Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Group By Content Type in SHarePoint Lists and Libraries

With the Old Look and Feel you could make a little tweak with SP Designer and get a list or library to group by content type:

http://www.technicaloverload.com/sharepoint-2010-2013-group-content-type/

Now when I look at the same view in the New Library look and Feel it It groups by the GUID of the Content Type, not the text.

236 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Marcel Meth shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Noor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a very needed feature, in addition Content Type and DocSets are getting the minimum love from Microsoft while its advertised as the future of folderless plateform!

• Robert Sawyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have added three votes to this request. It seems very strange that grouping by content type is not available within the UI view configurator.

What makes this even more strange is that you can modify the view via SharePoint designer and group by content type! You can also then group to another level as well. I have configured and have this running in a modern document library.

Come on Microsoft, content types are critical to SharePoint and in particular document libraries. If you want to promote the use of this functionality then please add this capability.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The entire point of content management is organizing around content types... the fact we're 2 + years into this request, and there is no way to group by content type is mind boggling. But yet, sway is getting new features. ;)

• JD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need to be able to filter by Content Type also, like we used to be able to do in SP 2007. Stop taking away features!

• Greg Hodgins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eric, that looks promising. Manually adding it works. Now I just have to research how to add a query string variable before saving the view. :-) Seriously thanks. This is closer to a real solution than the hack mentioned above we had to do in classic. There certainly are some seemingly basic features like this that are hard to believe they are still out there without resolution after YEARS - and modern isn't fixing them. In some cases like columns widths it gets worse.

• Qiniso commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Morning

Any feedback with the above issue.. we are also having an issue but with SP Online.
    SP2013 works fine.

Feedback and Knowledge Base