Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Fix Excel Online Print Paper Selection Defaulting to A4

When printing from Excel online (in either IE or Chrome) the paper type is defaulting to A4 instead of Letter.

224 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Rebecca shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to be the absolutely most asinine lack of a feature I have seen. Why not give the individual control of the default paper size. Most end users are completely clueless that there are different paper sizes and types. Why can't the system administrators have better control of this? Very infuriating.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great feature and eliminates the workaround of having to open with the desktop app

• Leon Carson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

every time i print, the paper size show up as 3x5 Index card. there needs to be a way to set default settings correctly.

• Thomas Hamberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We too are suffering with this default setting - there should be some way based on the geographical location to choose what the printer paper size is.

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I vote to that we all try our hardest to not print at all. Go Green!
        (letter, obvi)

• Shauna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Letter. Why default to a paper size that offices generally don't use? It's frustrating to have to click 7 times just to print a document. Let alone all of the other functionality issues it has.

• Robin Pare-Tomai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I very much agree with Rob Bradley or Neal, once a default is changed, Excel should save this change as it does everything else we do online, or there should be a way to change the default without having to go into the geolocation!

• Colin Rubbert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is currently set as A4 which, for controlled documents, becomes a real pain to support. I have constant emails saying that this or that document isn't printing properly. After multiple requests to this I started looking into it. Turns out that the default is A4. I don't know of a single organization in the US that uses A4 as a default.

Ways to fix:
        - Automatically set default based on Geolocation, making an assumption that if the client/company is in North America then the default printer paper settings should be Letter. If company is in Europe default to A4.

- Allow administrators to set default printer settings within the Admin Portal. We've got, mostly, full control of our organizations settings. There is no reason why IT administrators shouldn't be able to set the global default printer settings for an organization that they administer. As the IT Manager I know what the average printer will be in my organization; Letter. So it's not unreasonable for me to be able to set these things.

- Allow document creators to specify default paper size of the document. The onus shouldn't be on the creator of a document to set this but if this is the simplest fix then it's a good place to start. A global document store, group, or organization default would be ideal over this.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with other comments. Microsoft knows where we are. In company settings if I tell Micro... that I am in NA then defaults should be adjusted accordingly. Not that hard....

• Rob Bradley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't excel online use the what is set in the document? If I open and print in EXCEL, it is fine, if I open and print in Excel Online, none of the print settings set in the document properties are used and it defaults (foolishly) to A4 and Portrait.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we cant' even buy A4 paper. This is crazy. Please let us choose the default, or at least default to Letter

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base