Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Offer Options for the Office 365 Ribbon Appearance

I am disappointed with the appearance of the new Office 365 ribbon. I use a desktop and a laptop and find the monotone look and the over simplistic icons confusing and hard to read. These look like changes, just for the sake of change.
Options to revert to earlier versions that users were familiar with, would have been appreciated.

95 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm interested to know if this actually went through UAT and who honestly felt these look better than the previous icons? I appreciate this was done for scaling but some of us don't need to scale and would prefer to stick with the visually mature design. It's just like the office colour schemes again but at least that retains the legacy design.

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do you keep changing the blasted user interface?
    People learn where stuff is, then you change it for the sake - apparently - of nothing more than appearances!
    There is of course the usual waffle about "improving productivity" and "listening to users" but I doubt that "users" request that MS throw out absolutely everything and rearrange it every couple of years; Equally I doubt that any marginal gains in productivity offset the frustration of searching for where MS have now hidden away this icon or that function.

• tlanzilatti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go back to the old icons. These are hard to find even though they're in the same spot. It's almost like they're invisible.

• Arrizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New toddlers' ribbon is probably fine for those who never used Office before (maybe for the ones who never used a computer before). But as we are used to some application/interface/way of doing things, don't you think MS it wolud be better to let people still working the old way? just a config option in the menu that let us customize the ribbons and interface the old fashion.

• Sven Dieltjens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it takes me up to 10 times longer to find the right icon, even if the place hasn't changed. My efficiency is going down with this update. I agree that these seem toddler icons and I understand the reason why, but I would at least like to have the option to keep using the old layout as I'm only working on a laptop or 24"screens. SAP has a similar issue with hard to 'read' icons in the new ayout but they give at least the options to continue to use the old but better 'readable' icons.

• Crystal Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with a previous poster. I do not like the icons for toddlers version of the new ribbon. But then again, I find the ribbon so much less useful than the previous menu. It takes six clicks to get to the menus that I need whereas "old" Outlook only took 2. The new "improvements" are making me so much less productive than the old tools. I wish you could give us options to fully customize our menus in a way that works for the user.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got the new ribbon today. Not only is it bad design and UI. It's completely distracting the eye. It is unbelievable how you can even think of using an icon design like that - it is the worst I have ever seen. Where is the "change back" option?

• Mason Landstreet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Look and feel should never override usability. I agree 300% (gave it 3 votes). It would be great if they would reintroduce the full customization options of earlier versions that allowed for customized icons, etc.

• V. Gregory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please go back to ribbon icons that are easier to see!! These thin, almost invisible lines are unproductive and annoying. Listen to your customers, please.

Feedback and Knowledge Base