Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add more color choices for office themes

Add some darker color choices for outlook themes.

419 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Russell Hugenberger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Office 365/Office 2019 themes are simply awful. Comments from users at my manufacturing company...

... "Black" looks like a high contrast theme for the visually impaired
        ... "White" is too bright and strains my eyes after a few hours
        ... "Colorful" isn't colorful. It's just the white theme with a colored header
        ... "Dark Grey" is drab and depressing... like a cold, dark, winter day

Why did Microsoft remove the user's ability to customize colors? The only excuse (a lame one, at best) might be to eliminate some security vulnerability, but are color customization settings like we had in Office 2010 really stored at the kernel level? I doubt it.

• Mars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our office just "upgraded" to Office 365. I have to say, this s* is UGLY! How is this an improvement. Terrible!

I have used all 3 colour variations and none of them are friendly on the eye. I have struggled with my vision for many years and your choices are not suitable for sight sufferers.
        The 'colourful' option has no clear distinction of areas and items 'blend' into each other. The darker options are very bad for sight sufferers. Please can we have more options?

Very limited pallet and rather shocking. Is this just due to us being on Microsoft Windows 7 and a half way house to Windows 10 before it improves I wonder? Kindest regards, Gary

• Johnny R McCarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I add my voice to many others - more ability for user customization, MUCH more colorful standard themes, think Office 2003/2007. Remember, there ARE other choices.

• susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also my dumbing down comment is definitely only aimed at MS and NOT Apple at all.

• susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Patrick Rodgers, I didn't want to mention the 'A word' myself but the whole feeling I have with Office is very much that...eye candy over function, as well as dumbing down everything and making life trickier for those of us who more extensively use Office functions. MS has been making customization/personalization of our tools harder and harder. The "new improved' icons I already hate, and as for colour theme choice...could it be any more restricted?

(no Apple wars here, I love some of their products really)

• Patrick Rogers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Suddenly all my toolbars in Office programs are super flat. I have a hard time picking out the toolbar items I want - even those that are familiar that I use all the time. I only have 4 theme options, which are way too white/bright, or too dark (black), or make a hash of the screen elements (dark gray). I need more contrast to make it easier for my eyes to pick out different elements. Can you at least let us add themes or customize the colors more so that we can make this software easier on the eyes? You really are holding me ******* to a very limited range of display options. Please don't be Apple!! :-( Eyes hurting... 8-(

• James Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1 the latest update and theme for the icons suck. Can you allow devolpers make custom themes and upload them and let it be verified my microsoft. It can be in microsoft store. I would be fine with 5 dollars for a decent theme that is custom. Kinda of like how google chrome themese work.

it can more creative if more themes added than version 2013, while now you keep only three Themes its not fair because its less than 2013 also. :( ;) :D

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just received the targeted update for Office and the Outlook theme "colorful" is now "colorless". Why is there no longer any contrasting colors? What is with this completely flat styling? Why was the tab replaced with an underline? Yes, the icons now have more color, but all other colors were removed.

• Harry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see by the comments below, I'm not the only one to suffer from this. Yes, beginning Office 2013, the interface is just terribly ugly and brings fatigue to your eyes. The choice of dull colors make me think of a puke (folders- neither orange nor yellow). Unfortunately this is made on purpose everywhere (for some reason) and customization has been removed. More and more apps or OS's propose yellow or bright grey text on white background, or green on blue or whatever else. The esthetics are sad, tiring, ugly, unreadable..... The possibility to change interface with the choice of three background colors and images - useless.

Office 2016 themes with 3 choices are awful. Please add more choices e.g. blue, beige etc. We seemed to have gone backwards with Office 2016

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so dissapointed with ony having 3 colour theme options, none of which are kind to my eyes! Awful!

As a person with a visual impairment it's so frustrating that I can't change the colour scheme on any of the Office 365 like you can in Outlook 10. The system is so unfriendly and really limited. It's such a shame that Microsoft are so "shot sighted" when it comes to user accessibility. The supportive software the do offer is all voice related which is really not helpful. A basic list of colour options is all that's required to make a huge difference. Plus "white text on a blue background" can't the user decide whether they want "black text" or "white text" depending on their preference.
        Bring back choice!

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I want to do is just the contrast on new mail to make it stand out more, as I don't see it. There doesn't seem to be a solution for something so simple. Just give an option for Outlook 2010 theme will do it.

They will start offering it once Google launches their own Office software. MS always starts late and believes in "If other can do, so can we"

I really don't like the clinical look of the 2016 Office. Everything is just sharp, abrupt angles. I miss the more colorful, softer version of 2010. Is there any way to bring that into the 2016 version as an option? The current "color" themes you offer are not many but, overall, they do not change the clinical feel of it. The 2016 version feels like we regressed in technology and we are back to the simplistic look of the 90s. Way to show progress!

• Jon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just want the black theme for all versions, or to open up the themes to authorized third parties that want to help Microsoft with UI since they are clearly incompetent in that department.

Why on earth is "design" and usability so hard for Microsoft? I would say 95% of free office Android apps have a better designed colour/usability scheme than Microsoft. A software for hundreds of pounds, offering (please sit down to not be blown away) four (yes, "4"!!) choices of colour schemes. That must have occupied your design department for months. I totally can see where all your billions you earn go...

Along the same lines: Is it soooo hard to make "Today" stand out more in the calendar? Have a look at Google calendar, they make it really perfect. But hey, Google is free, must be cr**, right?

Sorry for the rant, I'm just lost at this level of incompetence...

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base