Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 Home - Personal email domain availability

Let us use a personal email domain in Office 365 Home.

2,319 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Glenn Røsbekk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  o365uv_suite_fb responded  · 

You can use your own personal email with a personal domain to connect to any type of Office 365 subscription, including Office 365 Home. Office 365 Home relies on a Microsoft account for authentication. A Microsoft account can be created with any personal domain email, it is not required to be Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, etc. Once the Microsoft account is created using your personal email, you can use it to activate and sign into your Office 365 Home subscription.
If you don’t have a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft account sign-up page and click on Create account. In the User name box enter your personal domain email address you wish to use. Fill out the rest of the form and click Create account.
Now you can set up your Office 365 Home subscription with your Microsoft account. This will be the Microsoft account associated with your Office download. If you have already purchased Office 365 Home and it is not associated with a Microsoft account that is registered with your personal domain email, you have two options. You may contact support for account and billing inquires at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get-support/office/office-365-home-premium#. The second option is to share your Office 365 subscription with your personal domain email as if you were sharing with a new user (see below).
To add users, log into Office365.com, click on My Account in the upper right portion of the webpage. This page will help you manage your Office 365 Home subscription, allow you to share the subscription with up to four other users, activate your other benefits such as Skype minutes and 1TB of storage on OneDrive, and much more. To share your subscription with other users, click Share Office 365, which will send an invite to any email address. Before the person you invited can use your subscription, they will need to sign in with their own Microsoft account.

109 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Because of this missing feature (and only that because apart from that I'm very happy with O365) I have canceled my subscription a while back and as it expires soon I wanted to check back to see if there is any improvement here.

So this request is now approaching the "2,000 votes-mark", making this the second-highest ranking feature request in "O365 general" and also being in the range of the top 3 feature requests in other sections.

And still it is not only not in any public roadmap, it is simply totally being ignored by MS.

Very sad. So I'll let this expire now. Thanks and goodbye.

• A.Dowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I administrate numerous business and personal domains along with their email solutions. The three email solutions I have/do administrate are Google (G Suite), Microsoft, and Zoho. At this time, Zoho is the only one offering a free solution to private email domains. Their solution is fantastic and a strong competitor to both Google and Microsoft. I completed onboarding a private domain to Zoho just today. Their paid options are also competitive and the free offering also provides you with their full suite of office/document solutions along with fantastic iOS and Android apps.

• Steffen Braa Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being an owner of a family domain for 17 years, I have currently 10 family members registered with their individual custom email addresses. The setup was done years ago on Microsoft Live Domains - and although very simple, the setup with an admin page for adding and removing mailboxes and an MX registration worked well providing custom domains to the Microsoft email solutions.
    After the decommissioning of this solution, I have been continuously searching for a replacement. My preference would be to sign up for O365 Home accounts for everyone, but as we all know, this is not possible.
    I have so far chosen to stay with the grandfathered Microsoft Live solution, but as my youngest child is now at an age, where email starts to be interesting, I will have to migrate everyone to a setup where I can add new accounts. For a long time, I have had a hope that this would be O365, but apparently not.
    This is definitely not a matter of moving to something better that I would rather use, but a matter of Microsoft forcing me to move away - or abandon the family domain (which will NOT happen!)
    And even if the usability issues mentioned with O365 Business did not exist, the price plan does not match that of a family account. Usage is most often considerable less and I wouldn't like to pay a monthly O365 Business subscription for having my great grandfather write an email or two a week.
    So - with this apparent lack of functionality that even used to be - I regret that I will have to migrate the entire family away from the Microsoft infrastructure...

• Mario Mueller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but the proposed solution is not close to anything that really solves the problem. The feature request asks for pointing MX records to "your" email servers. What you propose is just a forwarding. Forwarding or synchronization also removed one of the premium protection benefits, making the product less attractive for security-sensitve users.

Can we either get a better excuse or an implementation plan?

I'm in G-Suite right now, just because there are no really good, hosted, worry-free solutions beside it. You can make yourself now a compeditor and go for all the pro-sumers that currently are bound to use G-Suite for individuals / families.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I signed up for Office 365 Business just so that I can use my own domain with Outlook and Office Suite. I don't mind the price gap, but the most annoying thing about a Business account is that - it is NOT a Microsoft Account, which is totally ridiculous. As a result, the following issues happen:

- I have to retain 2 accounts - one with a live.com domain and one with my personal domain. Windows 10 keeps saying I need to sign in using the live.com domain in order to better manage my laptop. No work or school account is accepted.
    - I have to use Skype for Business for my own domain account, and it is way inferior compared to Skype.

- I can't set Onedrive to automatically upload photo to my Office 365, because, well, clearly it is just for work?!

- Many of 3rd-party apps I am using doesn't recognise my Office 365 account any longer, because again, it is NOT a Microsoft account.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use my own domain in outlook.com was the only reason for me to buy Office 365 Home. I recognized later that this feature was removed...

So Office 365 is useless for me...

• Clayton Bunyard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. What would it take for us to be able to use <myname>@<myfamily>.com instead of @outlook.com for our Office 365 Home accounts? I honestly would like to know why this is not available and/or why it is not on the development schedule?

The "Try this instead" is completely missing the point and not a useful answer.

• Thomas Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anything official on this?

I have read somewhere that they would implement all the features from Outlook Premium. But it seems that this has been abandoned?

• Rick Nyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bummer, I'm annoyed with Google providing worse services for people with Google Apps domains, so I was going to see what Microsoft could offer - reading this thread, I think I'll stay where I am.

