Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Outlook is not syncing and giving a "Need password" message

I have several users that over the last 1-2 months increasingly have experienced that their Outlook wont sync. All of them then experience as message in the bottom of the Outlook screen that says "Need password", but if you click it, you just get a quick blink of a white screen, and then it disappears.

While the issue is present for the users, it is not possible for them to create a new Outlook profile, as it wouldn't connect to the mailbox. I had luck with just rebooting my own computer, that fixed the issue for me, but only until the next day. Other users had bigger problems getting it to work.

The issue apparently seems to be an implementation on "Web Account Manager" (WAM) in Office/Windows. The solution is to set below registry key to 1 in below path.

Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\Identity
Key: DisableADALatopWAMOverride (DWORD)

There is a bit more information on the error on below links. As said, the issue is resolved with above registry fix, but it obviously isn't optimal, and preferably it would be fixed by a software patch, either for Windows or Office.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4025962/you-can-t-sign-in-after-you-update-to-office-2016-build-16-0-7967-or-a
https://www.reddit.com/r/Office365/comments/7kklt2/autodiscover_issue_on_outlook_2016_o365_exchange/
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2025536-outlook-2016-365-keeps-asking-for-credentials?page=3

485 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Rasmus Dybro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

92 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for this solution it works.
    SOLUTION: Settings>Accounts>remove account from "access work or school" worked!

After remove account, just re-initiate outlook and it will prompt for credentials and then it will connect successfully, no loss of emails or additional sync up needed

• Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quick random guidance for O365 users and random credential promblems - "password needed", random auth request, SSO not working as expected

Using email & accounts, removing WPJ account(disconnect reconnect in work or school), or dsregcmd /leave to leave AAD and joining again are all part of device recovery and should resolve majority of the issue.
    Which device recovery is performed depends on configuration.
    In addition, should be familiar with device registration in Windows 10, if utilizing O365 with WPJ and AADJ depends on it and helps troubleshoot.
    On the other hand, there were a lot of WPJ configurations from Windows 7, 8.1, 2012, that may be putting clients into unexpected configuration aside from users doing WPJ by clicking "OK" at allow org to manage device dialogue.
    If internal user is having cred issue ensure IWA is working as expected and if federated, mex url is available with appropriate security token end point.
    Other issues I've seen also includes ensuring that the certificate revocation check can complete or will likely be prompted.
    Though for most part, issues will come down to rather or not login.microsoft.com, login.windows.net is appropriately white listed and added to correct zone.
    One of the test that can help would be to use Edge, not IE or Chrome, then go to login.microsoftonline.com and after auth if user lands anywhere other than www.office.com, then there's networking issue.
    "Access Work or School" is in Settings -> Accounts in Windows build I believe 1709(with appropriate updates) and up

In regards to WAM registry keys, should not be used, ever. However, if used for troubleshooting, there can be benefit, just don't leave it there as it will expose risk in future for CA policies, SSO failure, and other features.
    If adal atop of wam fixes issue, then look at proxy. If other key works, then ensure Windows service end points are all available.

For users on Windows 1809 and above, WPJ recovery should be automatic.
    For Office builds, 1902+(would be targeted semi annual, not semi-annual which puts users at 1808) is mostly the stablest build when it comes to authentication related issues

Finally, if you need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us and open a ticket to help configure Windows 10 Azure client to ensure token operations are successful or necessary authentication end points are available.

Recommended KB -
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/administration/connection-issue-when-sign-in-office-2016
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/hybrid-azuread-join-plan
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/devices/troubleshoot-hybrid-join-windows-current

• Damon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had this same issue today and none of the reg keys were helping.

I managed to fix the problem by going into Settings > Accounts > Email & accounts, then click "Add an account".

I added the user's account and this fixed the Office 365 sign in issues for me. Emails are coming through and the user is signed into all the Office 365 applications now.

• Shannon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does one get to the "access work or school" setting? Running Windows 10 Home.

SOLUTION: Settings>Accounts>remove account from "access work or school" worked!

HERE IS A VERY IMPORTANT POINT

When setting up Exchange Account, you MUST select “This App Only” in the lower right corner

Otherwise, Exchange Account is linked to other Apps such as “Access Work and School”

• mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any further news on this Front? Windows 10 1903 doesn't help if that matters. Nor does having the very latest in Office 365 updates. Adding removing accounts : No Good. None of the Reg Edits help etc.

• Sheryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"No Registry changes, just removing the account (if it exists) in this Windows settings area: Settings/Accounts/"Access work or school" area. "

Been frustrated for weeks for dealing this same issue. Thank you to whoever gave this solution above, you are a genius.

• Sheila Vardakis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay..........I am beyond frustrated with Microsoft. I have had office 365 exchange for years and only in the last year has it been inefficient. I have had the stupid password pop up and not accept my actual password. So that is an issue.

The other big issue is my calendar and email do not sync with my phone app. The calendar is all the time while emails is intermittently. How can I run a business when I can't trust my phone to have my current calendar events on my phone?

• Jon Scarpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft absolutely needs to fix this issue. The problem is a result of enabling SSO through-out your organization and I've seen this problem for many years now at different companies. While not prominent problem with our users (multiple companies) it does happen sometimes and its annoying bug.

1) Typically, I've found rebooting your PC will fix this bug, no need to edit the registry key.

2) Also editing that registry key may be disabling SSO for Outlook, which allows you to store your password (which a hacker could grab and decrypt).

Please fix this annoying stupid bug!!!!!! Also, let me know to whom in Microsoft should I send my invoice for productive time lost grappling with this

• DML commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nearly a year and a half of this stupidity. Embarrassing! Fix it already.

• Admin of Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please fix this. I have this 1 poor employee i am tempted to make username2@domain.com and force them to change O365 / AAD users with the hope that this stops happening.

Please fix this. Premier support could also use a cheat sheet on this problem.

• Felippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh, moreover, I forgot to mention, Im using Outlook since 2012. So Ive been through this for several years already.

• Felippe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It always happened with me, you can just be clicking on the "OK" button for hundreds of time and suddenly it will stop asking for it, until you turn off and turn on again... This is a BUG in the system that is here forever and Outlook seems to be just ignoring it. I HATE IT!

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"No Registry changes, just removing the account (if it exists) in this Windows settings area: Settings/Accounts/"Access work or school" area. "
    - This worked for me

• Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From experience, majority of tissues related to WAM is due to client configuration. If affected, please try device recovery.
    Remove workplace account from (Setting > Accounts > Access work or school > Disconnect).
    Connect workplace account from (Setting > Accounts > Access work or school).
    or
    dsregcmd /leave
    reboot
    if aadjoined.

• Ajay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It worked for me with the registry key, but obviously this is not a good solution.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base