Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Disable the new AutoSave by default, as it can lead to a loss of data

The new AutoSave can potentially lead to a loss of data. If you open any Word, PowerPoint, etc. doc, there is an "AutoSave" that is automatically on, on the upper left. If you're changing some stuff around and don't want to save, it still saves it. Or if you delete some things and then save as copy, your original is gone, because AutoSave was on. This is a horrible feature and should be disabled by default.

Version 1705 (Build 8117.1000 Click-to-Run)
Office Insider Fast

2,117 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Charlie Chen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

334 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only should Autosave be disabled. It should be removed entirely. It has to be the worst feature in the history of Office.

It's a nice notion to say users should change their behaviour. When has human behaviour changed en masse? The more practical solution is for the program to respond to the user's needs, NOT the other way around.

Can someone tell me how to permanently disable Autosave?

• Jörg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I understand the potential problems with AutoSave, I think the advantages outweigh them. Most problems can also be avoided by users if they change their behaviour.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature has lead to the loss of data for multiple projects. Especially since the versioning history has been having issues. THIS SHOULD BE DISABLED BY DEFAULT. It can be good in limited instances, but should not be automatically enabled

• Jeff Handley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has bitten me AGAIN! Every time there are updates to Office, my settings are lost and auto-save COMES BACK ON in each office app. Please at least respect my preferences during updates. This has led to data loss for me multiple times. STAAAAHHHHPPPPP!!!

I agree, totally pointless and awful idea to create this feature, it does not work in a business environment, please get rid of it.

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not think it necessary since you have a history of versions and you can recover!
        Imagine closing the page and not saving the changes.

• Carole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the Autosave is switched on and you want to recover the previous version just click on the activity button on the right and recover the previous version.

This causes concern when someone who just read a document accidentally saves it. This is done automatically at opening the document if you have anything active in the document, e.g. a data-connection. What change did this person make and why? This is not compatible at all with publishing mechanisms in SharePoint or regulatory traceability requirements.

This has totally destroyed two of my docs now. I have to remember to immediately turn AutoSave off whenever I open a document. The other thing is that their suggestion to recover the previous version has never worked for me, didn't work today, and so on. This is terrible.

ALERT: You can change the default to turn this off, thank God. Go into Word/Excel/Powerpoint Preferences to "Save" options. Then uncheck the autosave box. It may be necessary to do this in each separate Office application.

(I don't know if this was possible when they first did the update, but it's there now. I echo everyone else's frustration at lost or overwritten work. ARGH!! Whoever thought this would be a good new feature to spring on people is probably young and inexperienced at managing/reusing documents. And to respond to the person who thinks we just don't like change, these are work practices that someone doesn't just change overnight - these are activities many of us have done for years without even thinking about it while working under deadline at the speed of light. So no, we are not going to be happy about what may seem to you to be an insignificant change but for us is not.)

• John Ehrenreich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is destroying our shared filing system. Please either undo it or create an option to turn it off and keep autosave.

• Rob Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm, although I'm probably fighting against the tide but the reason this one IMO is causing so much angst is that it's a change to the way one us used to working. Overall, autosave is better. New Google suite users don't seem to complain about it. Also, this uservoice by it's very nature will be commented by people who have a problem with the feature. How many billions are okay with it?

This stupid feature is still alive???
        The devs at Microsoft never read Office documents?
        And they are happy to have the timestamp of the document changed just because they filtered some data?
        Seriously, this must be a joke.

• Bernadette commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree! I always build new docs based on existing ones. For instance a Board Meeting Agenda. I open the previous month, make the changes and then do a save as. Except with AutoSave, it's changed the original, so I 'm left with the choice of redoing everything I just did or losing the previous month's agenda. It's really a nuisance and so not needed!

• Dana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hate it - please disable or offer option to turn off. This is causing me so much more work as files are being saved and corrupting the original

Autosave would have worked just fine if the document does not open in Editing mode immediately...

I would suggest a pop-up once any changes are applied to a document after it's been opened to confirm with the user if they intend to change the document, or only marking up with no intent of saving.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base