Remove Extra Characters from the Copy Link URL recently introduced in SharePoint Online
Remove the extra URL characters in the GET A LINK function. Links now look like https://company.sharepoint.com/:b:/r/sites/sitecollection/Lists/Documents/test.pdf?csf=1 with the extra :b:/r/ in the URL. Other characters appear based on the type of document. Please eliminate these new characters and the ?csf=x variable at the end of the link so we can have clean URLs like https://company.sharepoint.com/sites/sitecollection/Lists/Documents/test.pdf.
Or at least give us the ability to configure SharePoint Online so we can have these characters removed.
This recent change by Microsoft to these SharePoint Online links is messing up our manufacturing software that is attempting to load these links from a mirrored site by the production floor operators. We're having to manually correct dozens of links every day.
I completely disagree. We send links to documents that are somewhat confidential, but we don't want the customer to have to login to access it. So-called "clean" URLs would allow hackers or others to potentially guess the file names, exposing private information and would force us to move to a login version instead, making our customer's experience more frustrating. We are very pleased with the randomized characters.
It is causing an error when opening .mpp files from a SharePoint Online library. This action couldn't be performed because Office doesn't recognize the command it was given. This when the people have Project 2016. If I remove the ?csf1, and anything behind it, so I am just left with the actual url to the .mpp file they then open.
what exactly is the point of this feature?
Josee Sevigny commented
The extra characters prevent SharePoint from relinking documents that are being moved. When those extra chars are not part of the URL, you can move files easily and hyperlinks to them keep working.
Wim Vanspringel commented
The extra characters have an additional side-effect when navigating pages using the "modern page design", it breaks the caching mechanism completely. Removing the extra characters and all works as expected.
We really need the "copy link" without the extra characters (/:u:/r) in the link.
When copying a link, the URL should only provide the Document Location. My organization is using Sharepoint Online as an alternative to a fileshare and we only need basic features. Copying a URL as a Document Location (without the extra characters) should be a configurable option either at the site level or the library level.
These Extra Characters are an extra burden for business end-users when using products like Excel Get &Transform and PowerBI. Please make sure all Microsoft products are by default compatible with SP links.
The 'Copy link' function is misleading for users as it creates a sharing link and not a reference to the file.
If you want to add a background image to a promoted link for example, you have to manually create the path to the image which is not acceptable and too complicated for normal users. As clicking on an item in SharePoint with the right mouse button no longer opens the browsers context menu but the item menu of SharePoint a one or two click functionality to copy 'real' links is a must.
Agreed. Microsoft should handle the thing at backend and not confuse end user's by having complex urls. Requesting clean urls.
James Qiao commented
We want public facing sites to have links to other pages which are readable, rather than having all these small bits making no sense to them.
For example, Microsoft Support site has URL https://support.microsoft.com/en-au, not https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/:b/s/home.html?csf=1&e=abcde1.
And if we need to insert links to 10 pages into another page, we can do copy-paste 10 times, rather than open-copy-paste-close 10 times.
It is not only time consuming, but also tend to bring more human errors.
Benoit Fournier commented
Users are not able to get clean links to put on pages or news articles. Getting a link to open in an app like Nuances or Adobe is way too complex.
I don't understand why there is not a single place to get a link without and extra characters
agreed, this also is an issue when you add a link to a Planner task. You need to manually remove the "&csf=1"
agreed. We want the ability to be able to copy a human readable link to the document - previously we could do this by right clicking the link to the file name, but now that brings up a sharepoint menu, rather than allowing us to copy the link. It is a lot simpler for users if they copy a link and they get something like:
than getting some weird link that doesn't make any sense.
This would also have an even more useful benefit of being able to copy a link that would open files directly in the client application, rather than a web view.