Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 Home - Personal email domain availability

Let us use a personal email domain in Office 365 Home.

2,073 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Glenn Røsbekk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can use your own personal email with a personal domain to connect to any type of Office 365 subscription, including Office 365 Home. Office 365 Home relies on a Microsoft account for authentication. A Microsoft account can be created with any personal domain email, it is not required to be Outlook.com/Hotmail.com, etc. Once the Microsoft account is created using your personal email, you can use it to activate and sign into your Office 365 Home subscription.
    If you don’t have a Microsoft account, go to the Microsoft account sign-up page and click on Create account. In the User name box enter your personal domain email address you wish to use. Fill out the rest of the form and click Create account.
    Now you can set up your Office 365 Home subscription with your Microsoft account. This will be the Microsoft account associated with your Office download. If you have already purchased Office 365 Home and it is not associated with a Microsoft account that is registered with your personal domain email, you have two options. You may contact support for account and billing inquires at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/get-support/office/office-365-home-premium#. The second option is to share your Office 365 subscription with your personal domain email as if you were sharing with a new user (see below).
    To add users, log into Office365.com, click on My Account in the upper right portion of the webpage. This page will help you manage your Office 365 Home subscription, allow you to share the subscription with up to four other users, activate your other benefits such as Skype minutes and 1TB of storage on OneDrive, and much more. To share your subscription with other users, click Share Office 365, which will send an invite to any email address. Before the person you invited can use your subscription, they will need to sign in with their own Microsoft account.

100 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I uses my own email address to create a microsoft account.
        But also here all emails sent from Outlook 365 webmail sent with as <outlook_xxxxxxx@outlook.com> On Behalf Of xxxx(own domain) which is totally unacceptable.

Also, the solution with the "Connected accounts" is unfortunately very unsatisfactory!
        1. Sent e-mails from a connected account will not be filed under Sent of the connected account.
        2. The synchronization times are very arbitrary and can take up to several hours .. :(.

I had read that it could work with with a domain by GD, but my domain is not registered there! Also it seem there is a limitation with alias addresses!

In the moment I am a litte bit frustrated with my Office 365 Home, with mailing and the usage with outlook.com with own email domain(s)!

Also no chance to add a Exchange Online Plan 1 to Office 365 Home :( .
        Only by creation of an dedicated second business account, but what happend then, when I want to work / share things with a part of my family with microsoft accounts....????

• A B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried all ways to use my own email/domain in Office 365 (online). Add as shared family member, add as alias, have my Microsoft account already set up for my personal email/domain.

All emails sent from Outlook 365 webmail appear to be sent with delay and as <outlook_xxxxxxx@outlook.com> On Behalf Of xxxx(own domain) which is totally unacceptable.

Does anyone have any idea whether this problem can be fixed?

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

[continued from previous post]

So basically you have three options now:

Option A: transfer your domain to GoDaddy
        Option B: (e.g. if GD doesn't offer your TLD): go along as described above and buy their "premium DNS feature" - that allows you to use their servers indefinitely without having the domain there.

And last not least:
        Option C: not for the faint-hearted :-)
        Set up with temporary zone as described above.
        Then look at what MS actually configured for your domain (view the records in GoDaddy).
        Copy all on those over into your own DNS / to whatever other DNS-provider you use.
        Re-set the domain's DNS server to your own.

This way the relevant records will stay the same, so email will still continue to end up on MS Servers. Question is just if MS will at some point re-check if the Domain is still in GoDaddys DNS Server.
        I would vaguely hope that they don't, because: why should they?
        But there is no way to know if this works until the first person tries it :-)
        Perhaps I'll try at some point...
        Again: perhaps not the right choice for productive use.

@Amanda:
        you are reffering to the "how to do without having your Domain @GoDaddy?

Easy:
        create an account on GoDaddy, -> DNS -> add DNS hosting
        THis way you can generate DNS records for y domain even if it is not registered with GD.
        Then add all records that you might want to have for this domain (e.g. A-record for website).

GD will provide you with info which Nameserver this will reside on (e.g. nsXX.domaincontrol.com).
        Go to the registrar where you have your Domain and set the domain to use these nameservers instead.
        Wait for a day for everything to propagate and then go to outlook.com anbd add the domain in the "premium" section.

BUT:
        triggered by the comments here: https://goo.gl/Y81VzS I checked:
        Indeed GoDaddy states that such a zone without a domain on their servers will be deleted after 30 days.
        What a pity.
        Sorry, I did not notice this before. Also the zone which I created more than 30 days ago still is alive and kickin' on their servers - but I believe this basically disqualifies this as a longer term productive setup.
        Only do this for testing!!!

So basically you have three options now:

Option A: transfer your domain to GoDaddy
        Option B: (e.g. if GD doesn't offer your TLD): go along as described above and buy their "premium DNS feature" - that allows you to use their servers indefinitely without having the domain there.

[to be continued]

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, looks like this has finally been added in partnership with GoDaddy!

I have been tring this for the last weeks now.

The FAQ still reports this feature as "currently in limited preview to a subset of subscribers.", so it's probably not yet for everybody and perhaps also too early to switch completely, but all my testing was completelysuccessful as of yet.

You can connect to a GoDaddy Domain (the Domain actually does not need to be registered via GoDaddy, it's enough to only use GoDaddy for DNS, but to keep the domain registered elsewhere).

You can create (and change) ONE email address per Office-account:
        If you have your O365 home license shared with other users, each account can also create ONE address within this domain.

All of this works fine and nicely so far, receiving, sending etc.

