Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Add support for RFC 5233 subaddressing (myemail+anything@example.org)

Please add RFC 5233 sub-addressing to O365. Gmail has had this feature for ages.

774 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Brad shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • RYAN BOBB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely something that should have been buttoned up already. Please add this feature to 365.

• Wesley Kirkland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I don't personally use this, we have many GSuite tenants that we will be migrating and they hate that O365 doesn't support this.

Our solution is scanning Gmail for Sieve addresses daily and logging them, and then we will either add them as O365 proxy addresses. Or use Mimecast to turn on sieve subaddressing for those domains and instruct the users we rewrite the email before it hits O365. This make it work but the user loses the sieve address that the originally used.

• Jesse Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Jason Hoos - that's exactly what we need it for; QA testing. Seems pretty incredible to me that O365 wouldn't have this feature.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thinking about going back to GSuite because of this. COMPLETELY ridiculous that paying users don't have this and free users do.

• Paul Chapman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it totally ironic that Outlook.com free email service supports RFC 5233 sub addressing, but not the paid Office365. Go figure.

Not having support for this is turning out to be a real pain for folks "upgrading" from G Suite to O365. Not only is RFC 5233 not supported in O365, but addition of aliases with "+" signs in them is also not supported, so using aliases as a workaround is even out!! #fail

• Jason Hoos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have system needs that require our QA department to be able to generate unique email addresses on the fly, and they are all using personal Gmail accounts to do this via RFC5233 because we can't do it in O365. We're actually at the point of putting a Postfix instance on an alternate domain to do address rewriting to get our users to stop using Gmail to do this.

Please support this in O365 natively so we can stop with the ugly workarounds!

really.... this is an old requirement for many! Cant switch to 365 until you support basic features of email!

• Briauna Gardner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great topic and I think it should be widely considered. But check out the newest idea and see what you think!

• Chris Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I am ever going to stop having to hear my co-workers talk about how GMAIL is Better than O365, then MSFT needs to get with the program!!

• JIB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still cannot believe Office 365 doesn't support RFC 5233 subaddressing. Outlook.com does it well. As does Gmail. This is a pretty widely used feature, so please make it happen Microsoft!

• Andy Appel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most of my coworkers are still using their personnel gmail accounts because of this feature.

• John Kalbach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature originally came back in 2001 in RFC 2822. Please add this as other major email vendors have been supporting this for years. One example is gmail.

• Kevin King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider getting this feature working. The lack of this feature prevents me from bringing some clients to office 365.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base