Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Be able to sort emails by category ... like you could in previous versions of outlook

1,370 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tiffany Marlin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

170 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you Peter Bachman. I have wasted - literally - hours trying to find out how to sort emails by category, searching dozens of forums and tutorials. Your answer actually helped!

• Peter Bachmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another option in the Desktop Version of Outlook 365:
    - scroll down to the bottom of your folder pane
    - right click "Search Folders" and select "New Search Folder"
    - in the list select "Categorized mail" and then chose the Category or Categories you want to show
    - you can also display the new folder in the favorites at the top of your folder pane

• Drifter Kona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To clarify my previous post right below, when I say, "Message Pane," I am not talking about the folder navigation pane where you see Inbox, Deleted Items, etc. Nor am I referring to the reading/preview pane where you read the actual message. I am referring to the pane that shows the list of messages and includes who it was from, the attachment icon, categories, flags, etc. That is what I am referring to when I say "Message Pane."

• Drifter Kona commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can sort Outlook Messages by category using the following steps.
    - At the top of the message pane, toward the left you will see "All" and "Unread". Toward the right, you will see (probably) "By Date" with a drop down arrow. Click that drop down arrow.
    - In the drop down box, click "Categories". That will sort according to category.
    - to right of the "By Categories" drop down arrow, you will see a directional arrow. Click that to move the categories to the top of the sorted list or the bottom of the sorted list.

• Peter Bachmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS IS IMPLEMENTED. In your folder pane click "add favourite", write the name of your category (you'll see a coloured flag), select it and you'll have a smart, sorted folder showing only those categorised mails.

• Ann Lawrence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am accustomed to relying on sorting by category in my old Outlook. I just signed up for Office 365 and am VERY frustrated that I cannot organize my Inbox in a meaningful way.

• Peter Jonsson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on, we need this! Business impact in lost hours is huge.. because we use outlook app, connection to shared mailboxes online (not cached)

Please enable sorting by Category in Webmail, without this ability I cannot use Webmail very much.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE bring back the option to sort by categories. The sort and filter functions have been SEVERELY limited and this is becoming a huge handicap in email management.

• marwerno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also important when using the Online version of Outlook 365!
    I categorize all mail. I have currently online NO WAY of finding mail (You can't filter for it, you can't sort all the mails you have by category as a work around) which is not categorized, nor sort them decently because of this missing feature.

• Liz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some people are saying they are able to categorize emails in O365. For those that are able, can you please share the trick. I have conversations already turned off and it will not allow me to color code an email. It does appear I can select a given color and it will find them all, but since I have none currently assigned, nothing is found.

I agree with all the other comments, people have been complaining about this since 2016 and Microsoft obviously isn't listening to the end user. How sad.

• Jane Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You've just about rendered categories useless if you cannot sort by them.At least, I can search by them. But you can save search, so it's one click to get to a category?

Please bring back categories!! I work on multiple projects with large lead times, and I NEED to be able to sort my inbox!!!!

• Ashley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use the search box in upper left of folder pane to search by typing the word 'category' followed by a colon(:) followed by your category name

category:Pending

Admitted it would be better if there was a keyboard shortcut for this, but for those with many categories it can help

Similarly

to:[email or lastname]
    cc:[email or lastname]
    Subject:[SearchTerm]
    body:[Text]
    date:[date]
    Type:[email,appointment]

• Fraser howe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS Office 365 (desktop) on Windows 10 Pro: How to create/assign categories to messages, calendar items, contacts, tasks; then how to filter view by category/categories (more than one)?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base