Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 Home - Personal email domain availability

Let us use a personal email domain in Office 365 Home.

2,319 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Glenn Røsbekk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  o365uv_suite_fb responded  · 

You can use your own personal email with a personal domain to connect to any type of Office 365 subscription, including Office 365 Home. Office 365 Home relies on a Microsoft account for authentication. A Microsoft account can be created with any personal domain email, it is not required to be Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, etc. Once the Microsoft account is created using your personal email, you can use it to activate and sign into your Office 365 Home subscription.
If you don’t have a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft account sign-up page and click on Create account. In the User name box enter your personal domain email address you wish to use. Fill out the rest of the form and click Create account.
Now you can set up your Office 365 Home subscription with your Microsoft account. This will be the Microsoft account associated with your Office download. If you have already purchased Office 365 Home and it is not associated with a Microsoft account that is registered with your personal domain email, you have two options. You may contact support for account and billing inquires at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get-support/office/office-365-home-premium#. The second option is to share your Office 365 subscription with your personal domain email as if you were sharing with a new user (see below).
To add users, log into Office365.com, click on My Account in the upper right portion of the webpage. This page will help you manage your Office 365 Home subscription, allow you to share the subscription with up to four other users, activate your other benefits such as Skype minutes and 1TB of storage on OneDrive, and much more. To share your subscription with other users, click Share Office 365, which will send an invite to any email address. Before the person you invited can use your subscription, they will need to sign in with their own Microsoft account.

109 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ryan Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For $99 a year, I get 5 users who each get full desktop apps, mobile apps, 1TB of OneDrive, and some Skype minutes. I'm not sure why some people are saying this is a bad deal. I would strongly consider paying $99 a year for 5x1TB OneDrive alone.

For $6.10 a month, or $73 a year, I can get a Business Essentials per user. That doesn't have any of the desktop stuff does have a huge amount of other services, including most importantly fast email. Also a pretty good deal if you have the business needs for more than just email.

I am currently subscribed to both. I do think they serve different purposes, e.g. some people want their custom domain but don't necessarily need the extra speed and functionality of Exchange, not to mention all the other stuff that comes with Office Business Essentials. I am also lucky enough to be grandfathered onto a Windows Live Domain so I do get Outlook.com service for my personal domain. It's not as good as an Office email, but it's fine for personal use. That would be great to see return, either bundled into Office Home or available for something like #2 a month on its own (or both). This does seem like it is a hole in between the two offerings which a lot of people would happily pay a small fee to use.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admins alternative solution is not what I'm looking for. This is the only reason why I won't sign up for a O365 subscription.

• Robert Eadie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just bought Office 365 Home using my personal domain login (OK mainly for the 1TB per user) but am now horrified that I have to continue to use my present email host company, as one of the things I wanted was everything 'under the same roof' with Microsoft.
    Is there anything even in the pipeline Microsoft?

• Richard Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For this to be implemented then Office 365 Home would require an exchange online server and the ability for you to send and receive from a custom domain. Office 365 Home costs £7.99 per month - Office 365 Business is £8.50 per month pay the extra £1.50 and you can do it through the business option. Plus Business option gets better Support from Microsoft. You will also be able to get emails form sent and received from your domain. Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync is a much better technology than Google's IMAP system. ActiveSync actively syncs all you mail. It is a much faster option.

• Stefan Mohr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin comment doesn't seem to understand what this issue is requesting, so I'll spell it out technically:

Right now I can create a new email address and use outlook.com. Microsoft hosts my email. But my email has to be @outlook.com (or hotmail, or whatever). I don't want that - I already have an email address.

I want Microsoft to host my email for me, NOT provide me an email address.

Google Apps (including the old free tier) allowed you to purchase your own domain and reconfigure your MX records to point at GMail. That lets me use mail.mydomain.net as my personal GMail instance, and all my incoming and outgoing mail moves through GMail.

However, even though it's GMail, nobody who writes me knows that, because my identity is tied to mydomain.net.

I want Microsoft, instead of Google, hosting mail for mydomain.net. It's free with Google, but I'm already paying for Office, and I don't really like Google's attitude towards supporting MS products. They're in the way and I want to ditch them. But I'm not going to change my email address solely because Microsoft doesn't have the infrastructure in place to let me host my domain.

• Rasmus Johansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the point of the "Try this instead" idea. As far as I can read it has nothing to do with the idea here.
    We don't ask for the option to log into office365 with a personal email (atleast that is not what I ask for).
    We ask for an option to send and recieve e-mails on our personal domain through an office 365 home subscription.
    Possibly with the option of controlling the domains e-mail adresses. Just as it was possible earlier for free, and what is possible for business customers.

• Maarten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also looking for this feature. Happy to pay 99 euros a year for the services provided, however I would need to be able to add custom domains as was the option / available for 'domains.live.com'.

Suggestion from Microsoft is to migrate from this 'domains.live.com' service to Office 365, however the feature why people would use domains.live.com is not available in the paid home versions?

• Rick de Vries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi,

Why is the only way possible to do this through godaddy? This is a super simple exercition for Office 365 for Business, why is the only way to go through a commercial partnership with GoDaddy? Seems like commercial opportunity to me, instead of actually helping the more tech-savvy end users. I understand the need for a low level solution like GoDaddy, but exclusively GoDaddy? That won't do.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Microsoft Team Please add custom Domain Feature to Office 365 home Edition. best regards

• Nick Krewson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will gladly move from my now-unsupported Windows Live Custom Domain to paid Office 365 Personal or Home service if could continue using my custom domain.

Without that option, I can't do it. Everyone knows me at my custom domain email address. It IS my identity.

I'm an individual, not a business. I own my own domain.

Microsoft, PLEASE give people like me an option.

• A Future Customer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Each year now when my yearly hosting renewals are up, I check to see if Office365 Home has added (re-added) the ability to use a custom domain.

Nope.

So again this year, someone else gets my $150 for the yearly hosting plan... and once again, I refuse to upgrade my Office Package and will remain on Office2010 instead of paying $99 for Office365 Home.

Come on Microsoft product managers - it's already there in the Business version... (I have a small 50 person business on Office365 separately). Porting functionality to the home instance can't be that bad - and do your market research.

There is a LARGE untapped market of people looking for quality exchange hosting for their private household domains and this would make you the de facto player in this space. No one wants an email of onmicrosoft.com and so everyone just sticks with their private domains or gmail instead especially since Google Apps stopped offering this. And $4/month (times 5 people in my household = $240/yr) is too much for email only.

Please - consider it. I personally know about a dozen people that would switch their households immediately and I can't believe i'm the only one...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Brazil, we are allowed to register "name.surname.nom.br". This is intended for individuals, not companies. So, if I get a personal domain like that, I will host a web app somewhere with my resume. I will put my contact somewhere on the page. I want it to be me@name.surname.nom.br, but, like I said, I am not a company. This is a use case of an individual who needs office 365 home with custom domain for email.

• Mark de Wit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please - I won't get Office 365 Home until it has an email (hosted) solution that I can use with my 2 custom domains for private email (if we allow 5 users, please allow 5 domains too)

• Rasmus Johansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I own two domains that are used for family e-mail. I would like to start an Office 365 Home subscription, but this is missing very much.

• Rohn007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of people want this. Here is a question/discussion at the answers forum. It has LOTS of entries. Someone here linked from there to here, so I think it is worthwhile to do the reverse:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-office_install/use-of-own-domain-name-with-office-365-homepremium/77d72795-dd77-4f08-a2f5-a273603453eb?page=7

Feedback and Knowledge Base