Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Eliminate "top results" in Outlook searches

I recommend eliminating top results, or at least making it an option. Most often, when I search for something, I need to see the sequence of emails and having some set off as "top results" defeats this. Additionally, I'm hard pressed to understand just what qualifies something as a "top result" when using one or two key words.

392 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

63 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Chace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please eliminate top results in email this is ridiculous. I look at the dates and when I search and see a date older than the email I'm looking for, I think I don't have that email I need.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft, this feature shames you. It is a pernicious function that misleads the user into making mistakes they would regret. I have not seen anything that suggests it is useful. So at least, please, please, make it optional so that those of us who are not willing to do something that is counter-intuitive (ignore some of the results of a search) or inefficient (work through duplicate results of a search) can work effectively with your email products.

• Jay Zheng commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since you gave me 3 emails as top result, I have to review at least 5 emails to ensure that I am replying the latest email.
    Stop it, please..

• CLK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just turn it off by doing this! It works!

To disable Top Results: Go to File -> Options -> Search and uncheck "Show most relevant search results on top. Exit Outlook and go back in. I got this from Ben and Gil on the MS Outlook team.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be fine if the emails that appeared in the Top Results also appears in the date ordered list, however, they dont and it means when looking through the date ordered list i have to double check the Top Results for the missing emails, so unintuitive and frustrating!

• Keane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Terrible feature with no use other than to distract me from what im looking for.

• Julie L. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I join the herd is requesting a way to turn TOP RESULTS off in Outlook searches. I've been using it for only a week and can't stand it. Really wondering if I even want to use this email solution any longer. It's almost as bad as grouped conversations in Gmail Inbox, at least you can turn that off. Please let it be an OPTION. If this were some free email server, I could see you limiting functions but we pay thru the nose for this. Give us the functionalty please.

• Allen P. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on Microsoft. For over a year, users have been begging for a way to turn Top Results in searches OFF. In my case, I want to turn it off in OWA. What is taking so long?

Has anyone worked out how to turn this 'feature'off in web? It's horrific and the only solutions I've seen are for the Outlook app itself.

I hate this feature on the web version, but was able to avoid in the client. Now my company has upgraded my client and I'm forced to see this "feature". There is virtually no benefit to "top results". Give us the option to turn off.

• Susan Burnett Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Top Results is making me crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many people have to ask before you listen to us?????????????? PLEASE......let us delete it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Oliver Wheatley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many times I have thought I have received the same email twice and deleted one of them realising later that it's missing. Stupid feature, unnecessary.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base