Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Make is possible to change tenant name in Office365

Iv realized that there is no option to change the tenant name in Office365.

This would be a great tool for businesses that change their name and want to keep their current solution in Office365.

A simple task like changing the tenant name for Office365 would save businesses allot of time.

7,165 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Ole Morten Støbakk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

236 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nuno Serrenho commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really can't believe this hasn't been done yet. Our Microsoft evangelist said it was in the pipeline in Jan 2018. So disappointing that I'm now looking at planning a tenant to tenant migration and wasting days of time because you can't get it together to figure out how rename a tenant id.

• Daniel Mare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I assume by "tenant name" Ole Morten means the .onmicrosoft.com initial domain? This is visible not only to end users, but to customers and parties outside of the organisation, e.g. DKIM email headers, SharePoint URLs, etc.

• Glenn Pence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the ability to use an alias for SharePoint and OneDrive names. Our formal corporate name is 31 characters long, but we are universally known by our 4 letter acronym.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix our problem in changing the SharePoint Domain URL. I would like to quote Microsoft's statement with this issue "To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz)."

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Matthew's comment, it is unclear whether "renaming the Office 365 Tenant" and "changing the SharePoint domain URL" are the same thing. They might be, but the change in terminology between the problem and proposed solution is interesting.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft gave an answer to this question in March 2019 on SharePoint UserVoice (at https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/13217277-enable-renaming-the-site-collection-urls). The update says: "Thanks for your feedback! Just a note to let you know that we’re building your suggestion now. We plan to increase availability to this feature throughout 2019.

Corporate lifecycle is a real and constant pressure in business, often resulting in a need to rename the Office 365 Tenant. To that end we are working on the solution to change the SharePoint domain URL (contoso.sharepoint.com renamed to fabrikam.sharepoint.com). This capability will also then enable the renaming of an individual site collection (contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/abc to contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/xyz).

While we don’t have an estimated delivery date to share at this time, we’ll update your suggestion with details as they become available.

Matthew Carlson
    Microsoft"

• Nadav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We were bought by another company and now we need to change the tenant name. WE have more than 3000 employees. Doing it manually will be a nightmare

• Jon Scarpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to change the tenant name or use alternate access mappings (CNAME) for sites in our Office 365 tenant, examples SharePoint, OneDrive and Power Apps.

• Nuno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this not done yet? This is probably the most requested feature. I was told my our assigned Microsoft evangelist that it was being worked on last June (2018) and here were are almost a year later and no news. Very disappointing Microsoft.

Unfortunately, the tenant URL is visible to end users in several applications. This has been a top requested need by all organizations in the current dynamic business environment. When will this be prioritized?

• Larry Larsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would make the difference of our college going to SharePoint online or not. Please add.

Agree. Affects me because of long path names exceeding 250 char limit because of long Onedrive home folder name that includes long company name.

• Tim Meuter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even being able to use your own domain as an alias for SharePoint would be a nice option.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base