Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow tracked changes to show in Word Online

I'm a teacher and we use Office365 at our school. I use the desktop version of Word a lot but my students prefer the online version. When I comment their writing I can't use "track changes" because they won't show in Word Online... Only comments show. Why? Please allow Track Changes to show online!

651 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Lars shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
An error occurred while saving the comment
  • David Pairman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having track changes defeats the purpose of a collaboration space. Office 365 is therefore not fit for purpose without it!

• Rivka Vaughs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work for a large healthcare organization in a community of policy writers. We maintain upwards of 50,000 policy documents. The track changes feature of Word is an important tool to enable efficient drafting and review of policy documents. The absence of this functionality is a barrier to adopting the Word online application. I hope that Microsoft can resolve this deficiency as soon as possible.

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As companies and the software solutions that they rely upon move towards Office Online, I'm surprised to see this large gap with a Microsoft product. Tracking changes is a basic requirement for our company's 300k users and it has been for many years. I hope that Microsoft still allows customer feedback to influence their design and fixes this soon.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm at a large government agency and our users make extensive use of track-changes. They have been very frustrated that they are unable to see track-changes in the web portal apps. It diminishes the 'any device anywhere access' benefit if such a significant features is so limited.

• Kobus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please also allow us to turn track changes off in Word online. When a file is uploaded to Word online with Track Changes on, there is no way to turn it off in Word online. The file has to be reopened in Word offline, then Track Changes has to be turned off, and then it must be re-uploaded to Word online. This is frustrating.

• Carol Thomas-Knipes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if you are sharing with people with their own O365 environment, sometimes the only view they can have is online. this should have been a feature long ago

• GRS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having this feature is really impeding our editorial staff's workflow.

Agree with all comments below, the use of track changes online would be very valuable!!

The lack of Track Changes for online users is very confusing, it's preventing take-up and it means our staff who do use it a have a poor first impression, which is very diffult to recover from.

• James Higgs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with others here. Not being able to track changes is a deal-breaker online with groups of people working on the same document. Unforunatley until this feature comes online we are forcued to send documents back and forth on email!

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add full track changes features to Word Online. This is extremely confusing for our users. We are rolling-out Teams, users are happy to sync Teams file folders, they use Word desktop to edit and track changes. Then, they open the file in Teams... or Word Online - nothing there! Users have no idea if their changes are actually being synced. Major issue for our company.

• Suzanne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use the online version of documents to collaborate with people outside our organization, who therefore do not have the ability to open them in the desktop client. Not being able to view tracked changes defeats the purpose of collaborating on content.

• Steve Shoemaker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having the ability to Track Changes in Word online is really hampering our rollout of Microsoft Teams. We are trying to get everyone in the organization to use Teams as their main source of collaboration but if they can't work on documents together online, and see who made changes, they are forced to use other true collaboration tools. This will make adoption of Teams nearly impossible. Staff won't add another tool (Teams) if they still have to rely on old ways of doing things. This really needs to be fixed. Soon.

We desperately need the track changes feature in Word online. Come on Microsoft.. we might as well be using chisels and stone tablets..

• Tom Urwin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have many users complaining about the lack of this functionality (when it is available in Google Docs). Please enable Track Changes in Office Online asap.

PLEASE add Track changes to Word online! Not having Track Changes defeats the purpose of Word Online in my opinion. I like to use Word Online collaborate with others without the need to download documents to my machine. (Downloading creates extra clutter and also the email attachment uses up space in my inbox.) If we have to download the document to see each other's changes, this defeats the purpose of using it.

• Donna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please add Track Changes to Word online! The Teams function is amazing, but is ham-stringed by inability to actually see who edited what!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base