Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Option to save Office files to local drive first, then sync to Sharepoint / OneDrive

Currently, the default "Save" syncs the file to Sharepoint / OneDrive, then syncs from the cloud back to the local drive. This is a bad sequence, as, if there is a problem uploading and the file cannot be synced, the file is then completely lost. This feature can be manually overridden by going to "File," "Save As," and selecting "This PC," but must be done every time. Besides risking loss of data, by syncing to Sharepoint/OneDrive first, it locks up the file from being able to be used. If the file were simply saved locally first (which is fast), the document could be released for editing while the local file syncs to the cloud, which is exactly how Dropbox works.

Please consider this as part of the "Options" for the sequence for saving files, i.e., "Save to local drive first, then sync to cloud," or "Save to cloud first, then sync to local drive."

Thanks for listening. I'm working on a critical document and cannot afford for versions to be lost because of a bad cloud sync.

210 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Martin B shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was running into this issue and lost notes I took during a meeting. I believe Andrew's response below has solved it (although I now need to manually save rather than count on the "Auto Save" feature). It's a shame it's so hidden and feels like a work around...

• Lorraine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support and agree! And as it takes forever to sync back to my computer, I end up saving 100's of copies, because I cannot find the document in my library/pc!

• Frank B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks Martin for this post.
    That's exactly the problem of today's realization and saving order in Sharepoint/OneDrive.
    When opening a Sharepoint-synced file locally from the PC, incl. from the local OneDrive folder and then saving it again, the system doesn't save it to the originial local location and thereafter syncing it with Sharepoint in the background.
    Instead, the system changes the file location path to sharepoint and first wants to save the file in Sharepoint and then afterwards syncing it to the local folder on the PC.
    This is slow and very risky and from my point of view even unlogic.

The principle of any open/save transaction from my point of view should be, that the system in first order tries to save the file on the location where it was opened from, selecting this file location and path automatically for saving first. This principle should also be applied for any local file, that is set to be synced with Sharepoint.

At least the user should have the possibility to determine the saving priority and sequence in the settings. Thank you very much for considering this in your next update.

I just got a new computer, twice as fast as my old one, and Office is now half as fast as what I had -- because I decided to use OneDrive. I guess I'm getting rid of OneDrive (not seeing the Office devs doing anything about this anytime soon)...

• Jean-Yves Duriaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Useless to work with word, excel or ppt if you don´t have an incredible connection. Everywhere I go except university I have troubles and I have lost so much time fighting with crashes and useless waiting beacause of this issue. I need to constantly be going back and forth between csv and xls (every few minutes) and now has become a torture.

Fix this quick. Save into my computer and then back up in the background. Don´t waste my time.

• Jorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I i is frustrating to do all this. A monopoly will always be a monopoly and that is the caso of MS Offce, I have spent the whole day looking for my stuff both in the hard drive and in One Drive, MS is forcing you to relay on them, it is strange that in a country that is supposed to be the king of competting we are being manipulated to use the product. I am fed up also with the constant explores proposition as my web browser I DO NOT WANT IT cant you undersantd it? I am trapped by a monopoly

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more. Come on guys, we're only asking for an option. Don't assume everybody has Ultra-fast broadband or, indeed, that they want a period where their files *only* exist in the cloud. Save locally first, then sync.

• Andrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Depending on whether you need 'real-time' collaboration, you have an option to disable this 'feature' from within the OneDrive client. If you launch 'OneDrive' app, then Settings, and go into the 'Office' Tab, and remove the checkmark for 'Use Office 2016 to sync Office files that I open', your system will default to saving the file locally. Once saved, OneDrive sync will upload to the server.

• Stefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After getting fed up of OneDrive resyncing a 50MB (that's ever getting larger) Excel file - which I regularly work on - from scratch every time I saved, often causing me a delay of many dozens of minutes during my slow home internet connection before I could shut down, and making it difficult to work at cafes or use hotspot, I decided on the following workaround. On Windows Explorer, you can access a local only folder if you go to view > navigation panes > libraries. Under libraries there is a Documents folder, under which there are two Documents folders: your regular auto-sync-to-OneDrive folder, and another hidden one, which does no syncing. I now save the file to this local folder by default, and will copy the file to my OneDrive folder as my back up when I have the time, or when I'm at a superfast internet place like the library. The problem before was when I shut my computer down before syncing finished, I'd end up with a mess of recovered files, risk of lost data, duplication, having to rename and delete duplicates and all that rubbish. Moreover, syncing on a slow connection made the internet unusable for any other activity including basic web browsing (i.e. demolished download speeds), which is also unfair on anyone else using the network at home. So now, for large files at least, I basically use OneDrive as a soft external hardrive, backing up regularly, rather than constantly. It's not too much of a hassle to copy the file over, although I make sure to rename it to avoid confusion.

• Olle B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed - this is a terrible design choice for customers with poor connections...incredibly frustrating to have to wait for a file to upload. Please offer the save-local-first-by-default option

• atef abu sharia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very bad really
    I am suffering because of this.
    I recommend to not buy this product as long as this bad feature exists

I just spent a day moving from Google Drive to One Drive but this is not good. Should not look to cloud first (unless you want it to)

• Jose Monroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

excellent idea, saving process is very slow now, all time user complains about how slow is.. definitely you must fix it out

• Ashley Hammond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was typing this out until i found this. I live in South Africa and the networks make this impossible. Please assist with this. I think it should work like dropbox

• Richard Russell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree, This is most effivent on network traffic, and provides the best user experience. the currnet design was set by someone who works in a office. try using this on a train..... it's a nightmare

• Ruurd Offringa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely with this - Office 365 and Onedrive is very frustrating to work with if you don't have a very fast internet connection as you can't save a document and close Office - you need to wait for OneDrive. You can't quickly do a "save as" - you need to wait while OneDrive does it's thing - this is extremely frustrating.

We should not be waiting for OneDrive to do it's thing. Office should prioritise what the user want to do first, and let OneDrive sync in the background without making the user wait.

Feedback and Knowledge Base