Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Office 365 support for Windows Server 2019

With the recent announcement @ Ignite that Office 365 would not be supported on Windows Server 2019, I’d like to request that decision to be reversed. As a long time RDSH admin this is a poor decision and would require using Office 2019 to connect to a cloud mailbox. Essentially requiring a double license for Office functionality in RDSH.

1,615 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brandon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

71 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • stephan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're trying to get our customers to office 365 and exchange online, that is an absolute showstopper! If we'had to buy an normal office pro plus, there are no more arguments for using the office 365 exchange...... :-(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How stupid is that... It is a big step back. Shame on you Microsoft, your really suck big time.

We're trying to get our customers to office 365 and exchange online, that is an absolute showstopper! If we'had to buy an normal office pro plus, there are no more arguments for using the office 365 exchange...... :-(

this is frustrating. we decide now, that we don't buy 260 office 365 e3 plans because the installation on server 2019 is not supported - and show further for another solution.

• Gerald Koerber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

who had this brilliant idea? why not remove RDSH Role from server 2019 completely then? its essentially useless now.
    thanks MS

• Sad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is horrible decision. I truly hope that MS will change their minds and allow O365 to be installed to RDSH 2019, if not we have to move from O365 to something else.

• Michel Biesheuvel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't even know this since today. I am running RDS 2019 with XenApp 1903 and Office 365 for months now without any problem.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason at all to not support this. Really why on Earth? I still didn't read a TECHNICAL reason anywhere why it should not work because it OBVIOUSLY does WORK.

• Bob Gilchrist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Microsoft statement "Delivering Office 365 ProPlus remotely via Remote Desktop and Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) continues to be the key scenario for our customers. Microsoft is committed to enabling Office 365 ProPlus in this scenario along with key Windows 10 experiences like Microsoft Edge, Store for Business, and Cortana". This just shows how out of touch MS is with its customers. Remember the 2012 "charms" wtf?! NO-ONE uses Cortana in business - and nor do they want to - can you imagine the racket in an open-plan office?! Small businesses are well served by RDSH & Office ProPlus. Wake up Microsoft!

• Dyson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not running 365 internally as yet, but have been looking at options - only to find this, which royally buggers my upgrade plans and causes me to have to redesign entirely.
    What the **** MS? You already charge through the nose for VL, and now you want me to try split license to boot? It makes G Suite look super tempting.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customers should decide whether they want to use Office 365 pro in the cloud or on premise. (RDSH)

• Tom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely enable O365 ProPlus on Win2k19. Newer OS, longer support. RDSH is required as the backend for Citrix XenApp.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have an environment that uses RDS and was doing a complete hardware/software refresh....and now not sure which way we will go........Downgrading to server 2016 was mentioned...but then what is the point of trying to use the latest systems....Open Office and other non-Microsoft products were mentioned due to the cost of licensing Office already (Office 2019 ProPlus SA), as that is the only version you are allowed to use on an RDS, I swayed them away from using non-Microsoft products.....Now after finding out this...Unfortunately I completely agree with them and I will now be looking at alternatives

• Phil Sowden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a reseller to Small businesses, many of whom already have O365 ProPlus licenses, they will ask "Why the **** should we buy Office twice?"
    The only answer is that the Microsoft CEO doesn't think that he owns enough yachts.
    They will refuse. Not everyone wants their stuff on the cloud, with all the security, connectivity and cost implications.
    Bad idea Microsoft

• Phil Sowden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a reseller to Small businesses, many of whom already have O365 ProPlus licenses, they will ask "Why the **** should we buy Office twice?"
    The only answer is that the Microsoft CEO doesn't think that he owns enough yachts.
    They will refuse. Not everyone wants their stuff on the cloud, with all the security, connectivity and cost implications.
    Bad idea Microsoft

• Bob Gilchrist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have sold four WS2019 servers for use with RDS and O365. We purchased AND installed Windows before this announcemen! Grrr.

• Greg A commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a shocking decision, it makes no sense not to enable office365 for RDSH users.This is a huge step backwards by Microsoft.

• Michael E commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot understand this idea. RDSH is as Standard solution in many Environments and O365 is the best choice for Office licencing.
    Please reverse this Decision immediatly!

• Marc Bäuml commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With this decision one product is unsaleable. Office365 or Windows Server 2019. We have several customers just migrated to Office365. With no Support they never buy Server 2019

• carlo sedeyns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very poor business decision by Microsoft. We strongly rely on O365 proplus on RDSH servers for small businesses. We are forced to evaluate other non-microsoft solutions for our customers if Microsoft will not change this policy. This is ridiculous !

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base