Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Need a way to force sync all my users' photos from exchange online to sharepoint online

Need a way to force sync all my users' photos from exchange online to sharepoint online. The user photos do not sync unless they visit their profile page. But many of our users don't do that resulting in the blank head shot photo which annoys our upper mgmt. We ask our users to hit their profile page but they do not always comply and we have thousands of users. So the photo feature is of limited usefulness and just ends up confusing people who expect a photo to show for everyone in the company. This has been a big problem for us for the last 2 years. Surprised Microsoft has not addressed by now.

742 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. User profile photos appear correctly in Outlook, Outlook online, Teams app, Delve, Yammer - basically, everywhere except Sharepoint. This is a major issue for our company.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently have an open case with support as we have found even the workaround below

'1) The user has an Exchange license/mailbox. In this case the picture can be set in Exchange. From there it will sync from Exchange Online to SharePoint Online. The user must navigate to their Delve Profile Page to trigger the sync from Exchange Online to SharePoint Online. This can only happen every 72 hours. '

No longer works either...reason not yet determined. Will update if we get a resolutions

Can't believe this function/feature doesn't already exists. Constantly get bugged from HR department because they think something is wrong with SharePoint or that the pictures weren't uploaded when they were.

• Ed Megrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this ever going to be fixed? This is very frustrating. We have a small user base (less than 400 users) but it still presents a huge issue. What can be done to fix this? Is there a method//script etc, that we can reliably use to force the photo sync so that O365 apps will see it properly?

I use Windows Server 2016 Essentials on the ground and have AD photos syncing around my network and use Azure AD Connect to sync AD up to Azure. So, at this point it properly inserts the users pictures onto their accounts in Azure only. It does not sync the users's photos to the rest of the Office 365 web apps. Is there a way to make the AD pics sync all they way through Azure into the Office 365 side?

I would also like users to have the ability to change their picture in Office 365 and have them sync over to Azure and then back down to their AD accounts on the ground and around the local network.

Any ideas?

This has been going on for over 2 years, just as it was stated by Anonymous 2 on Jan 19th. I tried to escalate our problem, but this was the only reply (which is not working for us by the way)

We acknowledge that this is a scenario that stands to be improved. We are currently working on it and this will take some time. This link shows the process of SharePoint profile picture synchronization https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3185286 .

At present, to update a user’s profile in SharePoint one of the following flows must happen:

1) The user has an Exchange license/mailbox. In this case the picture can be set in Exchange. From there it will sync from Exchange Online to SharePoint Online. The user must navigate to their Delve Profile Page to trigger the sync from Exchange Online to SharePoint Online. This can only happen every 72 hours.

2) The user doesn’t have an Exchange mailbox. In this case the picture needs to be uploaded to SharePoint directly. The only way to do this is via the UI.

Once done, there is a propagation time depending on the size of the SharePoint site.
    Please upvote the following topic on the UserVoice Customer Feedback site related to this. This feedback helps us prioritize.

https://office365.uservoice.com/forums/273493-office-365-admin/suggestions/10078710-need-a-way-to-force-sync-all-my-users-photos-from

Thank you,
    Office 365 Support Team

The OP says this has been a problem for him for 2 years. He posted that 2 years ago. And Microsoft want to compete against dynamic, fast-moving companies like Google and Amazon...

• Jenny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need this functinality also...increadibly frustrating!!

• Jim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All (and I do mean all) of my SharePoint Online clients complain about this problem. This really needs to be fixed.

Give us one photo management endpoint which will handle replicating the user photo to all Office 365 workloads (including Yammer). Ideally, it would allow a flag to be set if a user overrides the photo (via OWA for instance) that was set by IT admins so that when the process runs again it doesn't overwrite their custom photo they uploaded.

Feedback and Knowledge Base