlook-pst-to-office-365.html

• Don commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using the IMAP migration tool was a massive waste of time for me. It took so long to not do anything that I ended up just doing it all manually, using all my data and wasting 5 days of time. I schedule the migration over the weekend for obvious reasons but ended up taking the whole week too because your system does not provide an accurate status.

• allenborder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use to the simple method if you are suffering the .pst to office 365 format. Users can try to Outlook PST to MS Office 365 Conversion Tool with the help of this utility you can migrate/switch to your PST file into office 365 formats. Previous to occasionally, I am also suffering the same problem to exchange data from PST to MS office 365 file format then I used to this software who I got on Google and help to convert my Outlook file into MS office 365. https://www.softaken.com/pst-to-office-365-importer

• NvB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have nothing but bad things to say about the PST import tool, and O365 in general for that matter. It constantly creates headaches for myself and my team.
        It would be invaluable to be able to import/export PST via Powershell, like can be done in Exchange. I was looking at manually migrating the data from 90 mailboxes from five O365 tenancies into one. This is an absolute nightmare as there are NO supported pathways. Add to that, the fact that Outlook locks up during exports and imports, makes it impossible to run in the background. SMH for O365!

• Martin Tillbrook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also seeing VERY slow performance. I'm trying to import one 20GB PST into a user's archive at the moment. Its been running now for 24hours and is only at 77%.
        My initial upload to Microsoft's blob storage took less than an hour - I don't understand why its taking so long to import now from MS's own storage infrastructure?

• Desmond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are poor performance, my company 3000 user upload the pst to o365 online archive and then I get a complain because the upload pst slow + hang problem.

• Mario P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just assisted my customer to do 3.5 GIGS and it's only 55% done? what is going on?
        Also this tool is not new but in the documentation no one took the time to mention that the name of the files is also case sensitive? we found this out at the time to validate after 4hours.

Can you please fix that in the documentation at least?

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Use-network-upload-to-import-PST-files-to-Office-365-103f940c-0468-4e1a-b527-cc8ad13a5ea6

• Gerald Hopf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The performance of the PST Import is abysmal. I've used it for importing two PST files into two mailboxes: one 37GB in size and one 95GB in size. The 37GB worked fine but took a long long time. About 40-50 hours to import. This is not acceptable performance in 2017 and seriously derails any efforts to migrate users overnight or over-weekend without downtime in their "work-ability".

It also was slower than Microsofts own FAQ claims ("import speed at least 1GB/hour")

For my 95GB import (into a 100GB account): it silently failed at about the 30GB mark and just stopped importing any more data. There was nothing in the detailed logs that showed why that might have happened and support was unable to help or explain it either.

Please fix the PST import. In the age of SSDs that can transfer 1TB a second, an import speed of less that 1GB an hour is just a slap in the face of customers who want to migrate to your platform.

Feedback and Knowledge Base