Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 Home - Personal email domain availability

Let us use a personal email domain in Office 365 Home.

2,259 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Glenn Røsbekk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  o365uv_suite_fb responded  · 

You can use your own personal email with a personal domain to connect to any type of Office 365 subscription, including Office 365 Home. Office 365 Home relies on a Microsoft account for authentication. A Microsoft account can be created with any personal domain email, it is not required to be Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, etc. Once the Microsoft account is created using your personal email, you can use it to activate and sign into your Office 365 Home subscription.
If you don’t have a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft account sign-up page and click on Create account. In the User name box enter your personal domain email address you wish to use. Fill out the rest of the form and click Create account.
Now you can set up your Office 365 Home subscription with your Microsoft account. This will be the Microsoft account associated with your Office download. If you have already purchased Office 365 Home and it is not associated with a Microsoft account that is registered with your personal domain email, you have two options. You may contact support for account and billing inquires at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get-support/office/office-365-home-premium#. The second option is to share your Office 365 subscription with your personal domain email as if you were sharing with a new user (see below).
To add users, log into Office365.com, click on My Account in the upper right portion of the webpage. This page will help you manage your Office 365 Home subscription, allow you to share the subscription with up to four other users, activate your other benefits such as Skype minutes and 1TB of storage on OneDrive, and much more. To share your subscription with other users, click Share Office 365, which will send an invite to any email address. Before the person you invited can use your subscription, they will need to sign in with their own Microsoft account.

105 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jörg Finkeisen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Killing the custom domain option has been a bad thing from the very beginning and it has been executed badly as well.
    I have 10 custom email addresses and since the decommission of the user portal I was not able to manage this address space anymore. My two brothers married and I was not able to give their wives an email address in the family's email domain.
    Now, all the sudden, the logon with these custom names did not work anymore, without any notice. We did have to find a workaround with using a pre-defined domain name (outlook.de) for a new login name.
    As of today, my Outlook (latest and greatest Outlook 2016) does not connect to the outlook.com service anymore, except for some minutes each day, non-predictable.
    Establishing a new profile does not work at all anymore. It fails with the custom domain name and when using the new alias logon name (outlook.de) I get an error that the name is not in any address list. This hint is not helpful and does not provide a solution to the problem which has been caused by the service provide alone.
    I hope this will get better now that outlook.com will be part of the paid Office 365 service.
    Fortunately, and weird enough, there are no problems with mobile devices, only with Outlook 2016 on my PC.

GIVE US BACK THE MANAGEMENT ACCESS TO OUR EXISTING CUSTOM EMAIL ADDRESSES!!!

Jörg

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's so sad that MS is killing custom-domain support instead of expanding it. The workarounds listed here don't fully work, they will always give you something like the well known "on behalf of" as the sender address when you use a non-outlook.com address. This is not acceptable, Yes, you can redirect your personal email to your outlook.com address. That's OK and works. If you just would be able to use a "send account" without that "on behalf of" limitation. This worked in the past but was scrapped some while ago. MS only would need a good "authorization" mechanism that it's proven that you really own the address you use for sending....

• GermanKiwi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, please give us full support for adding our own custom domain names to Office 365 Home and Personal! Especially now that you've killed off the Outlook.com Premium service and are not migrating its custom domain feature to O365. That's a huge shame! Custom domains was one of the best features of Outlook.com Premium.

The fact is, custom domains are not just used by businesses these days. Many private users have them too. They're great for families. And private users don't need or want to purchase the Office 365 Business plans. Especially as they give you OneDrive based on SharePoint, which is not desirable for many.

At the very least, some kind of "family" or "pro" plan for O365 would be great, which allows the user to add custom domains (more than just one!!) in addition to the other great features of O365 - that would be ideal.

• Datalux78 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really?! Had to Switch to Android because MS killed W10M. If I now can't use my custom domain anymore I will switch to gmail/google. There is no reason using MS-services anymore. So frustrating...no more love for consumers from Microsoft ;-(

• Colin Bowern commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My family, including my parents use our personal domain. Having signed on during the Windows Live Custom Domains period I'm still stuck as I want the capability of Outlook.com, but I need more than 5 users on it. Premium had the artificial limit, but I think you are ignoring the fact that sometimes all we want is email, and not Yammer, Teams, and the business stuff. Please consider adding a paid add-on for custom domains that allows you to go beyond the 5 person limit.

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What the people want: Login AND EMAIL using email@mycompany.com with office 365, including email provider and webhosting.
    What Try This Instead Thinks: Login using email@mycompany.com only with no email provider and no webhosting
    What you can actually do: With your current email provider for email@mycompany.com, forward all emails to your @outlook.com address. With Outlook, enable email alias sending for email@mycompany.com. This way, at least you can send and receive emails for email@mycompany.com using Outlook webmail. But it's not 100% best. Still, seems like many people commenting don't know you can do this.

Was just about to buy Office 365 Home, thought I'd just check this. Won't be buying now. What the heck is the problem with including this?

