I suggest you ...

Business Contact Manager For Outlook 2016

For years I've been using Business Contact Manager with Outlook. After upgrading to Outlook to 2016 I'm told via a pop-up box AFTER launching the program for the first time that BCM is no longer compatible. Note, I'm not warned about this until AFTER the upgrade. Now I'm stuck without the ability to roll back to Outlook 2013. How about warning users BEFORE upgrading or make BCM work with the current version of Outlook?

193 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SteveSteve shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Following the release of Outlook Customer Manager, the Office 365 team is working on something new that will bring out additional capabilities for small businesses – for email marketing, and more. We’d love to get your feedback. If you’re interested in previewing the new capabilities and sharing feedback, please fill this survey – https://aka.ms/bizappspreviewsurvey.

101 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • R HarrisR Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BOOM! IT'S DONE

... more like, boom! we don't know what we are doing and we don't care if that means you lose years of work and data. Microsoft's decision to ditch BCM and replace it with a half-baked OCM is inexplicable, but how much they valued their existing users when making that decision is very clear. They didn't.

• Graham DoddGraham Dodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OCM is very frustrating. I've been working with the MS Tech support for over 4 weeks and the thing still won't work. Why did they roll out this app before it was fully tested without leaving the option of using the perfectly functional Business Contact Manager? Quite aggravating.

• Chuck DeGeneresChuck DeGeneres commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why re-invent the wheel!??? BCM 2013 was a great tool and could have been just updated not trashed! I have over a hundred contacts with all of emails, notes, deals, etc. that is now lost because of mega software company not asking their customers first about a product that works! Shame on you! My company is not prepared to purchase the new software of 365 where we already had as addin on 2013! I now have to re-invent how I function, to manage my acct's because of software mega company not listening to its customers...major mistake on your part!

• Rick WagonerRick Wagoner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An import from Outlook BCM to Outlook 2016 OCM was promised as part of the original pre-release hype. I have two clients who are desperate to migrate to OCM and then on to CRM/D365 for sales. They do not want to lose the relationships, connected emails, notes and other things that fail to come over in a straight CSV or PST import.

When can I expect this feature to be released?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

your customer service representative denzel attempted to steal my identity by slowly piecing my personal information together. Who knows how many of your customers identity's have been stolen by your (Microsoft)s careless outsourcing to irresponsible third world countries then making it difficult to contact a competent representative. All of this came to lite during a simple overdue account, late payment on my subscription. I kind of get the feeling that Microsoft has already had problems with this sort of thing, (outsourcing identity theft),. please take the time to look into it I mean it shouldn't be that difficult to pay an over due payment.

Is there a migration path for BCM data to OCM? Does it include custom fields, relationships, attachments, etc.?

windows 7, office 2010 y Bussines Contact Manager, para el que busca efectividad en el trabajo. No existe otra alternativa.

BOOM! IT'S NOT DONE

The discussion of Outlook Customer Manager and Office 365 overlooks the most obvious issue. Outlook Customer Manager is in no way a substitute for BCM for any serious user. Your only option is to stick with Outlook 2013 or earlier. You can talk about other programs and Dynamics if you want, but unless you are ready to hire a programmer to shoehorn your square data -- and your customizations -- into a round hole, you are out of luck. And if you do hire a programmer, you're probably still out of luck. Worst of all, Microsoft knows this, and yet gleefully announces their non-solution to this thread with "BOOM! IT'S DONE".

• JP Di MaggioJP Di Maggio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same situation as Marc and Steve. A one-person small business a happy Office 365 user, with no need of a Business Premium Plan.

I was just expecting BCM to become "compatible" with Office 365 / Outlook 2016. The only left options are:
        1. Uninstalling Office 365 to return to a previous 2013 compatible version with BCM - No-way
        2. Pay a reasonable amount to obtain BCM to run with Office 365 and Outlook 2016 - Not offered option by Microsoft
        3. Choose an alternate non-Microsoft product - BEST choice, unfortunately

• Joe AllowayJoe Alloway commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a solution to the problem that so many of us are having where we have Business Premium users but have to keep the Exchange Online feature disabled. Office 365 support refused to help me both times I called and would not escalate the issue, only saying we would have to wait for a fix. What I discovered is that you can use PowerShell to disable license features, even ones that are not shown on the web interface, including the Outlook Customer Manager. The cmdlet that you want to use is New-MsolLicenseOptions and specify "O365_SB_Relationship_Management" with the DisabledPlans parameter, in addition to any other features you want to disable.

