Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Offer Options for the Office 365 Ribbon Appearance

I am disappointed with the appearance of the new Office 365 ribbon. I use a desktop and a laptop and find the monotone look and the over simplistic icons confusing and hard to read. These look like changes, just for the sake of change.
Options to revert to earlier versions that users were familiar with, would have been appreciated.

209 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

32 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Francois v.d.Berg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the main reason for the new icons was to cater for the icons not displaying well in all resolutions, why is my company (where not one workstation had this issue) forced to use "the new look".
    Executives are furious along with most of the other users. Interestingly the most complained about aspect is the same thing that troubles me and that is the amount of space wasted between all the previously better spaced toolbars and options. Maybe get some more user feedback before a global push where we don't have a say or opt out option. I can keep rambling about we, the admins mostly look incompetent but that would just be me venting.
    MS, you guys do great work in the background and with the things that really matter. What you really suck at are the trivial things.

• Lydia Jean Herz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please continue option of reverting to Classic Desktop. This has been possible up to now. I followed online discussions of "what is new in latest automatic updates" and "making new desktop mandatory" was not among them. Regardless, we deserve to have the option. We are paying for this -- a significant amount of money every year just to keep up to date with MS software. Come on, the consumer has some rights. A friendly MS would respond to consumer suggestions...just provide the OPTION to those who want it. It can't be that hard for a company with the prestige and "competence" of MS to show a bit of cooperation with and ability to respond to consumer requests.

• Bobbie Ruth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new feature/design forced the update of Office 365 needs to be rolled back to the previous view/feature because it is taking up 1/2 of the computer screens in our office and hard to see where subject, persons being emailed, ect….should go. Calendar was effected along with new emails & meetings. Spacing is too large and hard to navigate without boxes. Blue line does nothing for me would rather have boxes back.

• susan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had set my Office 365 to previous version because I have issues with the new toolbar icons both in colour (lack thereof) and size.
    For the past 8 months I have sped along with old icons and my customized toolbars - I'm in publishing, speed and efficiency is everything.
    I just installed a language pack, not an update, and now you've ruined all my toolbar layouts again. I did not consent to an update! Everything is nondescript, again. Everything on my toolbars is collapsed to a dropdown arrow, again. I will now have to waste my time to find out how to revert yet again. AGAIN!
    WHERE IS CUSTOMER CHOICE? OR IS OUR ONLY CHOICE TO LEAVE MS?
    NOT HAPPY AT PAYING AND HAVING NO CONTROL!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new look of Office appears to be a significant step backwards.
    Feedback on this from Microsoft is pretty much 'this is what it is, and you'll have to learn to like it'.
    It was this sort of attitude that made me dump FireFox for another non-Microsoft browser.
    If this is how Microsoft is going to treat its customers, there's other choices to make.

So, Microsoft. You have a successful and popular product. Why are you making unannounced and unwanted changes which clearly anger your customers?
    Your customers are giving you honest feedback, and the response is 'Tough. Learn to like it'?

Doesn't seem very customer friendly.

• BJ Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new icons are very difficult to see and extremely BORING. Whose genius idea was this? Come on people. These icons are totally ridiculous. We pay through the nose for your products -- give us what we want and stop taking what we want away from us!!

• Bryan Hacker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This stinks, I manage 100s of emails a day in multiple email boxes and this update is making it tough to read and distinguish emails as easily as in the past.

When you roll out updates like this you should ALWAYS allow users to revert back to the old version while its new and bugs exist.

This is Office 2007 all over again. Old Ribbon was far better. The Reply buttons are all just outside of the users FOV. Forcing you to turn your head to see them. I'm not trying to strain my neck anymore then I have to. You want a new look thats fine, but don't take away a working ribbon and replace it with a badly designed one.

People need hours of training when you pull huge design changes like this.A heads up would have been nice. Now to roll back to 2016, a far easier to use ribbon. Thanks for wasting hours of my day with this bad update

Terrible experience with the new ribbon. It is slower and harder to see. You are making users' lives much more difficult. All my employees are unhappy with these forced changes. Please revert back and stop pushing changes without getting enough feedback from users.

Can you make the unread mail vertical blue bar a little wider, similar to Outlook 2016, so it's easier to click on it to toggle emails between read and unread?

I have been using Outlook 365 for 6 months now and I am still not happy with it. I find it very difficult to manage my emails because of the look. Please make it so that we can use the old format if we so choose to.

• Katherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. This is ridiculous. I'm working with WordPad because of this. Absolutely terrrrrrrible change.

I do not like the way Office 365 have increased the number of clicks required for simple tasks.

I also feel that the option for using the old style interface should be available for people that prefer it.

Thank you for listening!

• Jack Hawkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should always be an option to use the classic office theme or allow third parties to create legacy themes. With the update in April 2019, ribbon icons have become worse visually for all 4 available themes, Black, White, "Colorful" (which is nowhere near colorful), and Dark Gray.

So please add functionality to revert to classic ribbon icons.

• Gary Lowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The complaints I'm already receiving about how hard it is to see, with the much smaller letters. For those without great eyesight, Word and Outlook appear the same.
    Please allow an option to bring back the prior icons.
    Change for the sake of change is not good and unfortunately there is a long track record of it at MS.

• Stu McLeod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can hardly tell what the new Outlook icon is now on the task bar - why mess whith what wasn't broke. Im really getting more than annoyed ( I say that to save swearing on the net ! ) - there is really bad designers employed at MS now , and its undermining the principle of keeping things clean and simple . Outlook symbol now is blur patchwork quilt icon that you need a microscope to view the imaginable envelope. If there is a way to go back to old I would in a heartbeat. Fix my useless 4 second delay on the ADD NEW on the right click desktop …. a bug that was NEVER in previous builds of MS instead of wasting money and time on redesigning a perfectly round wheel.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Backwards compatibility is a lost art. People DO NOT LIKE FORCED CHANGE. Youngling (young Programmers) won't know this, I wonder how this effected the Visually Impaired.

A svg version of the old layouts, icons and colors should not be a problem. Make it Right!

You would think this would be default by now. Users are like ants when working in this work related monotonous programs. An "OLD" Look eases transitions.

I'm interested to know if this actually went through UAT and who honestly felt these look better than the previous icons? I appreciate this was done for scaling but some of us don't need to scale and would prefer to stick with the visually mature design. It's just like the office colour schemes again but at least that retains the legacy design.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base