The only downside is that you can obviously only have as many email addresses as Office-Accounts. No chance to have an extra alias for SPAM or your printer or the kid that doesn't need a full office license.
        This is a real limit to an otherwise splendid feature.

Let's see how this evolves and when it is finally been released.

Thanks MS for listening!!

• Paul Armstrong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this COULD be available now. I have the option in the Premium Features section when I log into my mail online. Cant get it to work but the option is there

• ikomrad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I recently moved my personal and business domains from G Suite to Exchange online, but I'm considering moving at least my personal domain to Office 365 home. I noticed the Office 365 business exists and offers hosted email, but not Office 365 Home?

Sure, I've only had my own domains and ran my own email/dns/other servers for 20 years. Maybe it's time for MS to catch up with the tech-savvy users?

Very exciting news were discovered in "MS Community": https://goo.gl/AYUR4N
        This points to this FAQ here: https://goo.gl/iQ1X2V

So there seems to be some beta going on for this function.

I checked, the function exists in my account. I couldn't yet add a domain bu I will contiune to try it to see if it lives up to m expectations but at least there seems to be very real reason for hope in this matter!

Because of this missing feature (and only that because apart from that I'm very happy with O365) I have canceled my subscription a while back and as it expires soon I wanted to check back to see if there is any improvement here.

So this request is now approaching the "2,000 votes-mark", making this the second-highest ranking feature request in "O365 general" and also being in the range of the top 3 feature requests in other sections.

And still it is not only not in any public roadmap, it is simply totally being ignored by MS.

Very sad. So I'll let this expire now. Thanks and goodbye.

• A.Dowers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I administrate numerous business and personal domains along with their email solutions. The three email solutions I have/do administrate are Google (G Suite), Microsoft, and Zoho. At this time, Zoho is the only one offering a free solution to private email domains. Their solution is fantastic and a strong competitor to both Google and Microsoft. I completed onboarding a private domain to Zoho just today. Their paid options are also competitive and the free offering also provides you with their full suite of office/document solutions along with fantastic iOS and Android apps.

• Steffen Braa Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being an owner of a family domain for 17 years, I have currently 10 family members registered with their individual custom email addresses. The setup was done years ago on Microsoft Live Domains - and although very simple, the setup with an admin page for adding and removing mailboxes and an MX registration worked well providing custom domains to the Microsoft email solutions.
        After the decommissioning of this solution, I have been continuously searching for a replacement. My preference would be to sign up for O365 Home accounts for everyone, but as we all know, this is not possible.
        I have so far chosen to stay with the grandfathered Microsoft Live solution, but as my youngest child is now at an age, where email starts to be interesting, I will have to migrate everyone to a setup where I can add new accounts. For a long time, I have had a hope that this would be O365, but apparently not.
        This is definitely not a matter of moving to something better that I would rather use, but a matter of Microsoft forcing me to move away - or abandon the family domain (which will NOT happen!)
        And even if the usability issues mentioned with O365 Business did not exist, the price plan does not match that of a family account. Usage is most often considerable less and I wouldn't like to pay a monthly O365 Business subscription for having my great grandfather write an email or two a week.
        So - with this apparent lack of functionality that even used to be - I regret that I will have to migrate the entire family away from the Microsoft infrastructure...

• Mario Mueller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry, but the proposed solution is not close to anything that really solves the problem. The feature request asks for pointing MX records to "your" email servers. What you propose is just a forwarding. Forwarding or synchronization also removed one of the premium protection benefits, making the product less attractive for security-sensitve users.

Can we either get a better excuse or an implementation plan?

I'm in G-Suite right now, just because there are no really good, hosted, worry-free solutions beside it. You can make yourself now a compeditor and go for all the pro-sumers that currently are bound to use G-Suite for individuals / families.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I signed up for Office 365 Business just so that I can use my own domain with Outlook and Office Suite. I don't mind the price gap, but the most annoying thing about a Business account is that - it is NOT a Microsoft Account, which is totally ridiculous. As a result, the following issues happen:

- I have to retain 2 accounts - one with a live.com domain and one with my personal domain. Windows 10 keeps saying I need to sign in using the live.com domain in order to better manage my laptop. No work or school account is accepted.
        - I have to use Skype for Business for my own domain account, and it is way inferior compared to Skype.

- I can't set Onedrive to automatically upload photo to my Office 365, because, well, clearly it is just for work?!

- Many of 3rd-party apps I am using doesn't recognise my Office 365 account any longer, because again, it is NOT a Microsoft account.

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Use my own domain in outlook.com was the only reason for me to buy Office 365 Home. I recognized later that this feature was removed...

So Office 365 is useless for me...

• Clayton Bunyard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. What would it take for us to be able to use <myname>@<myfamily>.com instead of @outlook.com for our Office 365 Home accounts? I honestly would like to know why this is not available and/or why it is not on the development schedule?

The "Try this instead" is completely missing the point and not a useful answer.

• Thomas Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anything official on this?

I have read somewhere that they would implement all the features from Outlook Premium. But it seems that this has been abandoned?

• Rick Nyman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bummer, I'm annoyed with Google providing worse services for people with Google Apps domains, so I was going to see what Microsoft could offer - reading this thread, I think I'll stay where I am.

The short of my requirement is that I want email and productivity tools for the family, using a custom domain. If I can do domain aliases or subdomains, that's even better. It doesn't have to be free, but $50/user/year (Google) is a little more than I'd like to spend, and $150/user/year (O365) is just too much.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base