Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Custom installation from Office 365 (2016)

I need custom installation from Office 365 (2016)!

I need on some computers only Word & Excel. But I MUST install the complete suite with all other never used apps. This need diskspace, that I will use for other apps.

Kind Regards,
Steffen

1,259 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

150 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I get it, you can use a custom XML to modify the feature states (using DOS commands.... right). And in my organization that brings us to a total (so far) of 32 different custom XML files that I need to give my techs to be able to do what they can currently do by checking a box. This is absolutely unacceptable. Microsoft's answer is to manage it all with the SCCM O365 Client Settings node. So now something that could be decided on the fly by the tech, or installed as needed is all going to fall on me as the SCCM admin to become the gatekeeper of every person's rights to which feature set they have. What's that Mr. Director? Why didn't the updates go out this month? Sorry I was managing feature states. Every suite of software EVER has had the ability to modify the feature states. This is a basic basic thing. This software doesn't even have a gui when you double click setup, it has to be installed with DOS commands. I am just floored that this is not being fixed ASAP. Even in the new janky Settings App there is a button that says Modify, but all it lets you do is remove or repair, not really modify anything. Who is this better for? Microsoft. Only them. It is creating an avalanche of work for me and my department, and will become a whole new job duty to continue to monitor it down the road. Because now not only am I the gatekeeper of who gets what, now I am the only person who can fix Mrs. Smith when her Access didn't install. She's in the correct collection, everything looks right, but it didn't install. Why? I am going to have to figure that out, yet more work piled on me, when before it could have been handled by any of the techs.

It is wise to install the entire suite in the hard drive. You can do it by customization or do in general.

• Dr. A. Burose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is really recommended to install all user programs on a different drive from the system-drive.
        So Office-365 has to be able to store its programs on a different drive D:, E:, etc.
        This also has security reasons.

As long as this is not possible, the usage of Office-365 is an absolute NoGo !

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ich möchte auch darum bitten, die Laufwerksauswahl bei der Installation von Office wieder einzuführen. Gerade in Zeiten, wo Kunden zunehmend mit Tablets arbeiten, ***********************************************, sollte es selbstverständlich sein, Installationen auf ein größeres *************************************. Mir fehlt hier als Kunde jegliches Verständnis für die technische Notwendigkeit eines solchen *********.

• Igor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Barbara Feldon
        I'm afraid it's a completely inappropriate answer. MSO had finely customizable installer for a very long time. What happened to it and to installer team? Same happened to VS, where VS2010 had only option "Insall all ****". It took MS literally 8 years to finally hear its customers and provide proper installer in VS2017. If MSO team is unable to do it right, go to VS team and ask them to do the job.

The tool you suggested is for admins and bulk deployment. It's like I'll suggest you to go and configure LHC to get some laser carving.

• Armin Gurschler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My standard programm folder is d:\programms, changed with regedit.
        I am not able to install office 365 proplus at all.
        The install routine stops at 51%.
        All my other installed programms do work properly.
        If I install office 365 on c drive and change standard programm path afterwards, I do have problems as well.
        I do need office 365 to do my homework otherwise I would use alternatives.

Ich möchte selbst besrimmen auf welchem Laufwerk ich meine Progarmme installiere. Bei Anpassung der XML Datei kommt von MS die Antwort dass der Download nicht möglich ist. Habe die XML DAtei mehrfach überprüft.

Ich möchte selbst besrimmen auf welchem Laufwerk ich meine Progarmme installiere. Bei Anpassung der XML Datei kommt von MS die Antwort dass der Download nicht möglich ist. Habe die XML DAtei mehrfach überprüft.

BITTE MS führt bei der Installationsroutine wieder die möglichkeit ein den Speicherort für die Programme festzulegen.

BITTE MS führt bei der Installationsroutine wieder die möglichkeit ein den Speicherort für die Programme festzulegen.

• Mi Nic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sowohl die Angabe des Speicherortes, als auch die Beschränkung der Installation auf einzelne Komponenten sollten möglich sein. Gerade in zeiten von mobilen geräten mit noch begrenztem lokalen Speicherplatz...

• Shashidhar Joliholi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

User following XML code

<Configuration>
        <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Monthly">
        <Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">
        <Language ID="en-us" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="PowerPoint" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="Outlook" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
        <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher" />
        </Product>
        </Add>
        </Configuration>

• friedrich-eugen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well,, since about 30 Years I have been using MS Software in office and on all family-NBs, properly cared for and properly installed.

I happen to have enough licences for office 2016, but only one installation-iso, that allows to modify my installation path, and only 0ne licence, that is accepted. MS does not allow to use this perfectly working ISO with different keys.

I m o there is no sensible justification for hampering user or institutions in choosing the location (partition/order) diferent from C: for an installation of ms-office, but there are quiet a lot of sensible reasons just to want to do that.

If I find not tool to comfortably (up to now none) do just that, I'll go back to my older office.

MS should listen to its users, or else it will loose acceptance and marketshares. For shure.

• Dieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ich bitte auch darum das man Microsoft Office auf einen anderen Laufwerk installieren kann.

Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
        dass ich kein Ziellaufwerk mehr angeben kann und keine Programmpakete auswählen kann, ist ja wohl ein sehr schlechter Witz. Diese Bevormundung von Microsoft meiner Person gegenüber verärgert mich sehr!! ICH entscheide, wo ich was installiere und nicht Microsoft! So werde ich mit Sicherheit nach dem Kauf von Office 2016, was ich bereits sehr bereue, in Zukunft auf Software ausweichen, die dass erlaubt. MfG S.Scholz

• Holger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ich möchte selbst bestimmen können wo ich mein Office 2016 Paket insatllieren kann. Leider musste ich feststellen, dass es nicht möglich ist auf einer sowieso begrenzten 32GB eMMC Festplatte das festzulegen ??? Wo Windows schon allein über 20GB an Platz einnimmt und ich schon alles was geht runtergeschmissen habe.

• Zwerg7 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Früher dachte ich mal 32GB SSD sollten für den Betrieb eines Tablets reichen. Speicherfressenden Updates und Zwangsinstallation großer Programm-Pakete (z.B. MS-Office) auf Laufwerk C haben mich eines besseren belehrt. Was nutzt eine 500GB-Platte wenn sie für derartige Programme nicht genutzt werden kann? Gerne würde ich zukünftig wieder selbst entscheiden dürfen, was auf meinem Rechner wo gespeichert wird (z.B. Betriebssystem auf C:\, Programme auf D:\ und Dateien auf E:\ .

• Blumm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ich bitte darum das man Microsoft Office auf einen anderen Laufwerk installieren kann, unter Windows 10

The answer is to buy a Mac. You can do this if you own an Apple Mac, but you can't if you own MICROSOFT Windows. No, seriously....

I don't think you want this to be the answer, Microsoft, so you better get started fixing this instead of forcing people to run the Office Deployment tool. "Ain't nobody got time for that"

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/update-history-for-office-2016-for-mac-700cab62-0d67-4f23-947b-3686cb1a8eb7

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base