Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 Home - Personal email domain availability

Let us use a personal email domain in Office 365 Home.

2,286 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Glenn Røsbekk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
try this instead  ·  o365uv_suite_fb responded  · 

You can use your own personal email with a personal domain to connect to any type of Office 365 subscription, including Office 365 Home. Office 365 Home relies on a Microsoft account for authentication. A Microsoft account can be created with any personal domain email, it is not required to be Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, etc. Once the Microsoft account is created using your personal email, you can use it to activate and sign into your Office 365 Home subscription.
If you don’t have a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft account sign-up page and click on Create account. In the User name box enter your personal domain email address you wish to use. Fill out the rest of the form and click Create account.
Now you can set up your Office 365 Home subscription with your Microsoft account. This will be the Microsoft account associated with your Office download. If you have already purchased Office 365 Home and it is not associated with a Microsoft account that is registered with your personal domain email, you have two options. You may contact support for account and billing inquires at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get-support/office/office-365-home-premium#. The second option is to share your Office 365 subscription with your personal domain email as if you were sharing with a new user (see below).
To add users, log into Office365.com, click on My Account in the upper right portion of the webpage. This page will help you manage your Office 365 Home subscription, allow you to share the subscription with up to four other users, activate your other benefits such as Skype minutes and 1TB of storage on OneDrive, and much more. To share your subscription with other users, click Share Office 365, which will send an invite to any email address. Before the person you invited can use your subscription, they will need to sign in with their own Microsoft account.

107 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stephan Gregori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the possibility to move a domain to O 365 Home. This is important to grant for the whole family access to helpful software with a suitable domain. A domain for thousands or more is not suitable. So, please do not force us, to go otherwhere.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft won’t accept my hotmail address so I can’t register, sign up,or start using anything on the new co outer

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please allow us to use other domain registrars for this. I do not want to host my domain with GoDaddy.

• Glen O'Riley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a recreation of Live Domains which actually was a really good system where it seems like a half a$$ed attempt to drive people up the wall instead. Almost seens an email forwarder and SEND AS masquerade would be cheaper and easier to do the same thing essentially but using the free product from MS and costing much less.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many families don't own a family domain? Huh? That's just not true - there are many families out there using it's own domain. Period!
    Please make it available to office 365 HOME, than i think about moving from google apps to office 365. Thank you!

• JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I uses my own email address to create a microsoft account.
    But also here all emails sent from Outlook 365 webmail sent with as <outlook_xxxxxxx@outlook.com> On Behalf Of xxxx(own domain) which is totally unacceptable.

Also, the solution with the "Connected accounts" is unfortunately very unsatisfactory!
    1. Sent e-mails from a connected account will not be filed under Sent of the connected account.
    2. The synchronization times are very arbitrary and can take up to several hours .. :(.

I had read that it could work with with a domain by GD, but my domain is not registered there! Also it seem there is a limitation with alias addresses!

In the moment I am a litte bit frustrated with my Office 365 Home, with mailing and the usage with outlook.com with own email domain(s)!

Also no chance to add a Exchange Online Plan 1 to Office 365 Home :( .
    Only by creation of an dedicated second business account, but what happend then, when I want to work / share things with a part of my family with microsoft accounts....????

• A B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried all ways to use my own email/domain in Office 365 (online). Add as shared family member, add as alias, have my Microsoft account already set up for my personal email/domain.

All emails sent from Outlook 365 webmail appear to be sent with delay and as <outlook_xxxxxxx@outlook.com> On Behalf Of xxxx(own domain) which is totally unacceptable.

Does anyone have any idea whether this problem can be fixed?

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[continued from previous post]

So basically you have three options now:

Option A: transfer your domain to GoDaddy
    Option B: (e.g. if GD doesn't offer your TLD): go along as described above and buy their "premium DNS feature" - that allows you to use their servers indefinitely without having the domain there.

And last not least:
    Option C: not for the faint-hearted :-)
    Set up with temporary zone as described above.
    Then look at what MS actually configured for your domain (view the records in GoDaddy).
    Copy all on those over into your own DNS / to whatever other DNS-provider you use.
    Re-set the domain's DNS server to your own.

