Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Dynamic distribution group based on domain

It seems impossible to create a DDL based on the domain name, because the recipient filter does not accept wildcard at first position in the -like condition.

256 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also need to create a O365 group with users from a specific domain so they can be added easily to a SharePoint team site while leaving other group of users out. The need to able to do this is a most

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What's even more infuriating is that you can't do a*contoso.com, b*contoso.com, c*contoso.com, etc, etc. either which DOES confine to the rule but will still produce no results.

• Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just trying to do this now - this is pretty silly that you can't do this.. seems obvious.

We need this to filter by domain and in string. Only if part of department *UC_WN*

• Nathan McCoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In Active Directory set all users in company 2 with email addresses *@company2.com users "Company" field in users properties to "Company 2".
    (Optional for further filtering, set all users in company 1 with email addresses *@company1.com users "Company" field in users properties in Active Directory to "Company 1".

Then issued command
    Set-DynamicDistributionGroup -Identity "DDG Company 1" -RecipientFilter {(RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -and (-not(company -eq 'Company 2'))}

This worked for our situation, hope it helps. Find a custom attribute to set and set it, then filter the DDG based on that custom attribute.

• William Prawira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

well...I've been looking for this one since starting office365 3 years ago. Looking at another 3 years maybe?

• Jared O. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This also impacts things like addresslists since it utilizes recipientfilter as well. We cannot create an addresslist based on windowsemailaddress domain since we can't use leading wildcard. Instead we'll have to script something to check it and update a customattribute with just the domain then filter on that.

Filter by domain for dynamic distribution group in a cloud only environment is a must have for a large enterprise.

• Sergio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To be something really important, I don´t see A LOT of people asking for it or even saw a lot of post claiming for this change. Anyway, I would like to have something to filter by domain... something like "SMTP.Domain" instead a leading wildcard character. I understand that would be a overload for the servers to constantly query something with * in the front, and that´s why they removed it from Cloud services, but guys, the SMTP domain can be queried from the mailbox. I think there is not A LOT of people asking for it, and that`s why we have only 9 comments and now 10 with me in 2 years.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to be more precise, the restriction, that leading wildcards in a search filter are not supported, should be removed. This would solve this problem and many others regarding distribution lists.

• Jay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This situation/limitation should be more clearly signposted within the documentation and the fast track process. Really disappointed that o365 doesn't support something that on-prem DDL have been doing for years.

I think it is a disgrace that this limitation has not been addressed and or more clearly signposted

• Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've also used a custom attribute field to accomplish this, but if I forget to add it for a new user or mistype the domain in the user's attribute, they're completely missed.

Disappointing that O365 can support multiple domains, but something as simple as a dynamic distribution list by domain isn't supported. Hoping this is resolved sooner rather than later.

• Bernadette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So despite the assertion that I could completely migrate my environment to the cloud, I have now fully realized that I must maintain an on-premise Exchange server to host and manage my Dynamic Distribution Lists which are "DYNAMIC" based on the end-user's AD OU. I used to simply move a user and their list memberships changed based on the OU they were in... but not with O365....... UGGGH....

• bgmCoder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't imagine the reasons for not having a built-in method of creating dynamic distribution lists filtered by domain name. We have probably 20 domains - how in the world am I supposed to send an email to the members of one of them? IN an on-prem environment you can use *@my.domain in your filter - but not online. My vote! +1

Must be able to create a DDG for a specific domain when hosting multiple Domains on a tenant

• Tuna Malik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a MUST. It is not acceptable that a recipient filter can not accept wildcards at first position, therefore domain name based DDL can not be created. I hope MS can solve this problem until 2020.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base