Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

ABILITY TO TURN OFF AUTOSAVE

Not everyone wants the AUTOSAVE option. Microsoft need to build in the ability to disable the autosave. I frequently use one document to create another and the autosave means that I cannot keep both versions without lots of back peddling into older versions, which I do not have the capacity to time manage

221 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

40 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature should not be enabled by default. I consider any software that changes settings on my computer without my knowledge or approval to be Malware. Why does Microsoft think this is acceptable practice?

• Gina Wilcox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extremely frustrated with this "option" of "autosave" on every single document. Please provide an option to turn it off upfront so that it is not causing us to lose our previous document once we have made a few changes and then selected "save a copy."

• Fernando Messeder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Asking users to modify a registry entry to disable autosave is ridiculous. And it will not work at all on mobile platforms. Office apps need to have a global setting to disable autosave plain and simple.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have spent an extra hour on documents that I use to make new documents (changing information and then save as). I've turned autosave off on the document that I was using and it still messes up the documents. Please allow the user to disable this feature.

• David Talbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per-file disabling is impractical for any volume of work. A master switch enabling or disabling autosave would be vastly preferable.

• Gaurav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time I open an old document, this autosave feature destroys the time stamp and makes it the current date. I am afraid to open old documents now! I need to know what time I made a document by the timestamp it carries.

• Rob Feltus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that you can just go into a file and toggle autosave on and off in the upper left hand corner of the window. What I don't understand is why it autosaves upon opening, thus making it seem like I modify a document every time I open it.

This feature is causing us lots of issues, can you please add the option to remove or disable autosave of sharepoint/onedrive storage locations?

• Ronda Riggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does Microsoft continuously force users to do things we don't want to do? For everything there should be an option to use it or not. Autosave is a horrible mess.

I definitely want the Autosave option removed entirely. It causes me so much downtime - going back to a file and realising that my file is not what I saved it as...""Save As"" is easy and time efficient now with Auto Save I am wasting so much time each day back peddling to fix files...If AutoSave isnt removed completely very shortly I will cancel my subscription.. And Save A Copy does not work either for Saving As....!! Please get rid of AutoSave!!!!

I very much dislike that there is no master turn-off autosave feature. Please provide one. Thank you.

• Wayne H Langley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a terrible idea this was. What was Microsoft thinking? I would expect that folks at Microsoft would also be users of the software, and realize how bad this is.

Please allow us, as users, to disable this hugely annoying new autosave feature. It has caused no end of problems

Some Microsoft nerd might have thought this is a good idea, but I hate auto safe! Please give us the option to permanently disable this function. We work with your product every day and it's a pain in the ...

Autosave is not a suitable function for us. Please give us the option to turn off globally.

• Tom Cotter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Autosave is not a good function for me and to retrieve the previous version is not easy. Please give us the option to globally turn off/on the autosave feature.

This feature should definitely be an "opt in" as it is useful in certain circumstances. However, having it on by default with NO WAY to disable its blanket across the Office Suite doesn't seem justifiable.

I have had to go back and manually restore previous version of files I last saved prior to the introduction of this feature to restore time stamps and the original status of a file that I edited prior to saving an updated version separately on numerous occasions. Very annoying, especially as I never asked for these files to be 'Autosaved' when I created them on a previous version of Office.

• Sam Piper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Autosave subverts the idea of local configuration management. I save files to maintain ideas and thoughts and autosave says well just go back. That would be great if I knew exactly where and when I needed to go - and oby the way I don't want to undo all the other work I've done. I just want to see two versions of the document. There needs to be a global toggle off - and let me turn it on when I want it.

Well I agree we should have a choice to disable, but I do see where MS is going with this and document collaboration. I think at minimum they should bring back "SAVE AS" with a check box to revert the original to the beginning of the edit.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base