I suggest you ...

Enable Office 365 suite bar/navigation (including the waffle) to be used in custom apps

When I'm developing an Office 365 app, it should be possible to include the suite bar easily in my application's UX. The App for SharePoint model has this with the "chrome control", but no equivalent currently exists for Office 365 apps - and this means I have to roll my own navigation so that users can exit my app and return to other bits of Office 365. What I want is to integrate the suite bar into my apps - so users can use the waffle to get to the "My apps" page, use their pinned shortcut links to move across to other services etc.

This would provide consistent navigation across the Office 365 suite, *including* in custom apps which choose to implement it.

505 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris OBrienChris OBrien shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rikard StrandRikard Strand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very nice with a UX to include the NavBar and AppLauncher into other custom apps (Azure web pages) and also external SaaS applications. This so when building a unified "web portal" for the users it's easy for them to navigate to "standard office 365" pages.

Maybe the following features could be implemented as well:
        - Possibility to enforce a app (make it impossible to remove/unpin from app-launcher)
        - On click in app launcher (setting for open in new window/tab, keep window, open as overlay)
        - Possibility to have the NavBar on different places (left,right, top, bottom - like Windows start meny)
        - Possibility to have the NavBar "always visible" or "auto-hide with slide in"

• Marko PršićMarko Pršić commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been looking for this for long time, but no luck. At least, finding it here means that more people have simmilar needs. There is no better way of securing the Office 365 platform than enabling developers to integrate custom apps in Office 365 look & feel. Suite bar & app launcher are top of the list. I already have an application which relies on Azure AD for AuthN & AuthZ, and integrated with Graph API to provide additional functions. Now I just need the possibility to add the launcher so that my users can easily switch between the applications. Thanks!

• Maarten VisserMaarten Visser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Especially when building Office 365 extentions (SaaS solutions deliverd from the Office Store) this is a MUSThave.

• Tom EasthamTom Eastham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good suggestion. I'm not getting the user experience I want with my provider hosted app and Office 365. I don't want to create my own nav to be consistent and have the overhead of maintaining it inline with O365 updates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base