The short of my requirement is that I want email and productivity tools for the family, using a custom domain. If I can do domain aliases or subdomains, that's even better. It doesn't have to be free, but $50/user/year (Google) is a little more than I'd like to spend, and $150/user/year (O365) is just too much.

• Ian Toner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's baffling about this is that I'm happy to pay for two separate products (Exchange Online Plan 1 and Office365 Home Premium) to provide good quality IT for my family, and yet it seems like it's simply not possible. Bizzare.
    Any suggestions from the community as to how to do this would be welcome

I think I need to move my emails away from my present host - 1and1 - as they cant synch sent items, only inbox with outlook. I had hoped to migrate to office 365 as a host but it seems this is not possible if I want to keep my (rob@xxxxxxxxxx.co.uk) email address.
    Please can you suggest where I should move my email hosting to. Thanks!

• Boris Slooch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can just join the most of comments. Once moved my family .name domain from Google Apps to Windows Live for Domain. Then MS removed admin interface and blocked new users creation. Then Microsoft changed normal "From" addresses to "On behalf of" then sending mails from Office Outlook, and removed S/MIME support from Windows Mail.

It was promising to hear about Outlook Premium features for Office 365 Home Premium, but, alas, custom domain not included. Now it is tempting to switch MX records back to Google Apps, my legacy account there is still alive, allows me to add new users up to 100 (one hundred), and still free.

• Boris Slooch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can just join the most of comments. Once moved my family .name domain from Google Apps to Windows Live for Domain. The MS removed admin interface and blocked new users creation. It was promising to here of Outlook Premium features for Office 365 Home Premium, but, alas, custom domain not included. It is tempting to switch MX records back to Google Apps, my legacy account is still alive, allows me to add new users and free.

The "Try this instead" is missing the point, I think. The point is not to use an existing custom domain and email service to sign up for Office 365, but to use Office 365's email service (Outlook) with a custom domain.

Office 365 business plans support this, and somewhat inexpensively (look into the Exchange E1 plan), but it's cumbersome to set up for personal use and comes with a lot of extra business features that home users don't need.

The bigger issue is that an Office 365 account is completely separate from a Microsoft Account, so utilizing Microsoft's Office 365 platform for email and a Microsoft Account for Cortana, Windows, Mobile, etc. means that your data will exist in two separate accounts that don't share information gracefully.

Ironically Microsoft makes it easier to use a Microsoft Account with Gmail email service than with its own Office 365 email service.

Ideally you'd be able to get everything in one, whether that's a business O365 account with Cortana, Windows, etc. or a personal Microsoft Account with Cortana, Windows, Onedrive, email, AND custom domain support. No need to mess with O365 unless you're a business.

Unfortunately Microsoft still suffers from Split-Brain syndrome on this issue and has for years now with no hope in sight.

• daflibble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are vanity domain not supported on Office 365 home? It's an obvious basic feature which is offered by most of the competition.
    It's the only thing stopping me from buying Office 365.

This feature request is the SECOND MOST VOTED for in all O365 and still it is not available.

This is really ridicculous.
    I am so fed up with this now.
    Every competitor gets this done and offers Office AND email integration.

Today MS announced new features regarding email in O365 (ransomware protection) - but for what, if you can not use domains, its totally in vain.

What an epic fail of the responsible product manager.

I really have had enough now. I cancelled the o365 subscription for our four family users and will let it expire. Then I will get myself a service that actually allows me to combine office and email.
    You know, like real 2018-style technology level.

What a shame. Otherwise a really great product. I would even pay extra for this.
    But whatever. This has bothered me long enough, now I am out.

Have a good life, MS, and call me when you come to your senses.

• Roger Lysnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's very annoying not to be able to use my personal email-domain in Office 365 Home. I discovered this after I bought Office 365 Home - and got very disappointed. Really hope this will be possible soon. If not, I guess me and my family need to start using another solution.

• Glen O'Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "try this instead" is totally useless when you have multiple people! We have 4 or more email address' in our family and we were fine with Windows Live Domains, it was near enough to perfect. Then you stuffed it!

We cannot afford to keep paying Office365 business subs ESPECIALLY when you are too cheap to offer us at least office mobile.

OP you have my vote! Reinstate WLD or offer office mobile else we are likely going to have to switch to Google for compatibility. We cannot afford or justify $20 odd per user per month on a private family domain especially when OneDrive Personal gets mobile office free.

Office 365's home plans are just not competitive in this regard. All of Microsoft's competition offers this feature, whether that's Fastmail, Gmail, Protonmail, what have you. If even the smaller guys have this feature figured out, why has Microsoft discontinued it? I have a custom domain already in use that I have pointed at another email provider. I can't get behind Microsot's ecosystem play unless I can move my custom domain to an Office 365 family plan.

Why can we not get "custom domain" for using email in O365 home/personal?
    That would allow benefiting from a closer integration office <-> email (e.g. online document editing in an attachment of an email)
    It was working in the US ("Outlook premium") and I would surely pay extra for it if that way I could get rid of having two seperate contracts (my hosting provider's OpenXchange account contract any My MS O365 personal contract).

The old "outlook premium" was ~20 USD/year and that was a fair price. I would even pay double this price to get "hosted exchange" accounts as part of my O365 personal.

This is such a great market potential for MS, but instead of finally rolling out "outlook premium" worldwide, they just stop offering this feature alltogether.

And it's really a pain that their support for the most part doesn't even bother to understand the problem.
    As you can see above in the official answer to this request, where the admin obviously seems to assume the problem is that people want to authenticate with a custom domain name for login into O365 account.
    Which is obviously totally not the point.
    This is about email hosting, not about authentication!

Feedback and Knowledge Base