I suggest you ...

The SharePoint Term Store should be a standalone office application for enterprise taxonomy and vocabulary management

Taxonomy and corporate vocabularies have utility in a wide variety of enterprise application. The SharePoint Term Store is the best place in the Microsoft stack to manage hierarchical vocabularies but it is hidden in SharePoint and development has not progressed. Splitting out the Term Store into a standalone office application would give Microsoft customers a centralized place to manage taxonomies and vocabularies that could be used across a wide variety of applications. This would be a significant boost to corporate information governance.

As just one example, the Azure Data Catalog released last year includes a business glossary feature that duplicates some of the capabilities of the Term Store. If the Term Store were a standalone application, Azure Data Catalog could have simply used the Term Store capabilities for its Business Glossary feature.

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark LeherMark Leher shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...