Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Disable the new AutoSave by default, as it can lead to a loss of data

The new AutoSave can potentially lead to a loss of data. If you open any Word, PowerPoint, etc. doc, there is an "AutoSave" that is automatically on, on the upper left. If you're changing some stuff around and don't want to save, it still saves it. Or if you delete some things and then save as copy, your original is gone, because AutoSave was on. This is a horrible feature and should be disabled by default.

Version 1705 (Build 8117.1000 Click-to-Run)
Office Insider Fast

2,527 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Charlie Chen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

378 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gary Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IBM Mainframes used to have a much-hated source code editor ICCF (commonly called Icky-F) that worked the same way. Apparently Microsoft has decided to bring back one of the worst features of a crude early DOS mainframe implementation.

• Steve commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Autosave is fantastic so far... does in fact work with SP versioning enabled. It does require understanding of how it works, like open a doc and do a save as to a new doc if you are using it as a basis for a new doc, etc. funny how so many "power users" are trying to use it like a 1990's file share.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature has bitten me multiple times. Here's how you turn it off:
    Go to the File tab >
    Options>
    Save>
    Uncheck "AutoSave OneDrive and SharePoint Online files by default on Excel"

This is a horrific feature! My god, who in their right mind thought CONSTANTLY committing changes to a document - with NO VERSIONING to fall back on was a good idea? In my professional opinion, whoever green-lit this feature without regard for business data loss should be reprimanded!

• Eric Chang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've overwritten many documents when I was trying to use an original as the base for a new document. Autosave might be useful in some situations, but as a rule, it should be something optional NOT a default setting!

• euan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HOW DO YOU TURN THIS RUBBISH OFF! Why would you put this feature in, it's 2019 we know how to use the save button. You have caused me no end of a ball ache the last few weeks, ********* word!

• NZ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ugh! AutoSave may help some users, some of the time, but it looks like it has been nothing but a headache to a large majority of the power users. I thought it was a great feature until I started opening large files and Excel started locking up on me a few times a day.

Please do not automatically activate new features in future releases and updates. Tell us about them and let us decide if we want to turn them on.

• Circle of Care commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you must have the autosave feature, then ensure that a copy of the original document not lost completely, just in case one needs to go back to the original document.

• AG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever camp you're in, users should be able to set the default for this setting to suit however they want to work.

Personally, as a heavy Excel user I do not need or want workbooks saving until I want them saved - brief scenario analysis or changes that don't need to be saved are commonplace throughout the workday. This is especially true when multiple files are open - users need to be assured that actions they're accustomed to managing themselves aren't occurring unintentionally. The default setting here needs to be in the hands of the user.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recent updates removed the ability to open a microsoft file from one drive in finder and have the auto save function. The work around by only opening from within the program (like word excel etc) to have the auto save function work is a backward step.
    When opening multiple documents across different software (like word, excel and power point) the additional steps now involved is annoying at least but mostly leads to a loss of time which translate to increase time cost. Please fix this function - why microsoft takes one step forward then two backwards is an ongoing mystery. It seems like microsoft are trying to loose paying customers.

• Gary Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although the autosave feature has had its issues, in my opinion it works brilliantly for collaboration on excel sheets. For those that dont agree with the way that autosave works, I think there are 3 options for you. 1 - Train staff to save a copy of the document they are working on before they start to make changes. 2 - switch off collaboration in 365 sharepoint, and go back to using "check in, check out". 3 - spend some cash and get an on premise server, you wont have autosave issues on premise Windows.

Our organisation has lost more data due to Autosave than it would have lost due to our users forgetting to save a document. System Administrators need control over their business and this autosave policy removes control. Roll back this change or provide administrative control of the policies as our data is now being impacted.

I think I figured out how to turn autosave off. Open Word and go to >File >Options >Save and unclick "Autosave OneDrive and SharePoint files by default on Word". When I did that, my Autosave toggle in the command ribbon shows "off" and turned grey (I cannot click it to toggle it on). Then I removed it from the ribbon. Hope this works, and helps!

• David Eccles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop Trying to be Google Docs. You spent nearly 30 years training users to user Save As. Now you are undoing it in one release, without any major tweak to the UI interface.

• Marc Fletcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto save destroys the user's ability to try something in a file, save it if they like it, or discard it if they don't. Auto save makes the assumption that content creation is a linear process. It's not. Please keep auto save off by default.

• Michael Flynn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Horrible horrible idea - put the feature in by all means and then if I am working on a document and want it to auto-save I can turn it on - I despair of Microsoft sometimes it's as if you have been infiltrated by a bunch of open office folks who are intent and destroying you - you were once so good - sad to see

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base