Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

rename One Drive and sharepoint URL

Currently when we share files through One Drive and SharePoint, a file URL forms automatically, and we cannot rename the URL.

I suggest that URL forms based on our custom domain instead initial domain, so it looks much more professional to those who we wish to share the files to.

245 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Melody shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

25 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Olivier Busnel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft should create a service for changing the name used for those sharepoint and onedrive URL.
    Our organization has a new name, and there is no way to change this name : this is not acceptable from a high quality service company like Microsoft.

Olivier.

• Jon Scarpa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huge problem, please allow us to change our tenant name or SharePoint URL mapping. Not sure why we can't create a CNAME of our choice in our public DNS and point this at Microsoft SharePoint service, there are plenty of paid and free services that allow this. Please fix this Microsoft.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it shocking that Microsoft dont give you the ability to change URL its just mapping in the end of the day. I paid my subscription upfront and now i need to get a new one, shocking Mr Gates....

How many votes does it take for Microsoft to fix this? We just migrated from G-Suite and the domain for SharePoint is not the default domain it's supposed to be. We don't have any data on SharePoint at all, we/they should be able to change the URL right away, yet they say we have to purchase a new service and migrate the data over again???? I'm SO MAD right now.

• Pyae Phyo Maung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not allow to change the initial domain name and suggest to change tenant. But tenant to tenant to migration also need to use third party tools. what kind of solution is that! Ridiculous!!

The inability to change the domain name is causing legal problems for us and changing to a new tenant to resolve such a simple issue is ridiculous

• Mathias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge problem for our Company. To Change tenant is no Option with 200 + users...

I agree with others. We have changed our business name and would like the domain on our sharepoint to be consistent with our revised business name. I am informed this is not currently possible. Surely this is an issue that will need to be addressed.

• Steve Youngquist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge issue. We created a tenant, and now need to update with one of our custom domains to more accurately reflect how we are using the service and not confuse staff who won't recognize our original tenant name. With 500+ users utilizing Exchange and other services, there is no way we are migrating everything over to a new tenant!

• Ian Caldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 this is an essential feature - we don't even need to change the name, just remove the custom part of the URL. Microsoft solution of moving ALL data to new tenant seems like a bad joke. Feels like a lose-lose situation to tell management we are either stuck with our old company name (um, no!) or massive time cost to move tenants. This sharepoint and onedrive hard-coded URL needs to be fixed ASAP.

• Peter Krajewski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have the same problem. Our company went through name change right after migrating to O365. Doing it all again just to achieve the right URL at an awfully high price and time …. Just not possible. This really needs to be addressed and should we a high priority issue. Thank you!

• David Wallach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, we also went though agency name change recently, unfortunately right after migrating to O365. So to endure another migration (all content from SharePoint, OneDrive and Email!) just to achieve a more appropriate URL seems to be an awfully high price to pay for this truly common occurrence. This really needs to be addressed. Thank you!

+1 Alexis JALLEY - ACTEAM-IT (previously IMANAGERIUM).
    Please add this change request to your roadmap.

• Lionel Ens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many companies that go through a re-branding, merging, renaming process. It would be very nice to be able to change the organization name throughout all of the office365 infrastructure.

This would be very useful. I was unaware that I had to rely on the default URL when I first signed up, or I would have thought more about it.

Please add this feature as soon as possible. It will help for all the organizations going through Business merging and renaming of their companies

• Damion Franklin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The admin who setup the Offcie 365 account for Creditinfo Jamaica, registered it with the domain rmorriscreditinfojamaica. Now this appears in all our shared one drive links. We need this to be changed to creditinfojamaica. We want to see this change as soon as possible.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base