• Bill LyonBill Lyon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a slightly new twist to the problem. I was using BCM when I upgraded to Office 365.
        Now, along with the normal Contacts available, my Outlook 2016 shows "Business Contact Manager" and "Contact Follow-Up Flags" under " in the My Contacts navigation pane. Neither of which function.
        And, I still have a "Developer" tab that lets me design or edit the Contact forms that works, except, when I "publish" the new form, nothing happens!

Does anyone know how to get the remains of BCM out of Outlook 2016?

• Roland OberdannerRoland Oberdanner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same Problem as Yuri Zygala !!!
        Opened a case SRX616112294956384ID. It is very important to get the ability to activate/deactivate Outlook Customer Manager. We are Microsoft Partner and all our customers are CRM Online customers. I don't want to have Outlook Customer Manager activated at their Office 365 Business Premium subscription. The problem Yuri reported is very urgent! At the moment, our customers are NOT able to deactivate the Exchange Online license with the same error: To assign a license that contains Outlook Customer Manager, you must also assign one of the following service plans: Exchange Online (Plan 1).
        I don't understand the rollout philosophy, Microsoft ... very unprofessional I have to say.

• Yuri ZygalaYuri Zygala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to report a ** HUGE ** problem with the recent deployment of Outlook Customer Manager as a required part of Office 365 Business Premium.

We are an organization with 100 OBP licenses and are currently using all of the features of OBP "except" Exchange Online. Why? Because we are methodically migrating users from G Suite (Google Apps) to Exchange Online, one at a time (using forwarding and mail routing rules).

This configuration is made impossible now with this "recent" release, because users can no longer be provisioned sans Exchange Online. Instead, this error is shown: "To assign a license that contains Outlook Customer Manager, you must also assign one of the following service plans: Exchange Online (Plan 1)." This is ridiculous!

Why? Because I have friends at other 250 or less seat organizations that were looking at our approach as an opportunity to "ease" into Officer 365 and Exchange, and now with this restriction, it is an all of nothing.

Finally, how does having an Exchange Online license affect this process negatively? Because it creates an exchange mailbox, which prevents any email sent to that user by migrated Exchange users to be properly routed back to Google Apps. Mailboxes cannot exist for users that still reside in Google Apps, period.

Please rethink this "tie in", and make OCM an "optional" feature in the license as well, so it can be turned off. Thank you.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in the same boat as you, Marc. This does absolutely nothing for me. BOOM! WE'RE SCREWED.

• MarcMarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I use Office 365 as I have no need or use for a Business version as I am a 1 man operation. For years I had used Business Contact Manager and like many others was upset it wasn't kept going for Office 365. I have been waiting for something like this to come out but then to only find out it was only for Office Business Premium. I have no need for all the extra stuff thus my reason for the version I choose. Please tell me there is something in the works for 1 person small businesses. This was a huge oversight of the Home Office 1 person business which were probably the larger percentage of BCM users. Thanks again for overlooking the small business category.

• SteveSteve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, that is just great.... IF YOU HAVE THE OFFICE 365 BUSINESS PREMIUM PLAN. Again, small business gets pinched.

• PaulPaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an astonishing oversight. Very cruel to do this. Dynamics has an unacceptable entry cost, why not allow basic Dynamic entry and have captive audience ready to buy ./ sell to once they need improved features? I cannot understand why you'd want this programmer intensive middleware only to shelve it and then spend effort adapting it. oh and PS Outlook contacts manager via cards is woefully embarrassing for one of the worlds largest software companies. This really should be bread and butter for outlook.. it makes the suit less necessary by a big margin.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base