Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Deleting an item in a shared mailbox should move the item to the shared mailbox's deleted items

Today you have to use the regkey DelegateWastebasketStyle to control the behaviour when deleting items in a shard mailbox.

This should have a PowerShell command, just like for sent items (set-mailbox shared@contoso.com -MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled $True)

One of the companys i manage Office365 for has, no AD which means no GPO's to use with regkeys, no consistensy in Office versions and thus this gets unmanageble.

Please add a way for me to control this centrally in Exchange Online.

422 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Lars Olsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Turnschuhadmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Makes me really sad that this can't even be done via powershell for shared mailboxes on 365. It's nearly impossible to explain that to a customer that the mail he is deleting inside that mailbox is not under the "mailbox\deleted items" folder. Same goes for the default behavior of sent mails, it's just counter intuitive. I know the sent items behavior can be configured now (still a bad default to me), but the deleted items are still not configurable.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do use auto mapping for a large user base. Adding the shared mailbox to outlook as a separate account would be much trouble.
    Currently we do use registry keys to copy sent items and deleted items to the shared mailbox appropriate folder.
    This leads to different behavior if you use outkook or OWA.
    The user experience should be similar on both! Plus our workplace team (dealing with workstations) would love to send everyone to OWA.
    The setting already exists for sent items (i.e. on behalf), i think the short answer is that it should exist for deleted items.

And then we can be more relaxed on outlook installations and communication to users saying that OWA is not Outlook. These two things represents less work for the whole organisation.

to thomas,

No that is a really bad idea, first of that would cost more because it will require atleast a exchage online license for eatch mailbox and MessageCopyForSentAsEnabled exist already and works perfect,

Setting DelegateWastebasketStyle through a server setting instead of local registry entry would be good. This way one would know when an email has been sent from a SharedMailbox's mailbox.

Yes, figured this would be done already! Sorry to hear that its still pending. The comment above me won't work because a shared mailbox needs to be attached to a licensed mailbox, by design. So we still need a powershell workaround to keep items that are sent from or deleted from a shared mailbox, with that shared mailbox.

• Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the shared Mailbox as an additional account via the Outlook backplane and remove it from the Default Mail Profile. That way all sent items and deleted itmes are saved in the corresponding folders of the shared Mailbox. Even rules can now be configured for the shared Mailbox. No further configuration is necessary. The parameter "MessageCopyForSentAsEnabed" is total BS and makes no sense at all.

Feedback and Knowledge Base