Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Provide an ability to disable refresh warning when opening a workbook using Excel Services in SharePoint online

The warning message "Be careful. This workbook contains one or more queries that might be unsafe. Do you want to enable these queries?" show every time a user opens a workbook with external connection or opens a page with a web part showing that workbook. That is the case even if the external data used in the workbook is located in a list on the same SharePoint site as the workbook. The message is very annoying to users and we need to have an option to disable it. This option already exists for SharePoint Server.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Brian C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature as soon as possible. It is a major bug for SharePoint Online.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have so many people complaining about this warning as they are sick of seeing it and wasting their clicks closing it.

• Richard Pickles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's incredibly annoying … you can stop the error for externa data refresh failed by turning on Periodically Refresh if Enabled in Workbook this let me click the YES option but many users still click no as they are unsure.
    My data is inside the same site as well

Still an issue. Also, this also seems to have something to do with the update failing! If click yes it shows error ‘External Data Refresh Failed:We are unable to refresh one or more data connections in this workbook.

• RC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stop it by unchecking: Refresh data when opening the file

Within the excel file connections properties under the Data Tab.

• Brodie Doornbusch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its been a year, has this option been enabled for Office 365 users? I have been searching around but cannot find any resolution for SharePoint Online/Office365 users.

There should be some trusted location available in Tenant or Site collection level. Workaround is must needed for this.

• Richard Solley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree; annoying and unnecessarily worrying for users when displaying data from internal and trusted external sources.

• David Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is causing my users to click 'No' out of fear, which means that they are not getting up-to-date data and exactly the opposite of what I want to achieve using the Excel Web Access web part.

Feedback and Knowledge Base