Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Sync Project Tasks with outlook

To whom it may concern:

My name is Sherry Masih and I work as a project manager for HH Builders. We are a construction development company located in New York. Last Year we migrated all our emails to Microsoft office 365 in the lieu of using the Microsoft Project Task sync option to Outlook. Since we are a construction company it is very necessary for us to be able to assign tasks to each project manager in Microsoft Project and have it directly synced with their Outlook Tasks. This feature has tremendously worked well with our organization from the time we implemented it. We have not had any issues with this feature and almost all of our employees are using this feature to get their tasks sync’d with outlook and phones.

However I was told today that Microsoft will be deleting this feature from office 365 and we will no longer have access to this. I would like to tell you that this feature was the only reason why we switched over to office 365 and we have spent a lot of money and hours training our employees to use this feature correctly. We absolutely need this feature and I need to talk to someone who can help me understand better how I can replicate this feature.

I would appreciate if someone would get back to me about this.

Thank you
212-924-3100

211 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sherry Masih shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a really important functionality for my team as a pm I need to make sure they received the task, alert, and follow it up. this must be reinstated. thanks

Amen Brothers and Sisters,
    I am shocked that I can no longer do this.

It is a big loss Microsoft, and creates a big problem in my ability to manage projects and tasks in one place.

Put it back Microsoft. What is the issue with having this option?

• Mickle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really can't believe that they are removing such a key feature. Maybe it meant too much cost as the server had to keep checking on tasks on sharepoint sites, but you need to modify technology, not remove a key feature and selling point of Offie 365. Horrible decision.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey MS, if you are still going to reinvent productivity, why not make the core TASKS/TO-DO functionality in Outlook/O365 finally work properly!
    1. First off, enable the much needed Outlook Desktop Tasks functionality (e.g. filters, grouping, views) on the web/mobile.
    2. Support easy-to-use SharePoint, Project, and Dynamics CRM/ERP integration.
    3. Next, make sure that new Task Management related initiatives (GigJam, Planner, Wunderlist) are properly linked to the core functionality already in use (Outlook Tasks + OneNote).

• Thierry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I agree and I want to know what is the alternative in order to create a list of tasks shared in Sharepoint or Exchange ? in order to view them in Outlook and assign them to different team members ! I wonder if the tasks management in Outlook will still exist ?

• Alexander commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you Sherry. I'm at the same point. Unfortunately tasks are not syncing anymore on my share point sites for us, this feature is already dead before the announced end. I hope Microsoft team will bring something new to replace this feature, an easy way to colaborate with other people on the same project and be more productive this way.
    If not there are some third party out there that can provide this kind of feature.

My initial deployment of giving access to SharePoint for our 1400+ employees is on hold in large part to not knowing the outcome to this issue. Losing the ability to consolidate one tasks puts a stop to our plan to use SharePoint to manage tasks from various meetings and projects.

To quote a comment I read online, “My biggest disappointment, and outright fear, is how such a feature is removed without any rationale for why, perhaps including a better way forward. That is downright scary.”

Feedback and Knowledge Base