Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add an option to turn OFF keeping a copy of SMTP relayed messages in sent items.

Recently the uservoice "SMTP Relay via Office 365 - Keep copy in Sent Items" was apparently implemented. As far as I can tell there is no way to turn this off. Please give those of us who don't want this an option to turn if off.

311 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Dave E. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give admins ability to toggle this on / off. Kiosk accounts filling up all over the place.

• pedro santos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is filling up, with many GB's, our email accounts with unwanted emails.
    This is feature creep and completely counterintuitive, this should be opt in and not other way around.

Please add an option to turn feature this off!

• Michele Del Negro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would appreciate to have the option to choose if to save a copy of SMTP relayed messages in sent items. Thanks.

• [Deleted User] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What idiots for adding this, it's not the job of SMTP to save email into the sent items folder and to not give the ability to turn it off. What plonkers.
    How did this ever pass any due diligence? To automatically turn on something that has such a big impact. Typical bloody M$.

• Dave E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since it doesn't seem like Microsoft is going to provide this option I found a way to take care of the problem. Take a look at Microsoft Flow which is part of your Office 365 subscription. Set up a flow that looks like this:

When a new email arrives: Folder: Sent Items, From: Names of relay senders.
    Delete email: Message Id: select Message Id from dynamic content list.

Works great here and got me interested in what else I can do with Flow.

please make it able to be on or OFF

I don't want or need it... it will fill the available space with reductant information

please allow turn off as scanner keep fill up already try delete them often but sometime forget! Thus, all user don't check their email from outlook at server and not from web, no time to go through all user mailbox!

• Bart Gyssels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pls provide a way so we can keep our send items box clean.
    As now there is no way to automate the deletion of messages send via smtp on a shared mailbox for example.

• Chris Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. This is nonsense — please provide a way to turn this off in O365.

Yes, IMAP clients let you choose where to save sent copies, but not all of them let you disable it. This has always been a client-side decision - or at least a decision and not a forced behavior. If you are going to offer it on the server side, then you also have to offer a toggle to get rid of it. I know if/when I want sent copies - you, Microsoft, absolutely do not! Clearly, Microsoft has learned absolutely nothing about IMAP since their horrible implementation of same in Outlook going back to its earliest days. Sadly, now they have gone and ruined other clients as well...
    Please pull your heads out of MAPI for just long enough to stop ruining IMAP?

For DECADES, IMAP CLIENTS are where you set your sent copies rules. HOW DARE YOU, MICROSOFT? This is a NIGHTMARE for IMAP users, who now have to delete TONS OF DUPLICATE SENT ITEMS. The idiocy at MS is staggering...

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please!
    We have a no-reply account sending via an IIS SMTP relay for scanners and such. We don't need to store the sent items at all, and now this gives us another headache to worry about, retention/quotas!

The ability to control this should have been included with the initial implementation! Just because some people want to store sent items, doesn't mean everyone does!

Feedback and Knowledge Base