Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Make is possible to change tenant name in Office365

Iv realized that there is no option to change the tenant name in Office365.

This would be a great tool for businesses that change their name and want to keep their current solution in Office365.

A simple task like changing the tenant name for Office365 would save businesses allot of time.

5,403 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ole Morten Støbakk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

175 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jason Kohlhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very nice if you could change the organization name of a free Microsoft Teams tenant also.

• Brandon Carlson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor tenant naming choice by a 3rd party provider that didn't consult us. Blows my mind we are just stuck with it.

• Brad PFEFFER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous, there should be no restriction on which domains and sub-domains you organise between tenants. Domains can be removed if no objects in the directory (users, groups, etc.) are using them. Microsoft even automates the removal of aliases on these objects when you're trying to forcibly remove a domain from a tenant. I'm not 100% clear if you are referring to 'tenant' or 'domain' as in 'internet domain name' though. Could you elaborate on the exact configuration you have now? You can use sample names and I'm sure someone here can guide you as to the best way to address your concern. It doesn't appear, in your case, that changing the tenant name [tenant_name].onmicrosoft.com will be of any use to you.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An old IT provider added what is now the parent company domain name below a subsidiary company. We have other entities and would like them to be under the parent rather than the subsidiary domain. We need the ability to change or at least reorder the hierarchy.

• Ibrar Taki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this due to company merger and migrating to another new Office 365 will be a nightmare.

Especially when you can't migrate MS Teams data.

Please allow the change of Tenant Name

• Bariss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It ain't gonna happen folks. Microsoft is devoting all its resources to OneDrive. SharePoint is a dinosaur compared to alternatives like Sharefile. Can you imagine that you cannot request a secure file by link in SharePoint from a nonuser? Even DropBox does it seamlessly. The name "SharePoint" is misleading, there is no sharing there. Sharefile allows you to use 3 customized domains... and you can change them. Try that with SharePoint. We've been asking for this feature since 2014 and yet... NOTHING!

• O365-Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still?!? For crying out loud, this is insane! The tenant ID is visible in so many places and ours has a typo in it which is driving me completely insane. This single issue is preventing me from developing much further with Office 365. There must be options to use some kind of alias-style vanity URL as and when needed. SORT THIS OUT MICROSOFT.

• Charlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is almost embarrassingly obvious necessary feature. I realize that it goes deeper than just Office365 into Azure, but that doesn't make a difference in it's importance. Developers need to be shifted into creating a solution. As one suggested, some form of vanity alias, keeping the tenant domain the same would also work. Something has to happen. Company decision makers don't believe me when I say it's not possible, because there's such a high need, they figure it has to be possible.

can't believe this is still being discussed. It's been an issue for as long O365 has been around.

• Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In our case our AAD existed for several years and was used for Azure prior to licensing O365. With Azure the tenant name did not matter much and was not visible for most things. Now we have significant usage of Azure and AAD and as we look to deploy O365 the tenant name is not ideal for branding internally with users or externally while sharing files with SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams etc. Microsoft Azure experts suggest that given the complexities with Azure, AAD, AADC and so forth that their advice would be to avoid a tenant migration but if we want the tenant name changed that is the only way to accomplish it and we should engage a partner.

Ideally, we would like a vanity URL capability to apply to all of the various places that the tenant name is exposed. We would also like the ability to apply a different vanity URL default per user or group. For example, <CORP-DOMAIN>, <BUSUNIT1-DOMAIN>,<BUSUNIT2-DOMAIN> where individual business units may operate under separate email domains while part of one central CORP IT.

CONTACT YOUR OFFICE 365 SUPPORT AND REQUEST YOUR FEEDBACK TO BE SUBMITTED TO THE PRODUCT TEAM. Also request that they have someone from the product team contact you back to assure they received your request. Do not take "no" for an answer; keep the ticket open until they do as you ask. Microsoft needs to respond to this thread. Open since 2015 with no Uservoice response, unacceptable practice and a strange feature to be missing in 2015, let alone 2018.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base