This way the relevant records will stay the same, so email will still continue to end up on MS Servers. Question is just if MS will at some point re-check if the Domain is still in GoDaddys DNS Server.
    I would vaguely hope that they don't, because: why should they?
    But there is no way to know if this works until the first person tries it :-)
    Perhaps I'll try at some point...
    Again: perhaps not the right choice for productive use.

@Amanda:
    you are reffering to the "how to do without having your Domain @GoDaddy?

Easy:
    create an account on GoDaddy, -> DNS -> add DNS hosting
    THis way you can generate DNS records for y domain even if it is not registered with GD.
    Then add all records that you might want to have for this domain (e.g. A-record for website).

GD will provide you with info which Nameserver this will reside on (e.g. nsXX.domaincontrol.com).
    Go to the registrar where you have your Domain and set the domain to use these nameservers instead.
    Wait for a day for everything to propagate and then go to outlook.com anbd add the domain in the "premium" section.

BUT:
    triggered by the comments here: https://goo.gl/Y81VzS I checked:
    Indeed GoDaddy states that such a zone without a domain on their servers will be deleted after 30 days.
    What a pity.
    Sorry, I did not notice this before. Also the zone which I created more than 30 days ago still is alive and kickin' on their servers - but I believe this basically disqualifies this as a longer term productive setup.
    Only do this for testing!!!

So basically you have three options now:

Option A: transfer your domain to GoDaddy
    Option B: (e.g. if GD doesn't offer your TLD): go along as described above and buy their "premium DNS feature" - that allows you to use their servers indefinitely without having the domain there.

[to be continued]

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, looks like this has finally been added in partnership with GoDaddy!

I have been tring this for the last weeks now.

The FAQ still reports this feature as "currently in limited preview to a subset of subscribers.", so it's probably not yet for everybody and perhaps also too early to switch completely, but all my testing was completelysuccessful as of yet.

You can connect to a GoDaddy Domain (the Domain actually does not need to be registered via GoDaddy, it's enough to only use GoDaddy for DNS, but to keep the domain registered elsewhere).

You can create (and change) ONE email address per Office-account:
    If you have your O365 home license shared with other users, each account can also create ONE address within this domain.

All of this works fine and nicely so far, receiving, sending etc.

The only downside is that you can obviously only have as many email addresses as Office-Accounts. No chance to have an extra alias for SPAM or your printer or the kid that doesn't need a full office license.
    This is a real limit to an otherwise splendid feature.

Let's see how this evolves and when it is finally been released.

Thanks MS for listening!!

• Paul Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this COULD be available now. I have the option in the Premium Features section when I log into my mail online. Cant get it to work but the option is there

• ikomrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently moved my personal and business domains from G Suite to Exchange online, but I'm considering moving at least my personal domain to Office 365 home. I noticed the Office 365 business exists and offers hosted email, but not Office 365 Home?

Sure, I've only had my own domains and ran my own email/dns/other servers for 20 years. Maybe it's time for MS to catch up with the tech-savvy users?

Very exciting news were discovered in "MS Community": https://goo.gl/AYUR4N
    This points to this FAQ here: https://goo.gl/iQ1X2V

So there seems to be some beta going on for this function.

I checked, the function exists in my account. I couldn't yet add a domain bu I will contiune to try it to see if it lives up to m expectations but at least there seems to be very real reason for hope in this matter!

Because of this missing feature (and only that because apart from that I'm very happy with O365) I have canceled my subscription a while back and as it expires soon I wanted to check back to see if there is any improvement here.

So this request is now approaching the "2,000 votes-mark", making this the second-highest ranking feature request in "O365 general" and also being in the range of the top 3 feature requests in other sections.

And still it is not only not in any public roadmap, it is simply totally being ignored by MS.

Very sad. So I'll let this expire now. Thanks and goodbye.

• A.Dowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I administrate numerous business and personal domains along with their email solutions. The three email solutions I have/do administrate are Google (G Suite), Microsoft, and Zoho. At this time, Zoho is the only one offering a free solution to private email domains. Their solution is fantastic and a strong competitor to both Google and Microsoft. I completed onboarding a private domain to Zoho just today. Their paid options are also competitive and the free offering also provides you with their full suite of office/document solutions along with fantastic iOS and Android apps.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base