Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Excel Online - Copy sheets

It is not possible to copy or move sheets in Excel online. We need at least a "duplicate" function.

211 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Roland Kreuzinger shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Stacey Cherny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a joke. I don't use Office all that much, but whenever I do I come across **** like this. Why can't all the versions be the same? My University Office 365 doesn't cover Macs, so I'm stuck with the crippled Web version. Great stuff.

• Angela Ferrall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

my company just moved to the 365 format. What a useless waste of time and money. I am tossing my company issued lap top in an old drawer and bringing my personal laptop to work.

• Christopher Clark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Duplicating within the workbook is fine, but working for a company who has dropped all licensing for installed versions and now being forced to work in Excel Online exclusively, the limitations of this horrible excuse for an online application have crippled my workflow on multiple projects. Now I can't duplicate sheets across workbooks. I have one workbook with blank templates, which I used to copy into other workbooks based on their physical location before editing the sheets. I guess I can't do that anymore...

How can this even pass for a version of Office when so much functionality is removed???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, if you go to File, Save As, Download a copy for both the files, then you can open them in excel and copy over. However you have to re-upload them to online again, so still not ideal....

• Danika Setaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so inconvenient! Even if you copy the sheet to the clipboard and try to paste the data into a new blank sheet in the other file the formatting doesn't copy over. This is terrible for complicated conditional formatting rules. I hate this. You should definitely add "Move or Copy Sheet" function to 365; the utility of the application is severely limited by lack of this feature/function. Big time waster!

• Andrew Stadden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As per other comments, the first time I tried to use Excel in Microsoft 365 I found I was wasting my time as I need to duplicate sheets. It took me a frustrating hour or so to realise that this simple function couldn't be accomplished in 365.

I ran into same problem today for a file that is co-authored. I'm not even in the online version...I'm at my office working directly from my OneDrive folder but when I try to duplicate the tab from my excel file, my "shared" version doesn't come up in the list of options to duplicate/move to. Super super frustrating..

• Tirra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ditto - super frustrating. How in a modern cloud based application is this SIMPLE functionality not available?! So much wasted time and frustration - just wish my workplace would go to Google Docs!!!

• Meagh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to copy a tab in a workbook this is very disappointing. How could you create excel in a cloud and not provide this basic function? Please add this feature you making my job harder than it needs to be.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add another yes along with the ability to have a formula point to another worksheet. Or you can rename this to basic spreadsheet 101 and announce you don't have Excel online because so much is limited it doesn't feel like Excel anymore.

• Suzanne Goertz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I NEED to copy a worksheet to a new tab or file on a daily basis for almost every file I work in. Unless I physically go to the office 7 days a week, I can not do this without working from home or working 3 times as hard when I come in on Monday. Please make this feature available online ASAP.

utterly useless... my very first time using Excel Online and the first thing I need to do is copy a worksheet and it is not possible!?!? So here I am sitting in a coffee shop ready to get some work done and I can't do anything because Microsoft sucks. Wasted day and time!

• Marjorie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in a working document. I want to keep my notes for myself. I need to submit a cleaned up version to an outside entity. I did not want separate files. Why can't I copy and move the tab as a duplicate? Please return to this standard functionality!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base