Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Outlook is not syncing and giving a "Need password" message

I have several users that over the last 1-2 months increasingly have experienced that their Outlook wont sync. All of them then experience as message in the bottom of the Outlook screen that says "Need password", but if you click it, you just get a quick blink of a white screen, and then it disappears.

While the issue is present for the users, it is not possible for them to create a new Outlook profile, as it wouldn't connect to the mailbox. I had luck with just rebooting my own computer, that fixed the issue for me, but only until the next day. Other users had bigger problems getting it to work.

The issue apparently seems to be an implementation on "Web Account Manager" (WAM) in Office/Windows. The solution is to set below registry key to 1 in below path.

Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity
Key: DisableADALatopWAMOverride (DWORD)

There is a bit more information on the error on below links. As said, the issue is resolved with above registry fix, but it obviously isn't optimal, and preferably it would be fixed by a software patch, either for Windows or Office.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025962/you-can-t-sign-in-after-you-update-to-office-2016-build-16-0-7967-or-a
https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/7kklt2/autodiscover_issue_on_outlook_2016_o365_exchange/
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2025536-outlook-2016-365-keeps-asking-for-credentials?page=3

391 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rasmus Dybro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

78 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great! The new key mentioned DisableAADWAM worked for me after the original one did not.

• Jeroen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

awesome! it worked! Thanks for this suggestion! I have been working in the webbased version of outlook, which is ****, so I am veryy happy to be able to use the traditional outlook again.

• jonas Bakkane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ******** that Microsoft can't fix this. I'm just a business owner running windows on my office computer, purchased 365 and now I'm dealing with this. I don't know how to change registry keys... I'm forced to reboot my computer every time this happens. Is there a step by step walk through somewhere?

• Derek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Works for me. I added DisableADALatopWAMOverride (DWORD) and set value to 1

• David Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've been seeing this for more than 6 months sporadically and again same for one computer today. There was no recent password change but suddenly behavior as described here. Adding this key and setting it to 1 fixed the issue with no reboot. We're seeing this reported by a very small number (half or a quarter percent maybe?) of the clients that we manage.

This was on Windows 10 Pro 10.0.16299 with MS Office 2016 ProPlus 16.0.9126.2315 and an Office 365 mailbox.

• AKS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't even see DisableADALatopWAMOverride in my registry. :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This just saved my team hours. Thanks for doing this. Strange that it doesn't happen on all computers.

• Aaqib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really worked after looking for lot of articles for almost 4 hours, Thanks a lot

Feedback and Knowledge Base