Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Basic Shared Calendar - No mailbox or Contacts folder

Ability to create Shared Calendars (companywide) that require no end-user configuration (Outlook 2016, OWA, and mobile) AND only includes that, a Shared Calendar.

I can think of 4 different methods to create a companywide Shared Calendar: Shared Mailboxes, SharePoint, Exchange Public Folders, and Office 365 Groups. However, these methods have huge drawbacks which I will explain below based on Shared Calendars.

Shared Mailbox
Pros:
- Automatically added to Outlook 2016
- Shows up under Calendar tab as a separate calendar without user intervention.
Cons:
- Adds an extra mailbox and cannot be disabled.
- Adds an extra contacts folder and cannot be disabled.
- Must be added manually to OWA.
- Does not integrate with mobile devices (I tested this with Outlook for Android).

SharePoint
Pros:
- Only creates the calendar.
Cons:
- Managing is way too much work; add and remove users, create, etc.
- Requires user to go to SharePoint site to sync with Outlook 2016.
- Must be added manually to OWA.
- Does not integrate with mobile devices (I tested this with Outlook for Android).

Exchange Public Folder
Pros:
- Only creates the calendar.
- Once added as Favorite in Outlook 2016, it automatically gets added to OWA (I think, could be wrong).
Cons:
- Way too many steps to create the first calendar.
- User must add calendar as “Favorite” to make it useful.
- Favorites in Outlook are a nightmare.

Office 365 Groups – Not subscribed:
Note: Subscribed method is just non-sense. You cannot tell what appoint was created in your calendar or the groups’.
Pros:
- Has an APP to use in mobile devices.
- Automatically added to OWA.
- Ease to create and manage.
- The way it adds the shared mailbox is elegant (Subfolder within primary mailbox).
Cons:
- Requires a separate APP to see calendar which only has Agenda view…
- Adds an extra mailbox and cannot be disabled.
- User must add group as “Favorite” to see calendar.

The perfect Basic Shared Calendar:
1) Creates only a Shared Calendar (no mailbox, no contacts folder, etc.).
2) Ability to add members from Office 365 portal, Outlook 2016 and OWA (At least).
3) Shared Calendar is an independent calendar and DOES NOT overwrite member’s calendar.
4) Automatically gets added to members’ Outlook 2016, OWA, and Outlook for Android/iOS/Windows Phone.

The above would be great for Contacts.

629 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Jorge Raigoza shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • Jacques Jordaan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is this NOT implemented yet? Microsoft drops their full PBX system for teams but can't create a basic company wide shared calendar?!

Side note: Jorge Raigoza explained the pro's and Con's perfectly! Vote people vote!

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Crazy this hasn't been implemented yet. Every time someone needs a shared calendar we have to spend too much time figuring out what they're using it for, how does it need to be accessed, does it need to be published... etc etc.

• Stephen Coles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jorge Raigoza agree i didn't even know automapping existed i'm migrating from an exchange 2007 world and it does not exist

lets hope they add the -automapping to the gui and expand Add-MailboxPermission powershell command and the gui so we have -automappingCalendar, -automappingContact, -automappingContact optional options though this will involve the exchange, outlook and office 365 dev teams

and agree this should already be in place or well on the way to becoming reality

or the exchange dev team should add automapping to the powershell command Add-MailboxFolderPermission

• Jorge Raigoza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Stephen Coles, that is the issue. Too much labor required for something basic. If you disable the AutoMapping, then the end-user will ask how to add the calendar. Imaging handling this request from 800+ users.... Each user having 4 or 5 calendars.... Send the end-user instructions? Yes, sure, but we will still to deal at least with 30% of users that cannot follow instructions.

• Stephen Coles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

to add full access to a shared mailbox - without it automatically showing in outlook:
    Add-MailboxPermission powershell command with -AutoMapping $false option - this tells outlook not to autodiscover the mailbox - i then manually open the calendar

to add users access:
    right click calendar -> properties -> permissions (faster to add permissions and you can add a default permission)

be good to add AutoMapping option to the gui - it would also be good to choose what options are automapped i.e mail, contacts, calendar etc

• OutlookChallenged commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why does email and calendar have to be combined? Is there a way to have calendar in outlook/office 365 and email through some other mail viewer?

Cannot understand why software companies "force" or "combine features" and assume this is what users need. Why cannot you take user input and design suitable?

• Roxana Solis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jorge,
    I would like to create a shared calendar for my company , I need to set that all the calendar are shared by default without mail and only for view.
    If we have to make an appointment we want to see all the calendars without send and email.
    May I set up by default? Or what can I do? Can You help me? Trhank you!!!
    Roxana

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish this would get more votes, it's surprising that Exchange still lacks a good solution to this problem.

Feedback and Knowledge Base