Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow more than 500 Folders in a shared cached Mailbox

As of now, Outlook can not synch / cache Mailboxes that are shared to an other Outlook User, if the Mailbox has more than 500 Folders. This Limitation should be increased.
In my case the Mailbox of the CEO has more than 500 Subfolders, because he Files a lot in his structure, like CEO's of Financial Companies used to do. He has to assistants and since we migrated all Mailboxes to Office 365, the Assistants can not access his Mailbox in Cached Mode. This is important for the Assistants!
It is described here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115602
But it worked before on an Exchange 2010 Server, so why should a CEO accept this limitation when moving from an old Exchange 2010 Server to a new Office 365 Exchange Online Server?

298 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Alex Strupler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • GR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are on 1905, how can we get the update to 1906 with the new feature?

• Ryan W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great work, thanks @pmckay. Can you confirm what the new limit is though?

Any advice on if Shared Mailboxes should still be added as additional accounts now the objtFolder limit has been fixed?

• Dew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would say that O365 is a messaging tool and not a filing cabinet. Maybe there is a way to find a different solution?

• WCarp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really would like Microsoft to allow us to have more folders without a performance hit! I would also like to be able to vote on this but I have run out of votes!

• Jerry Bai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we also got similar issue, hope this feature update can be released as soon as possible

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Update from Microsoft now states that this is being rolled out and will be released in Q32019:

Outlook for Windows: Lift 500 folder limit for shared mailboxes

Outlook has improved synchronization of folders by removing the 500 folder limit for shared mailboxes.

Featured ID: 27807
    Added to Roadmap: 5/24/2018
    Last Modified: 2/27/2019
    Tags: Windows Desktop
    Rolling out
    Windows Desktop
    Q3 CY2019

• G-L commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

any news about this? Will it ever become IN THE PLANS?

• ThisIsntDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just went to O365 in October, and just figured out one of the users issues is in regards to this... Did the promised October CY2018 update resolve the issue? What was that? (KB or something)

• Tarun D. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Per Office 365 Roadmap:

Outlook for Windows: Lift 500 folder limit for shared mailboxes
    Outlook has improved synchronization of folders by removing the 500 folder limit for shared mailboxes.
    Estimated Release: October CY2018
    Feature ID: 27807
    Added to Roadmap: 05/24/2018
    Last modified : 09/19/2018

• David Hooker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is so insidious about this problem is that it comes quietly - no error, no visible warning to the end-user -- and then, BAM! This is a bit like providing a database and then, after a certain number of records, your data is not accessible anymore with a simple query.

Like persons posting above, I have end-users who have this problem. It seems misguided to provide a capability that is so easily misused. There was a term that was spread about a while back: "Secure out of the box". How about "works out of the box"??

It really should work.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

per-profile limit of 500 is so small. More than 10% of our user-base has greater than 500 folders on their individual mailboxes. Our most critical shared mailboxes exceed 500 folders.

For large organizations where email filing is extensive, this cached mode folder limit is too low for management. Please increase the current limit to cater for these customers as email management from the Outlook Client is more desirable compared to using the Outlook Web App.

• DanHu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just run into a similar situation with two customers. 500 is a strange limit.

One customer's CEO has a mailbox with over 15'000 folders. His assistant has the task to act on certain folders but cannot use shared mailbox due to the 500 folder limit.
    We needed to add the CEO's mailbox as a secondary mailbox to the assistan's Outlook. And now the assistant became a "shadow" member of the board, as the CEO is using O365 groups for board meetings.
    This is not acceptable!

• Andre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,
    we had the same Problem and lost about 30 important emails duo to miss synchronisation between public mail accounts and OWA. OWA was not able to act in time so synchronise between to local OST files.
    More Over: There was no WARNING "Hey you have more than 500 Folders - STOP Creating Folders"

So we needed two day with microsoftsupport Office 365 Ticket #30126-6846789 to create local recovery files, unable Caching, and reintegrade offline recovery files in the OWA account.

There must be an WARNING, when users have more than 500 Folders!!!!

Same here. Users cannot work with disabled Cache and mutliple shared or foreign Mailboxes mapped to Outlook it is a pain to work because of the delay. But they cannot enable Cache because of the 500 Folder issue.

This put a major delay on our project (6 months). I also feel that there should be some sort of user warning when approaching 500 if 500 cannot be increased. We see that once you hit 501 messages stop flowing to Outlook.

• Tate M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Outlook to be reprogrammed to recycle/reuse the connections instead of just stopping at 500, or the setting should be adjustable in Office 365 like it is in on premise Exchange. We consider the limit very low considering we are in the year 2017!

• Werner Huetwohl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frankly, with today's technology being where it is, I don't see why there should be a limit on folder count, or message count for that matter. Aside from the max number of folders in a root directory, there are no "known" folder limits in NTFS. There is a maximum file size of 256TB, but that's more of an implementation restriction than an actual.

I recommend re-examining the storage schema for Outlook. I believe it to be quite antiquated, like the server system drive backup having a 2GB maximum size limitation, because of a database limitation (apologies for the rant).

• Ryan W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would also like to see this limit increased to 2000+ please.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base