Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Change the way of Initials

The initials show automatically based on the Display name. for example if my name is John Smith, my initials will be JS.

If My display name is Smith, John (which is my last name, first name) my Initials shows as SJ

The Initials are usually First character of the first name and the first character of the last name. regardless of my display name, my initials should be the same

So I suggest to have the Initials created based on the "First Name" and "Last Name" fields not on the "Display Name" field

275 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Michael shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • George Elleridge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pull initials from First Name then Last Name. Disregard the display name. Our organization consists of men belonging to a religious order. They all have ", SJ" after their full name in the display name field. As a result, all 2500 user have the exact same second initial of "S". Kind of ridiculous in my opinion.

• Rudi Theuns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree initials should first name (not second initial) and last name, for automated generation.
    However I would like keep using my personal recognised initials or if not possible first name and last name RT and not TJ as per display name - no one recognises me with these inititals ! I already facing business problems with this. (Using my personal account for business security reasons)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like it to read first name initial and last name initial. I was very confused about my last name, middle initial as I suspect others may be as well. I would not want anyone to delete my messages because they don't know who I am.

• Chase Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very annoying. Out organization is affected by this also. We have display names "Last, First" and the initials in the image show as "LF". I agree it should follow this progression:
    1) Does account have First Name (GivenName) and Last Name (SurName)? if yes use those for initials.
    2) Does DisplayName have a comma (,) that is not a followed by a Jr., Sr., II, III, IV, etc? If so, assume it is "Last, First" format and create initials accordingly.
    3) If neither of above exist, if there are three words then assume " First Middle Last" format and create initials with "FML".
    4) If none of above, and two words assume "First Last" format and create initials accordingly, "FL".

Added bonus, maybe allow user to specify what to display. This way we can fix account that are for example "IT Department" to not be "ID", but rather "IT" and leave the "D" out entirely.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I can't believe it doesn't just take the first letter of the first name and then the first letter of the last name, the display name is irrelevant. It makes it confusing, my initials are BC, but office 365 displays them as CB, which are the initials of my manager.

Feedback and Knowledge Base