Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Allow users to edit their personal info

Under Office 365 settings > Personal info, only admins can change their own details.

I understand this is restricted to prevent abuse. However, organizations should be given the freedom to choose whether or not to lift this restriction. I suggest an additional option/rule under Exchange's user roles.

Please also add the field "Title" to the Personal info section if it's not the currently displayed "Occupation".

602 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Bart Stevens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Ken W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very Necessary! I only have 20 users to support however even at that size it is cumbersome to contact every user and get updated information.

• Scott Fowle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is necessary! We don't have time for an IT Admin to update everyone's phone numbers and addresses. It would be great if an employee could update their own card information and that syncs with the AD.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been told to correct any information, ie phone numbers and emergency contacts etc. to my profile. The problem is that they have not given me that option. Would be nice if someone knew what or who is to do this.............

• MsoftPartnerSupport commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Soulution is PS command:
    Set-MsolUser -UserPrincipalName *** Email address is removed for privacy *** -AlternateEmailaddresses *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

• Dale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the user has a mailbox, they can go to OWA, click on the gear icon, go to MAIL settings>General>My Account.
    There, they can edit their Address, all phone / fax numbers, display name [i.e. Joe Mama - Accounting Manager] All this without any extra permissions.

• Michael Mount commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an Admin with just 30 staff, I do not have the time to edit their personal information. We need to have the user do this.

• Sven Olsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe it should be optional and up the organization to allow or not. For the ideal situation would be to disable the AD sync of the fields for office telephone, mobile telephone, fax, home phone etc. After these field are disabled, the individual users should be able to update these field over web outlook.

• anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't you people get it, the more they have to involve admins the more their 'partners' earn in supporting the product.

I completely agree, MS needs to give us this setting, we have a couple hundred people on 365 and they need to be able to update this themselves, instead of an admin needing to do it.

• DC Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is extremely aggravating, Microsoft!! We have hundreds of users who need to be able to edit their Titles and phone numbers. Why would you take this functionality away?

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With exchange on prem, users can edit their information. However, we've lost this ability after moving to exchange online. Now every time something like a phone number changes, an admin has to be involved instead of allowing the user to self service the change. Seems silly when we're at the point we can delegate users permissions to stand up their own Server VMs without ever contacting an admin... but NO changing a phone number for you!

• John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also be good if the edit function is on a more accessible location, i.e. my account/Personal info.

• Steve Selby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with this post. @microsoft please giv administrators the right to allow users to modify their own profile asap, especially things like title. Thanks !

Unbelievable. I just wasted 2 hours of my day only to learn even though my settings say users can change their address and contact information, they actually can't. Is this for real?

• Branimir Filinic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand why this is not available yet!
    I need to edit this info for every user in my organization myself, instead of being able to choose which settings the users can edit themselves.
    I'm sure there are thousands more administrators with these issues that haven't bothered to leave a comment here. I almost didn't myself.
    Is anyone in MS hearing our pleas?

Thank you.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base