Feedback by UserVoice

How can we improve the tenant admin features O365?

Sort Skype for business (Lync) GROUPS alphabetically. Omitted over many revisions, especially for business.

I have many thousands in my company and interact with individuals mainly by their groups, so as people leave or join the company, my Lync groups content changes. This makes group names my hierarchical focus when I need to contact a resource. To have to look up and down a list of 50 unsorted group names each time, for the specific group I need, so as to contact a resource, is a pain without alphabetical sorting. The feature to sort groups as well as individuals should be a given but MS has left it out in revisions of this product, which baffles me. Even if only a few people were asking for it (which is definitely not the case), I would think competitively, you would want a more robust tool that includes that feature, especially for business.

152 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Collapse all the groups. Expand the group you want to move, then collapse it. Then you can click-and-drag to reorder it in the list.

You solved it for me! "collapse all your groups, then, one at a time, expand a group and drag-and-drop it into the order you want it." i.e. expand the group before moving it. thx

Right click the group you want to move and press [U] or [D] - repeat...
    Not ideal but much, much faster just using the mouse.

• Peter D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

right click on the group name - popup menu has "move group up/down" items...

If you're holding your breath for a solution, don't. Skye for Business is being replaced with MS Teams at some point. Your guess is as good as mine if that product this issue or not.

I the meantime, collapse all your groups, then, one at a time, expand a group and drag-and-drop it into the order you want it.

• Tony Streano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a basic feature that should be added as soon as possible. Having to sort and re-sort is time consuming and should be unnecessary. Please add the group-sort feature as soon as possible.

• D Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a frustrating lack of functionality. What is worse is when you move from one PC to another or a PC is replaced, you have to go through the manual sort process all over again. It does not stay with your profile.

I fully agree with the sentiment of this thread, it seems it should be a simple enough thing to do... sure you can take (more like waste) an inordinate amount of time to manually move your groups around and then manage new ones manually and that all works "ok" ... until you get upgraded... than you have to do it ALL OVER AGAIN... please fix this!

• NSmith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just discovered that you can drag-and-drop your groups to order them. You must first collapse all groups and then click-and-drag to the order you want. I have not tested to see it this is persistent through reboot.

• Peter Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time to add alphabetical groups! Working for a fortune 500 company that pays for the license I can't believe we dumped a perfectly good in house product for Skype for business. I have O365 at home on a personal license also...

• Robert Eastman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have approximately 35 groups for different departments and have 10 of the 68 offices we have in the firm and will not add the others because of this feature has not been added. Come on Microsoft, get you S together! ;)

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This post is a year and a half old and Skype for Business is getting more popular with no attention to this issue. I was just trying to organize my groups after my latest update because for some reason it stuck my co-workers at the very bottom of my groups (seems to arrange them randomly). I was attempting to rename the group and suddenly my screen refreshed and the group was deleted:( Microsoft's new development methodology really sucks.

Critical functionality, which I feel is missing. Was available even in Lync 2013. Just not there in Skype for Business

I now count at least 3 Lync Admin suggestions calling for this, one with almost 50 votes, this one with almost 30 and so on; by far the highest demanded feature in Lync/Skype. How is it that this is getting no traction? Who runs this Office 365 forum and is supposed to pipe suggestions here for dev action, or should I ask what this site is for if not as a source for actionable feedback? Would someone take a look at this and at the very least, reply? I made this original post and am still baffled at the complete silence and lack of recognition on this topic. Again, it is only the most requested feature for Lync/Skype here, so who is responsible?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base