Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 Home - Personal email domain availability

Let us use a personal email domain in Office 365 Home.

2,319 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Glenn Røsbekk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  o365uv_suite_fb responded  · 

You can use your own personal email with a personal domain to connect to any type of Office 365 subscription, including Office 365 Home. Office 365 Home relies on a Microsoft account for authentication. A Microsoft account can be created with any personal domain email, it is not required to be Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, etc. Once the Microsoft account is created using your personal email, you can use it to activate and sign into your Office 365 Home subscription.
If you don’t have a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft account sign-up page and click on Create account. In the User name box enter your personal domain email address you wish to use. Fill out the rest of the form and click Create account.
Now you can set up your Office 365 Home subscription with your Microsoft account. This will be the Microsoft account associated with your Office download. If you have already purchased Office 365 Home and it is not associated with a Microsoft account that is registered with your personal domain email, you have two options. You may contact support for account and billing inquires at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get-support/office/office-365-home-premium#. The second option is to share your Office 365 subscription with your personal domain email as if you were sharing with a new user (see below).
To add users, log into Office365.com, click on My Account in the upper right portion of the webpage. This page will help you manage your Office 365 Home subscription, allow you to share the subscription with up to four other users, activate your other benefits such as Skype minutes and 1TB of storage on OneDrive, and much more. To share your subscription with other users, click Share Office 365, which will send an invite to any email address. Before the person you invited can use your subscription, they will need to sign in with their own Microsoft account.

109 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(btw: how can I give all 10 votes to this instead of only 3...? Maybe Google has a solution... for both.)

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is simply absurd.

I'm managing multiple family-domains. I'ld be perfectly fine paying a fair price for an easy-to-use mailservice, plus maybe office. I suppose, paying 90€ a year for office would be fair enough for nothing more than a simple setting.

Certainly not business-tiers, though. They are far too expensive for that usecase and I hardly need all the other extras.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am still unclear if i can use a custom family domain for Office 365 Home or not, Can someone clarify?

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You are blocking Mail forwards from one of the largest German providers (Strato) because of "Spam" and don't allow our own accounts. I lost a lot of mails since Friday, so outlook.com is not an option for managing my mails any more.
    Reconfiguring my DNS would be the best option for me to use Office 365 as a full office suite. Looking into GSuite now.

• Steffen Braa Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I must agree with the previous comments. Having managed a family domain since 2001 and supplying my family with hotmail/outlook based emails on my domain, it was a real pain when Microsoft decided to remove the domain administration interface. I would be happy to pay for O365 Home subscriptions to have both mailserver and Onedrive storage for all my users. Please, Microsoft - support the private users with the ability to use custom domains with your offering. In our case, this is definitely a way, where Microsoft has a possibility to acquire and retain loyal users... or a risk to lose them all, as I have to find a solution to regain control of the domain and create more accounts.

• Charles Prakash Dasari commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This 'Try this instead' is not the same as managing our custom domain for email addresses. We need to be able to host our family email in Office 365 Home subscription, not use an address as a Microsoft account.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE add personal email domain to office 365. I just purchased assuming this feature was included and am disappointed its not.

In the meantime, you can get a personal email domain through Zoho for $24/yr and use IMAP to connect it to Outlook. It's the best I can do for now.

Am home user with account created after buying new computer. The Office, Word etc just vanished and could not be recovered. Ordered Office 365 from Amazon. My account was questioned and became viewed as possible hack attempt. After trying for two days to establish, which couldn't be completed not accepted. Have I spent $123 for nothing?

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trawling the MS site for ages trying to find how I can add my personal domain before purchasing O365 Home. Having read the comments I now understand it was once possible and now is gone. Looks like I'll have to grab Gsuite instead, which was my distant 2nd choice otherwise. Disappointing MS - take the feedback on board please.

Interested to know the logic behind the decision (cost, security, UX, maintenance overhead etc?)

Because of the missing private domain name in Office 365 Personal I am using Office 365 Business Premium - but when using Business Premium there is a problem with OneDrive for Business, who does not support automatic upload of photos and videos from mobile devices - that is only available in Office 365 Personal.

I look forward to see a solution to the private domain problem in Office 365 Personal .....

I already own a personal domain name, and I want to point my DNS MX records somewhere so I can receive email on it. I should be able to do this with my Office 365 Personal subscription, just as some users were able to do with the discontinued Outlook.com Premium. I don't want to set up a whole business-oriented solution like GSuite; I just want to be able to receive email on my own domain directly to my personal outlook.com account.

This is not a valid approach. We need the native support of custom domains that work with outlook.com backend mail. This was working with the old live capabilities but broke a few months ago

• Irfan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a real problem. I'm currently pay for office 365 home and an office 365 exchange plan to get my custom domain working. This is a real pain as I need to two accounts instead of one. All my family stuff (contacts/calendaring) is on outlook.com and I can't share that with the exchange plan. I can't use a send-only account as it keeps adding "On behalf of", which frankly is useless.

I thought with outlook premium being merged into 0ffice 365 home, that would have sorted it but alas no. I don't even mind paying extra for a custom domain support if I can have just one account. After all, it is meant to be the Microsoft "one account"

Common Microsoft, please sort this out!

• Edwin van Etten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for a custom user domain in Office 365 Home
    I know this functionality was available in de Outlook Premium aera ...

Please give the option to :
    1) Move my custom domain to Microsoft or the ability to configure the MX records and/or additional other records to function properly at my own domain provider.

2) Send e-mails using the custom alias address (as stated in my Microsoft Account) within outlook 2016 and without the extra message ... send on behalf of ... This means I should automatically get the option to select the "From" field and have 2 addresses available (1-primary outlook address & 2-secondary alias address of custom domain) and it should remember the last choice of the from field, instead of defaulting to the primary outlook.com address and only have the ability to add a self-typed custom address

3) Send e-mails using the custom alias address (as stated in my Microsoft Account) with the Android Outlook App. This means I should automatically get the option to select the "From" field and have 2 addresses available (1-primary outlook address & 2-secondary alias address of custom domain) and it should remember the last choice of the from field

4) Send e-mails using the custom alias address (as stated in my Microsoft Account) with outlook.com online and without the extra message ... send on behalf of ...

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After years of having an email mess for my family, I was looking to simplify our Office subscriptions. I figured "I have O365 at work... why not get it for the family at home"? Sounds good... but I can't have a custom domain name, and my well-known username is already taken in outlook.com.

Sooo... Not being able to have a custom domain name is a deal-breaker for me.

• Alexis Menard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, the "try this instead" suggested here is not what your customer are asking. We're asking full support of custom domains for your paid O365 customers. That means being able to setup your account on Outlook for desktop (Mac or Windows) with the custom alias (without creating some Outlook_E34343432432432 broken mailbox), be able to use the "Send From" with the alias in Outlook 2016. Same for the mobile applications.

I was waiting for Outlook.com premium feastures to be added to Office 365 Home to subscribe ony for the custom domain / personnalised email address feature. I don't care about the no ads feature on Outlook.com... that is in no way a usefull improvement, unlike custom domains.

Guess I should just have subscribed to Outlook.com premium after all, as they scrapped that feature when they merged with Office 365 Home.

Bring back the possibility to use custom domains and allow it for Office 365 Home. I understand that the domain registration can require an additionnal fee if the user doesn't provide their own domain, but I think that anyone interested in that wouldn't mind.

Feedback and Knowledge Base