Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Fix the sharepoint discussions template

It appears that the sharepoint Community Template (discussions template) does not work properly, or does not support references to multiple objects. I have a list of discussions, with a lookup to categories allowing multiple selections, and when I create a discussion and reference several categories, the discussion does not show as being associated with any of those categories when I look at the category view.

I have about a dozen categories, and a discussion Item might relate to about half of them, so when a person is perusing a category, they should see any item related to the topic (category). This is useful, in that it allows for a somewhat fuzzy approach on the part of a user when looking for a discussion topic. It allows them to browse the category that they think is most likely, even if it was not the category that the original poster expects people to look in. For example, a poster might determine a discussion should be in the "Human Resources" category, and a searcher might expect it to be in "Compliance." If it is in both, then the searcher will be more likely to be able to find it, but this isn't working. Obviously the user could do a text search, but what if they do not search by the specific words used in an original post? Their next step would be to browse for a related idea in a category, and they should be able to do that. I have been trying for days to get this to work, and no joy. We need to be able to organize information in ways that makes sense both for storage and retrieval, and in a way that is simple and effective, without having to create a huge search topology that requires exhaustive term maintenance. This would be a much simpler way to do it, and it seems to be a failure of design that it is not working, or a bug. I could really use some help sorting this out.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Thomas Hurford shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon