Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow Skype For business MAC to add external contacts

Let people use Skype for Business to communicate with Skype users outside your organization. But, know that your Mac users won't be able to search Skype.

https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Allow-users-to-contact-external-Skype-for-Business-users-b414873a-0059-4cd5-aea1-e5d0857dbc94

I have customers who are 100% MAC users signing up for skype for business subscription just so that they can add their contacts from external organizations.

can you give us an update when this will be available?

670 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mario P. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After several hours on the phone with Microsoft support over 3 weeks (still very kind), multiple screen sharing, changed DNS, multiples contacts with web hosting provider, changed email for personal skype, changed password, changed dozen of settings, waited each time 24 hours for propagation, about to upgrade to a more expensive option...

And then it comes as simple as that : this features is not available for Mac.

Is anyone in charge ???

This is a huge problem for us as we have 16 users working with 40 devices running under MacOS / iOS.

Work around proposed by Microsoft:
        Installing a virtual machine with Windows to add external Skype users.
        16 Users, 16 Virtual machines, 16 Licences Microsoft.
        Total = Microsoft will soon be more expensive then Apple

• georgiop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi
        please do something about it we wanted to take a plan for external call meeting but now we will think about it as half users here are Macs
        Thanks in advance

Please add this functionality ASAP Microsoft!

We have over 100 users half are Mac's. None of our users will be migrated to Skype for business until the Mac app is fully functional.

Please make S4B for Mac work like windows version. I cannot call outside client from my pstn account when in a conference with others. Frustrating. Looking for new service for entire company due to the lost of functionality for .

Please make S4B for Mac work like windows version. I cannot call outside client from my pstn account when in a conference with others. Frustratin. Looking for new service for entire company.

Lync for Mac seemed more stable and complete that the (advancements claimed for) Skype for Business for Mac. Truly disappointed that this platform is so off the mark with respect to simple expectations - please devote the time required to stabilize this client feature-set please. As it stands, Citrix GoToMeeting keeps our $$ as they have not broken their offering. I look forward to Skype working as expected and designed. Paul

• Julian Bates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't work on IOS either. Astonishing that this is not clearly stated. I wasted quite a bit of time with Microsoft support before someone spotted that it wasn't supported.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this functionality ASAP Microsoft!

We have over 100 users half are Mac's. None of our users will be migrated to Skype for business until the Mac app is fully functional.

• Mike Hiil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following Keith Hurley's comment, I tried adding my Skype address as a contact in Skype for Business on Windows. And yes, indeed, it shows up in Skype for Business on Mac. Thanks Keith.

But bizarrely, I can't send an IM from SfB for Windows - it fails to be delivered and shows up as a missed conversation. Calling also fails. However, sending IM (and calling) from SfB for Mac works perfectly!

So it seems you need both SfB for Windows - to manage your contacts - and SfB for Mac to actually use to IM/call Skype contacts.

• Scott Abbotts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mac users can join a Teams Meeting. Teams will eventually replace SfB. But now the onus is on non-O365 users, not necessarily Mac guest users. So no Gmail or even Outlook.com users.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/add-guests

"Only users who have an email address corresponding to an Azure Active Directory or Office 365 work or school account can be added as a guest user."

Correcting myself here.. "Only Office 365 work or school accounts can be added as guests." in Teams. So you can't add someone with a Gmail account or even an Outlook.com account.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that since MS is going to drop SfB with Teams in its place, MS has provided the option to enable Guest access in Teams, and then do a meeting from there.

• Angjus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is particularly annoying is the constant series of upgrades to SfB that I am forced wearily to accept to an app I cannot use. Moreover I have t pay Microsoft for its apps and buy Zoom services to host conference calls. Some real clarity on the MS implementation plan would be helpful and how many more years we will lag.

• Luis M. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please make Skype for Business, when used in MacOS, provide at least the same functionality as (free) Skype. Using regular Skype, or other products like Zoom, is an illogical (and silly) work around.

• Luke Blindell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another example of Micro$oft treating the Mac platform as second best. There are so many features in the PC version of Office 365 in general that aren't available in the Mac version it's just a joke. They can easily be implemented, I honestly believe they do it to make the Mac platform look bad so they can (try) to convert the world to Windoze! Judging by the lack of response on all the forums I've read/posted on in relation to this, they simply do no care and have no intention of treating the Mac platform and it's users as equals!

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Using Skype for Business, I have just discovered that you can't skype non SfB users. Ridiculous. Many of my contacts are not SfB users. Back to the consumer version and ditching SfB! This has quite an impact too on the notion of moving away from our PBX system onto VOIP using Skype - No way!

• Nikki Warren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think Skype for Business should try to copy Zoom - easy to use, no connection issues and excellent clarity.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base