Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Highlighted Content Web Part -> allow Multiple Filters based on "And" rather than "Or"

Currently the Highlighted Content Web Part allows you to filter based on more than one Managed Properties. That's great, however, when you select more than one property it displays all documents tagged with EITHER property, rather than displaying only documents that are tagged with BOTH properties.
For example, I have a library with tags for: Department, and Document Type. I want to display these documents on a HCWB in my Communication Site. I only want to display Budget documents from the Finance department. But I can't do that, I can only display all documents tagged with Budget AND all documents tagged with Finance.
This is a really basic functionality that I really need. Please fix ASAP

760 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Sylvie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the same situation as the others. It is really important to be able to specify multiple filters based on AND rather than OR when needed.

• Ramon Torras commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How could it be that filter with AND with more than one managed property is not possible? Please, Could you MS answer saying when it will be available?

Why adding functionality incomplete that make it useless ? Build things @ 100% or don't.
    WTF!?

• Ingrid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I found a comparable uservoice on sharepoint.uservoice.com. https://sharepoint.uservoice.com/forums/329214-sites-and-collaboration/suggestions/35483821-highlighted-content-web-part-filter-operators with currently 4 votes.

Please vote for that to increase the number of voices!
    (Ideas will be reviewed monthly – so gather support! If an idea doesn’t have at least 100 votes after 90 days it will be closed.)

• Ingrid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've found a MS Support article that describes the functionality of the Highlight Content Web Part. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/use-the-highlighted-content-web-part-e34199b0-ff1a-47fb-8f4d-dbcaed329efd
    Therefore an AND join is supported but only for different filter types e.g. a filter by filename and a managed property is an AND join, a filter by filename A and filename B is an OR join.

The problem is, that managed property is handled as one type and therefore as OR join. But it should be updated to handle each managed property as one filter type.

This is really a big problem for us. It is not possible to create a useful content query with this bug and other compareably WebParts for dynamic content are not available in der modern view at the moment. Please fix this asap.

I have this same issues, but was hoping that I could do it through Search but that doesnt work either, I was just at the ESPC and they said they are working on more metadata things, but this was not on the high list at the moment

• Richard Laxton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current implementation essentially makes this control worthless for anything serious. The idea of ORing together all the filters of the same type would be barely acceptable if the logic actually took into account that for managed property filtering, sameness is defined by which managed property you are looking at!

I continue to be stunned at how little effort MS seem to be putting into SharePoint. While it does some stuff quite well, for unstructured information management, Atlassian Confluence is far superior, which makes it very difficult to try and align on a strong investment in the MS tools.

• Michael Lorentz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our KM group needs this desperately to migrate to SPO from the 2010 site we're replacing.
    We rely heavily on filtered feeds to deliver content and this is very much a roadblock.

• Richard Laxton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at the insane-world logic that this control uses, who would want to transparently OR together all of the filters of the same type, and AND different types? It is almost like the user story they implemented was incredibly specific.

I use a lot of metadata to make my site work, and this is just an absolute killer for me. I am trying to get my whole department to user SharePoint for their knowledge management, but this sort of thing just makes it so hard.

I don't understand it, the SharePoint team. Office has revenues in the billions of dollars, and yet the rollout of "modern" pages has involved years of drips. It almost feels like there are about 5 developers working on the project, and only in their spare time. I expect better from Microsoft.

• Elijah Lapson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure the level of complexity for adding this but it is a show stopper for our SharePoint Migration. Hard to believe this is not a top priority. As Sylvie mentioned can we at least get an update?

• Sylvie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still nothing on this?!
    COME ON GUYS.
    3 little words..."A N D"

Or at least give us a KQL input.
    Or maybe just an update...?

• Ehsan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to select between AND and OR operator is desirable.
    If not possible, please at least apply AND operator (instead of OR) for conditions in highlighted content web part ASAP. With current implementation, it is really useless. Thanks

• Gabrielle Ingram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with all comments. Not having this almost defeats the possibility of using metadata to surface relevant site pages in another page. From an information management perspective, it is quite limiting.

• Hannah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is severely limited what we're able to do with Hub sites and curating our content in a sensible way. Please add!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base