• vidarak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Outlook Premium support multiple subscriptions attached to the same custom domain? That's an absolute requirement in order to provide the custom domain to an extended family group of more than just the 5 closest relatives.

• BBG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a simple fix. Just add Outlook Premium for $20 a year to your Office 365 Home account. Done.

• RNG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This continuous to be a gross embarrassment the way Microsoft handles this. DNS is such a lightweight service and you have the feature already in all the other O365 plans so its not as if they need to build it, so please provide it with the home and personal plans. Without it they feel so archaic. Perhaps in the '90's before people became more digitally literate, but now personal domains are more the norm.

Pull your finger out Microsoft and get with the modern world.

For now I have just cancelled my Trial and moving to Google. Yes the bloody competition I don't want to use because you guys are so precious about not doing the logical thing.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to return/cancel my subscription to tesco because cant attach domain.... should be clearer on the package... ie NO DOMAIN CONNECTION!!!

• Blessing Chukwumadu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This email you are declaring invalid is in your office just registered but your email service department is delaying the sharing, is exactly what i have been passing through in the hand of my business friends, they will tell me my email via your company name is invalid, but i have about four email addresses with you there right now, let me text you my gmail address, thank you

• Ed W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as a thought - the answer may be if Microsoft offered a 'Office 365 Family' package, which is a little like Small Business (but less expensive and some reduced capability) but gives basing outlook.com style email (without ads, ideally), integrates the family controls for the kids, allows custom 'family' domains (for which any legal aspect to avoid small business abuse would be reasonable if that's an issue) and gives a range of capability that families want, such as calendar sharing and so on. Sound like an idea?

• Nilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a solution. I think adding the personal domain is a must for this service. Or else you directly need the small business plans which are too expensive for home use. Hopefully Outlook premium is coming soon to the EU, but this is without OneDrive and Office.
    Would suggest to include the Outlook premium service in the Office Home subscription. Would be even OK for me to create a Office Home + subscription which adds 10 euro a year for example to use the service. If this would be released I would directly migrate from my current mail provider.

• R.A.M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Kram: Your Office 365 Home subscription is not providing you with email via your personal domain. Custom domains are not usable with Office 365 Home. The Outlook Premium subscription is what provides email via your personal domain. Basically it ends up being an add-on to your Office 365 subscription to enable email via your domain--$120 for the first year (Office 365 Home + Outlook Premium reduced price), going up to $150 per year after that.

• Kram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a my personal domain that I bought from GoDaddy. I bought Office 365 Home separately, and created a new Microsoft Account with my personal domain email address to link it to, as described in the Admin's "Try This Instead" response above. I ended up calling GoDaddy and adjusted the Domain Name Settings as they directed me to do for an Office 365 Home setup. For a month, I could send email from my personal domain but could not receive email. When I tried sending email from my gmail address to my personal domain address, I would receive Mail Delivery Notification emails to my gmail indicating DNS errors. I could not figure out the problem for a month. Then I signed up for the Outlook Premium Pilot with my personal domain email address, as someone mentioned below (not sure if the pilot is still free, but I'm not paying for it). A week later, I was able to receive emails on my personal domain. I'm not sure if it's the Outlook Premium that solved the problem or if it took that long for the DNS records to correct itself after I made adjustments.

I'm just saying, I know this worked for me, perhaps it would for you too. I only pay for the Office 365 Home subscription ($99/year), I can send/receive email on my personal domain, and have all the apps and features that this subscription provides.

• Ryan Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For $99 a year, I get 5 users who each get full desktop apps, mobile apps, 1TB of OneDrive, and some Skype minutes. I'm not sure why some people are saying this is a bad deal. I would strongly consider paying $99 a year for 5x1TB OneDrive alone.

For $6.10 a month, or $73 a year, I can get a Business Essentials per user. That doesn't have any of the desktop stuff does have a huge amount of other services, including most importantly fast email. Also a pretty good deal if you have the business needs for more than just email.

I am currently subscribed to both. I do think they serve different purposes, e.g. some people want their custom domain but don't necessarily need the extra speed and functionality of Exchange, not to mention all the other stuff that comes with Office Business Essentials. I am also lucky enough to be grandfathered onto a Windows Live Domain so I do get Outlook.com service for my personal domain. It's not as good as an Office email, but it's fine for personal use. That would be great to see return, either bundled into Office Home or available for something like #2 a month on its own (or both). This does seem like it is a hole in between the two offerings which a lot of people would happily pay a small fee to use.

Admins alternative solution is not what I'm looking for. This is the only reason why I won't sign up for a O365 subscription.

• Robert Eadie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just bought Office 365 Home using my personal domain login (OK mainly for the 1TB per user) but am now horrified that I have to continue to use my present email host company, as one of the things I wanted was everything 'under the same roof' with Microsoft.
    Is there anything even in the pipeline Microsoft?

Feedback and Knowledge Base